Airborne/Flyte warranty review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Airborne/Flyte warranty review

There was some speculation when Airborne changed their branding to Flyte and changed their product line last year, how well they would service warranted Airborne products. Especially since there is no Ti 29er in their current product line. So part of the concern was, if you sent them a B-29 frame for warranty would they send you a Aluminum frame in return? Well here is the answer.

After 6 months of riding I noticed cracking on the seat stay wields. At first I wasnít sure if they were cracks because they were so small. So I watched them over a few months time. The cracks grew to around 20mm. That started to concern me. So I sent Dan, at Airborne, an e-mail with some pictures. He told me that he wouldnít know for sure until I sent the bike in, but that from the pictures it looked like they would need to replace the bike.

When he received the bike, he told me they would build me a new frame but they donít have any of the decals. Thatís fine with me, I think I might like the clean Ti better anyway. 4 Ė 6 week delivery time. Seems reasonable. I used the opportunity to request a new stronger configuration of the seat stay wields alla Van Nicholas.

http://www.vannicholas.com/WbmBikeHo...RdJZZ1WJEJw%3d

No diceÖ

Thatís not surprising because I know Airborne/Flyte is not a custom builder. I didnít expect if to fly, I just threw it out there.

So anyways, the 6 week count down begins. Bummer that I missed the race at Greenbrier. Now, what to do about a back up bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good luck with that one

I was wondering the same thing. Still sending it in seems like a great idea, I've seen catestrophic ti failure (AC seatpost) and it wasn't pretty.
    Almost ended up with a razor sharp Ti enema.
    29er Fan!

I'm a dog person
    What was the final outcome?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    this seems odd, wasn't there just recently a thread where a guy was b!tching about Flyte not being able to warranty his B29 ti frame. It seems like they were going to send him a ti road frame instead or something, If they are going to send an actual mountain bike frame that is spectacular. Also, I think you are lucky they are warrantying it at all. It shows good will on their part. They probably don't have to do anything at all, since they are a new/separate company I believe from the old Airbourne.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    this seems odd, wasn't there just recently a thread where a guy was b!tching about Flyte not being able to warranty his B29 ti frame. It seems like they were going to send him a ti road frame instead or something, If they are going to send an actual mountain bike frame that is spectacular. Also, I think you are lucky they are warrantying it at all. It shows good will on their part. They probably don't have to do anything at all, since they are a new/separate company I believe from the old Airbourne.
    This thread is nearly 5 months old.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'm a dog person
    Nevermind...I just found your other thread on the subject.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

The Duuude, man...
    With Ti being so easy to repair, why not just re-weld it a bit there...looks like the weld is just coming loose...not a cracked tube or anything....
    FS: Everything

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    This thread is nearly 5 months old.
    my bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0