Airborne Goblin 2x10 gear noise and slip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Airborne Goblin 2x10 gear noise and slip

Hey guys got my goblin tunedup for season took it on ride today and it shifted smoothly but when in the big chain ring and the 2nd to lowest casette ring its making noise and when I started to pedal hard it totally slipped. Could thid be from an off adjustment or something else. I also notice in some gears a little chain rub on frame. I've read certain combos are no good to be I'm but I don't tjink I had this problem last season.Thanks for help in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not sure if this helps but all the other gears on the big chain ring are good except for when its combined with the 2nd to smallest cassette ring. Starts with a few noises than under slight pressure it slipped and seemed to throw the chain off of the cassette ring

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not a wrencher but when i had similar problems i ended up needing to replace the rear derailleur hanger and the quick release skewers (original goblin)... Taking into account it was just tuned so your derailleur should be set appropriately....
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A loose skewer can cause problems like that. I've also seen derailleur hangers do it, but a good tune up should eliminate that since there are tools for ensuring that they are perfectly straight. Recently I installed a new derailleur hanger from a supplier (not Airborne) on a Goblin frame and noted shifting issues, but this was on the stand. I found that the replacement bolt that held the hanger on was over-long. This caused the frame/derailleur/cassette angle to be slightly off when tension was applied to the skewer because the bolt sits just under the lip of the skewer. We switched back to the slightly shorter oem bolt and it fixed the shifting problems.

I also had issues like that on my Goblin when I broke the rear axle. It would shift fine on the stand. But out on the trail it would shift poorly and make odd noises when under strain. Airborne replaced it with a stronger chro-mo unit for me.

There are probably a number of other possibilities too. But those are the ones that I've experienced.

Where is the chain contacting the frame? The only time that normally happens is with chain slap on the chain stay. But I'm guessing that you are talking about something else?

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Brought it back to shop made some more adjustment and seems to be okay now no noise and slip.. Bad news is that I brought bike there orginally to fix a loud clank noise along with a very slight slip when it clannks. He replaced bottom bracket said there was a lot of play and did the tune up. Unfortunarely this didnt fix the clank it seems to only do it big chain ring and the 3rd smallest casette ring under pressure not on a stand any ideas?