Airborne Bikes released a $600 Entry Level 29er HT- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    321

    Airborne Bikes released a $600 Entry Level 29er HT

    Article with Press Release available HERE It seems like the part spec is pretty good at that pricepoint and I know their other 29er got really good reviews from Dirt Magazine and others.... Just a heads up for those in the market ....
    Soil Taste Tester

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,548
    That actually seems like a pretty decent spec for $600. The fork tubes don't look like the tiny 28mm stanchions you often see on budget bikes, which is a good start.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,624
    Isn't this the company that rose from the ashes of Iron Horse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    No moss...

  4. #4
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    They were distributed through one of Randall Scott's many net outlets until last year, can't comment on actual ownership of the brand though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Isn't this the company that rose from the ashes of Iron Horse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    They were distributed through one of Randall Scott's many net outlets until last year, can't comment on actual ownership of the brand though.
    You guys are both right. This year they are supposedly moving towards all original designs according to their FB page. I know the MTNBIKERIDERS.COM guys ride/test alot of their bikes and have been happy. Their DH team all rides the TAKA which is the old Yakuza ...
    Soil Taste Tester

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    963
    I spoke with Eric from Airborne today for 45 minutes about the Goblin. The new Guardian is the same frame as the Goblin. All geometry is identical with both frames. Looks like I'll be getting the Goblin for my nephew, and the Guardian for my wife. This company seems like they're doing everything right with their product. If you pre-order the Guardian before they arrive in the States, shipping is free. I was very impressed with how Eric explained the philosophy behind Airborne at this point in time. Not sure who, or what they were before now, but I'm a believer.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

  7. #7
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    That actually seems like a pretty decent spec for $600. The fork tubes don't look like the tiny 28mm stanchions you often see on budget bikes, which is a good start.
    Rockshox TK28 is the old Dart, (28mm).

    I think you have to shell out $900 to get anything with a 32mm Tora quality fork these days.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  8. #8
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Isn't this the company that rose from the ashes of Iron Horse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The Airborne bikes are made in the same factory as the Iron Horse bikes were .. take it from there I guess.

    One of the 'flight crew' from airborne bikes didn't like me insinuating a larger link between the brands in this thread:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/st...-709577-2.html

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12
    Anyone have first hand experience with this brand? Thoughts?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    They were distributed through one of Randall Scott's many net outlets until last year, can't comment on actual ownership of the brand though.

    Isn't this the company that rose from the ashes of Iron Horse? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I hope no one minds me trying to clear all of this up again..........

    When Airborne was re-born in April of 2010, the Product Manager at that time utilized existing IH frame designs with some small tweaks on a few here and there. This was done in the interest of time and the fact that designing new frames takes a long time in regards to development and testing. Whether that decision was right or wrong can be argued, but it allowed the brand to get started and offer some good, value bikes to the public. The factory that Airborne used at the time used to make IH bikes, along with bikes for other companies such as Schwinn, GT, Cinelli, etc.

    At that time the online retailer was RS Cycles / GiantNerd (who is also the same company as BAMF). However, that relationship didn't work out for many reasons and Airborne severed ties with RS in May 2011. Airborne is in no way connected to, or owned by, any company that Randal Scott is affiliated with.

    In 2011 Airborne was under new Product Management, and began to work in new bikes that had no resemblance to any old IH designs or anything else off-the-shelf for that matter. Airborne also no longer uses that same original factory it started with. All of the new products like the Goblin, the Delta CX, and the Wingman have been big hits for us. Airborne is planning on releasing 7-8 new models thru the year this year at different times, ranging from some good value products like the Guardian to new higher spec'd DH and Park bikes.

    I hope that clears things up. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any additional questions. Thanks!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,548
    That's too bad then. They looked bigger in the pic...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Rockshox TK28 is the old Dart, (28mm).

    I think you have to shell out $900 to get anything with a 32mm Tora quality fork these days.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13
    Already set on buying one... Totally upgradable to the Goblin specs, or even higher. Noob here so its going to be a great base for me to get my feet wet on.

  13. #13
    1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Reputation: Koppuh Klyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Rockshox TK28 is the old Dart, (28mm).

    I think you have to shell out $900 to get anything with a 32mm Tora quality fork these days.
    Looks like youre gonna have to spend more than that.

    For example Specialized Bicycle Components : Rockhopper Comp 29

    Edit- sorry for the "bad" example. The Guardian looks like an awesome alternative to the other bikes in that price point.
    Last edited by Koppuh Klyde; 03-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

  14. #14
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Any relationship to Airborne Ti road/MTB bike that were distributed in Madison back in 1999?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Any relationship to Airborne Ti road/MTB bike that were distributed in Madison back in 1999?
    Legally, there is no relationship.

    But two of us that work here at the current Airborne used to be with the first Airborne company.

    I personally still have 3 old Ti Airborne rigs in my garage: a Lucky Strike, a Torch, and a Ti Hag.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  16. #16
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Legally, there is no relationship.

    But two of us that work here at the current Airborne used to be with the first Airborne company.
    As an owner of a Flyte Celsius 29 I have to ask this- Given Airborne's past history of not warranting defective fames and then going bankrupt, why would or should anyone buy a 2012 product?

    Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

    I'm a little fuzzy trying to remember details from a decade ago (and you claim you were there) but when Airborne quit answering emails and phone calls from road/mtb riders with broken frames and other issues I got the impression they were left twisting in the wind. If the people who acted that way then are still there now, why should a chance be taken on a purchase?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    508
    Airborne? The company that made great ti bikes for so long... or is this something else?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    As an owner of a Flyte Celsius 29 I have to ask this- Given Airborne's past history of not warranting defective fames and then going bankrupt, why would or should anyone buy a 2012 product?

    Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

    I'm a little fuzzy trying to remember details from a decade ago (and you claim you were there) but when Airborne quit answering emails and phone calls from road/mtb riders with broken frames and other issues I got the impression they were left twisting in the wind. If the people who acted that way then are still there now, why should a chance be taken on a purchase?
    Sorry, I guess I needed to be more specific with you.

    The two of us that are here now left Airborne early. One in late 2001 and the other in late 2002. This was during the heyday of Airborne when it was doing very well. We both left to pursue other careers in the bike industry.

    Jamie, the founder of the company, continued on after that. When Airborne folded later on, Jamie founded Flyte. That bike you are talking about, and your problem, came from another company with another person at the helm. I don't know much about Flyte and what went on there at the end as I wasn't with them. Jamie is no longer in the bike industry.

    I'm sorry that you had problems with them, but we didn't have anything to do with that.

    There are certain elements that we liked about the first Airborne: direct-to-consumer (B to C), good value products, and great customer service. Its those things that we are proud to continue with this Airborne.

    I can understand your confusion, and all I can do is say I'm sorry you had issues with that other group of folks.I f you don't want to give us a fair shake because of that, I understand.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  19. #19
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Sorry, I guess I needed to be more specific with you.


    Jamie, the founder of the company, continued on after that. When Airborne folded later on, Jamie founded Flyte

    I don't know much about Flyte and what went on there at the end as I wasn't with them. Jamie is no longer in the bike industry.

    I'm sorry that you had problems with them, but we didn't have anything to do with that.

    I can understand your confusion, and all I can do is say I'm sorry you had issues with that other group of folks.I f you don't want to give us a fair shake because of that, I understand.

    That's good to hear. Just because it was Ti didn't make it invincible. I wanted to know if the original problems were addressed. I saw quite a few people who wanted to reach through their monitors and strangle the customer service people back then.

    So, good luck with the new line. I hope to see a single speed 29er at some point.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    963
    Deleted
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

  21. #21
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,357
    Wow. Such angst over the brand. Is no one excited at the value these bikes represent? I'm excited over these lower price-point bikes because they give me something I can recommend to friends and their kids who would never dream of spending $1000 for a bike. We need good choices at those price points so that newcomers to the sport will have good experiences and be motivated to continue.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    [QUOTE=JonathanGennick;9073583]Wow. Such angst over the brand.[QUOTE]



    The "brand" does have many connections to "names" that are well associated with "fail". It is healthy for the industry for these associations be dissected and the true information be disseminated.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post


    The "brand" does have many connections to "names" that are well associated with "fail". It is healthy for the industry for these associations be dissected and the true information be disseminated.
    We've given full disclosure all along.

    With all due respect, just because RS used to sell our product at one time does not mean we are connected to them. RS sells close-outs and current models from many brands, does that make anything that those brands do in the future full of "fail"?

    As far as the connection with the old Airborne from years back, we've covered that as well.

    If you feel that we have done anything shady, or that there is some consipiracy afoot, please give us the details so that we can all be in the loop.

    Thanks~
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We've given full disclosure all along.

    With all due respect, just because RS used to sell our product at one time does not mean we are connected to them. RS sells close-outs and current models from many brands, does that make anything that those brands do in the future full of "fail"?

    As far as the connection with the old Airborne from years back, we've covered that as well.

    If you feel that we have done anything shady, or that there is some consipiracy afoot, please give us the details so that we can all be in the loop.

    Thanks~




    With all do respect, the subject comes up every time the name "Airborne" is mentioned, and it is alway's the same questions. It not my intention to bash the name, I am just pointing out the obvious. Sorry if you don't like it, but its not the last time the question will be posed.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13
    What I find ridiculous is guys like you who bash a group of guys because of the name. And you aren't just putting facts out there, its propaganda. You bring up a whole different group of people with the same name and say that these new guys are the same as the old guys because they share a common name. If your not telling people to stay away from buying from them, what ARE you doing?

    Basically, you're saying you can't trust anyone with the last name Smith because one Smith burned a bunch of people 10 years ago... How many other people out there named Smith are bad people compared to those who are good? Just because they share a name doesn't mean they share ethics, or business practices!

    Obviously I feel quite differently than you do, but I give people a fair shot before I decide what I think of them. And in this case, anyone offering a decent bike at a phenomenal price, I give the benefit of the doubt to.

  26. #26
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by motoroilmccall View Post
    What I find ridiculous is guys like you who bash a group of guys because of the name. And you aren't just putting facts out there, its propaganda. You bring up a whole different group of people with the same name and say that these new guys are the same as the old guys because they share a common name. If your not telling people to stay away from buying from them, what ARE you doing?

    Basically, you're saying you can't trust anyone with the last name Smith because one Smith burned a bunch of people 10 years ago... How many other people out there named Smith are bad people compared to those who are good? Just because they share a name doesn't mean they share ethics, or business practices!

    Obviously I feel quite differently than you do, but I give people a fair shot before I decide what I think of them. And in this case, anyone offering a decent bike at a phenomenal price, I give the benefit of the doubt to.



    Please point out the "bashing" that has gone on in this thread. This comes up a couple of times a year because of the name and the fact that many people associate it with past associations and actions. Until the they overcome the association this question will persist.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Please point out the "bashing" that has gone on in this thread. This comes up a couple of times a year because of the name and the fact that many people associate it with past associations and actions. Until the they overcome the association this question will persist.
    This.

    This thread has besn informative in pointing out previous shortcomings of a similar company. As a person just getting in to mountain and who has the Goblin on his shortlist, I appreciate the questions that have been brought to the table and the fact that the reps from Airborne have taken part as well. I would expect nothing less as I have only heard fantastic things about their customer service.

  28. #28
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by motoroilmccall View Post
    What I find ridiculous is guys like you who bash a group of guys because of the name. And you aren't just putting facts out there, its propaganda. You bring up a whole different group of people with the same name and say that these new guys are the same as the old guys because they share a common name. If your not telling people to stay away from buying from them, what ARE you doing?
    .
    I felt the need to ask if the people who had been at the old version of Airborne were still associated with the new version of Airborne. I don't think it's ridiculous. This is a small industry and not that much time has transpired since the problems had existed.

    Unless he lied, and I don't get that impression, it's a new company doing its best to have a product that we can use. Only time will tell otherwise and we'll have to wait and see.

    If the previous management were still associated with the current version I'd have a different opinion and I'd be saying different things. but they're not so I'm fine with the new company. I think I said that earlier and if I didn't I'm saying it now.

    I hope we can buy Airbornes with confidence and i don't think there's any reason why we can't.

    Is that plain enough for you?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13
    Sounds better to me!

  30. #30
    U sayin' Bolt ?
    Reputation: knutso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,324
    Sounds like you guys at the new Airborne are on your game and learning the same thing ALOT of people in biking and banking industries learned recently: Although dealing with the 'Iron Horse RScottW Conglomerate' may seem like a good deal it can wind up biting you in the butt .

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    321
    I know they are very responsive and active on their FB page with ownrs and potential owners of their product FWIW ...
    Soil Taste Tester

  32. #32
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,938
    More power to ya! I absolutely loved my Airbourne back in the day. I'd still have it if it would have been a 29er. Glad to see a great brand back. Hopefully you guys will get into the Ti side of things soon. And one thing, keep the mono seatstay look. That was what sold me on it at first. Very cool design and look.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  33. #33
    Titanium junkie
    Reputation: Loudviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,429
    Speaking from the bike industry back when Airborne did Ti bikes, the brand was
    helped along in it's demise by the bicycle industry as a whole. I can name companys
    that went above and beyond to convince the public that Airborne sucked, the frames were
    lower quality, it wasn't made in the U.S.A.ect, ect. Working in a bike shop at that time, I can
    remember a crapload of other brands of bikes that came in with busted frames, and crappy
    warranty service. Once again I will state that I have, and will continue to have a 1998 Airborne
    Lucky Strike that is an absolute pleasure to ride, and I have never had an issue with it.
    I'm sure some will think it strange, but if it breaks, I'll have it fixed before I buy something else.
    And as I posted awhile ago, it's sad when a bike not made in the U.S. pay's tribute to America
    and Britain in the names on the bikes while I haven't seen an American company do this.
    I think if they are given the chance, the New Airborne will succeed in bringing good bikes
    to the masses, at a price people can afford. I wish them luck, and maybe I will break down and
    get one to go with the Lucky Strike.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    225
    very temping, I think it would kill me to spend my "get back into riding" money on a bike I dont know when I would see, with an estimated date of about a month...

  35. #35
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    very temping, I think it would kill me to spend my "get back into riding" money on a bike I dont know when I would see, with an estimated date of about a month...
    There are several reviews out there on the Goblin, which is the same frame. As for the date, probably no one would blame you for waiting until the bikes were on the shelf and available.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    There are several reviews out there on the Goblin, which is the same frame. As for the date, probably no one would blame you for waiting until the bikes were on the shelf and available.
    Yeah, everyone I see in a quick search LOVEs the Goblin (and if my bank account approved, I'd be biting on one of those)
    I love the component spec on the Guardian, it's incredible for the price! The Specialized Rockhopper is the closes comparison if I were to shop @ the LBS and it's $300 more!
    The decision wouldnt be so tough if they werent offering free shipping right now. The time crunch is what makes it a tougher choice.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    96
    FWIW, I love my Goblin. I seem to ride it more than my Specialized FS. Eric was more than happy to answer my questions. If you want that personal experience, visit your LBS. if you want a quality product at a price no LBS will touch, these are your guys.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.