The Airborne 29er

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/10/...and-rumors-11/
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member

NON STOCK Airborne 29er prototype

Parts, graphics, etc not finalized yet....

mtbr member
    Sounds like it will be a smartly spec'd bike by all accounts.

No piece of crap RS Dart fork or anything.....good on ya Airborne guys.

mtbr member
    Yeah, here is a quick rundown of parts:

WTB Trail 29's
    Reba RL Dual Air fork
    SRAM X7 2x10 complete group
    Avid Elixir R brakes
    Small Block 8 tires
    Selle San Marco SPID saddle
    Airborne alloy 6061 bars, stem, seatpost
    WTB Dual Compound grips

Shooting for an $1199 retail

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm More Non-Stock Photos...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is there an anticipated release date?

Rohloff
    Airborne Paka Wallup 29 Ti

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Early 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by dbauer
    Quote Originally Posted by GRT
    When this new 29er hits the internet for sale in early 2011, be sure to pick up one of these truly unique mountain bikes.
    Not sure if that is pre-release orders or actual sale, receive your new Airborne 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbauer
    Word on the street is February-ish.

Some more details here:
    http://www.gregridestrails.com/2010/...k-preview.html
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

mtbr member
    The plan is to have bikes in the warehouse ready to ship mid-to-late February.

Geometry, specs, and other info should be up on the website shortly.

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer
    The plan is to have bikes in the warehouse ready to ship mid-to-late February.

Geometry, specs, and other info should be up on the website shortly.

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Jeremy
    Will we see them in Europe?
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

banned
    aluminum? really?

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142
    aluminum? really?
    I know. Kind of sad. Airborne was know for inovative Ti on the cheap. They had the Paka Wallup (a softail 26er with 2" of pivotless travel), the B-29 (they were early on with the 29er thing), Carpe Diem (Ti cyclocross/touring bike). I believe all or most their frames were titanium and they were priced nicely. I loved their website. You could pick the frame and packages and then pick through different parts to create a custom build. They clearly spelled out the price and weight difference with each part. I use to spend hours on their site drooling over bikes and parts. I had their Zepplin road bike and it was great. I selected an mid level build with a few choice upgrades. I'd be all over a Paka Wallup 29er if they had it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    I know. Kind of sad. Airborne was know for inovative Ti on the cheap. They had the Paka Wallup (a softail 26er with 2" of pivotless travel), the B-29 (they were early on with the 29er thing), Carpe Diem (Ti cyclocross/touring bike). I believe all or most their frames were titanium and they were priced nicely. I loved their website. You could pick the frame and packages and then pick through different parts to create a custom build. They clearly spelled out the price and weight difference with each part. I use to spend hours on their site drooling over bikes and parts. I had their Zepplin road bike and it was great. I selected an mid level build with a few choice upgrades. I'd be all over a Paka Wallup 29er if they had it.
    I used to do the same exact thing with their website. They are now selling cheap aluminum frames? It must just be someone that bought the name rather than the same company. The frame looks like one of those REI Marin 29ers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is a completely original design.
    Last edited by poontank; 11-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    Nope, this is a completely original design.
    cool, it looks so RAD.

mtbr member
    aluminum? really?
    That's great that you liked what the first Airborne company offered in regards the website and products. I was a part of that and I agree; it was innovative. I learned a lot during my time there and it was one of the best experiences I've had, I was key in the development of the first Airborne 29er and I remember taking the first one for a test ride, coming back to the office grinning ear to ear.

Unfortunately the business model just didn't work the first go-round. Too many choices on a build with a short (48hour) turn-around guarantee meant astronomically high inventory levels and costs.

As I've stated before we are going after a different market of riders. If you don't like what we have to offer now, that's OK. Not everyone will. Just like the first Airborne was often slagged here on mtbr for offering "Chinese Army Titanium", I expected some sort of negative commentary about the new direction of products (yes I've been on mtbr since 2000 although not under my new login: It had been awhile since I posted and lost my info, so I started over earlier this year).

I used to do the same exact thing with their website. They are now selling cheap aluminum frames? It must just be someone that bought the name rather than the same company. The frame looks like one of those REI Marin 29ers.
    cool, it looks so RAD.
    It is not a copy of anything out on the market, nor is it an "off the shelf" alu frame. I put a lot of time and effort into design, tubeshape, angles, and countless hours of ride testing (both myself and a group of 7 other riders of varying sizes and weights). A lot of thought has gone into this model. In my opinion its a lot of bike for $1199. If that doesn't appeal to you, that's OK. I would be nice, though, if you offered constructive, thoughtful input rather than slagging a new product based on a small photo of it in pre-production state and no personal experience with the product.

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me.

Thanks,

Jeremy

NMBP
    $1200 and it comes with a Reba, Elixirs, full X7? That is a GREAT deal! Now tell me the XL/XXL has a really long head tube!

Rohloff
    I hear you Jeremy. I'll add this. Titanium is cool. Innovation is cool. And I know it's hard to come up with a lot of money and hit the ground running with all kinds of high dollar inventory. I think it was the old Airborne website that was the key. If you take what you've got and just put some decent parts/weight selection like the old website at a great price point, I think you'd have something going again. You don't have to turn it around in 48 hours. How about a week? It would be pretty cool to get a custom build for a nice price in a week or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    $1200 and it comes with a Reba, Elixirs, full X7? That is a GREAT deal! Now tell me the XL/XXL has a really long head tube!

Thanks, I think so as well. I'm very excited about this bike and can't wait to get it to market.

The 22inch frame has a 130mm HT length. I went back and forth regarding HT length on that largest size and decided that 130mm was a good "in-between" length for people like me who like to run their bars fairly low in regards to saddle height, and the guys who like them a little taller. Both can get what they want depending on stem rise/fall and bar choice (riser/flat) after purchase. The bike also comes with 35mm of stack height/washers and a flat 640mm width bar. Stock stem is a 9 degree rise/fall and can be ran either way (the Airborne graphics are made so that it can be in either direction and not look "upside down").

I hear you Jeremy. I'll add this. Titanium is cool. Innovation is cool. And I know it's hard to come up with a lot of money and hit the ground running with all kinds of high dollar inventory. I think it was the old Airborne website that was the key. If you take what you've got and just put some decent parts/weight selection like the old website at a great price point, I think you'd have something going again. You don't have to turn it around in 48 hours. How about a week? It would be pretty cool to get a custom build for a nice price in a week or two.
    Thanks for the thoughtful input! The sort of website and build that you describe might be possible in the future if we continue to do well. Right now its just not in the cards due to the fact it would be taxing on us in regards to inventory and manpower. I'm not ruling anything out; with continued success the business model could change.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

banned
    That's great that you liked what the first Airborne company offered in regards the website and products. I was a part of that and I agree; it was innovative. I learned a lot during my time there and it was one of the best experiences I've had, I was key in the development of the first Airborne 29er and I remember taking the first one for a test ride, coming back to the office grinning ear to ear.

Unfortunately the business model just didn't work the first go-round. Too many choices on a build with a short (48hour) turn-around guarantee meant astronomically high inventory levels and costs.

As I've stated before we are going after a different market of riders. If you don't like what we have to offer now, that's OK. Not everyone will. Just like the first Airborne was often slagged here on mtbr for offering "Chinese Army Titanium", I expected some sort of negative commentary about the new direction of products (yes I've been on mtbr since 2000 although not under my new login: It had been awhile since I posted and lost my info, so I started over earlier this year).

It is not a copy of anything out on the market, nor is it an "off the shelf" alu frame. I put a lot of time and effort into design, tubeshape, angles, and countless hours of ride testing (both myself and a group of 7 other riders of varying sizes and weights). A lot of thought has gone into this model. In my opinion its a lot of bike for $1199. If that doesn't appeal to you, that's OK. I would be nice, though, if you offered constructive, thoughtful input rather than slagging a new product based on a small photo of it in pre-production state and no personal experience with the product.

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for the insight into your process of bringing this bike to market and I wasn't bashing on your design skills and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings on your new design. The point I was attempting to make was that I found it hard to believe that an innovative frame company, like Airborne used to be, would introduce an aluminum, that in my opinion, looks kinda generic. Don't want to discourage you from building what you think will sell but aluminum isn't most people's first choice in hardtail's any longer. Either way, sorry I voiced an opinion on the bike. In the future I will remember to only comment on frames or bikes that I have owned or might be interested in owning one day.

mtbr member
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for the insight into your process of bringing this bike to market and I wasn't bashing on your design skills and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings on your new design. The point I was attempting to make was that I found it hard to believe that an innovative frame company, like Airborne used to be, would introduce an aluminum, that in my opinion, looks kinda generic. Don't want to discourage you from building what you think will sell but aluminum isn't most people's first choice in hardtail's any longer. Either way, sorry I voiced an opinion on the bike. In the future I will remember to only comment on frames or bikes that I have owned or might be interested in owning one day.

I have to say that that if you're trying to remain cost effective aluminum is the way to go (much better than cheap steel)... especially with what companies can do today
    May not be the first choice, but it also depends on the budget.
    Opinions are fine.. the bashing is alittle rough
    Last edited by toddre; 11-08-2010 at 10:28 AM.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    Parts, graphics, etc not finalized yet....
    This guy looks like he's strangling a dwarf! 6'6"? 24" wide bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    This guy looks like he's strangling a dwarf! 6'6"? 24" wide bars?

That's from just me playing around with the cockpit...lol... I hadn't realized I put the wrong length stem on until right before the ride... oh well
    Changes have been made to protect the Sasquatches ....

mtbr member
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for the insight into your process of bringing this bike to market and I wasn't bashing on your design skills and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings on your new design.
    No worries, my feelings weren't hurt. I've been down this road before with mtbr and have relatively thick skin.

The point I was attempting to make was that I found it hard to believe that an innovative frame company, like Airborne used to be, would introduce an aluminum, that in my opinion, looks kinda generic.
    I don't think you would say that it is generic if you saw better photos (forthcoming) or saw it in person.

Don't want to discourage you from building what you think will sell but aluminum isn't most people's first choice in hardtail's any longer.
    I would argue that at that $1199 price point for the bike as spec'd, alu is the norm for frame material. Its a bit of a blanket statement when someone says that alu frames all ride the same or are harsh. A lot has to do with material quality and type, tube shapes, spec, etc. Of course you know all of that so I won't go into a deep discussion but I do appreciate the input.

Either way, sorry I voiced an opinion on the bike. In the future I will remember to only comment on frames or bikes that I have owned or might be interested in owning one day.
    No worries. After all this is a discussion forum. I just have issues when people are quick to criticize with no back-up or experience with the product/company.

Regards,

Jeremy

banned

No worries. After all this is a discussion forum. I just have issues when people are quick to criticize with no back-up or experience with the product/company.

Regards,

Jeremy
    Does anyone besides the other 7 guys/posters on this thread have any experience with this frame?

Were you involved with Iron Horse bikes also? I looked at your website and the full suspension frames look exactly like the older lower end Iron Horse models.

mtbr member
    Does anyone besides the other 7 guys/posters on this thread have any experience with this frame?
    Many more here locally have ridden them but 7 have had them as dedicated personal test bikes. Only one other person in theis thread (besides me) has one at the moment. Why do you ask?

Were you involved with Iron Horse bikes also? I looked at your website and the full suspension frames look exactly like the older lower end Iron Horse models.
    I had nothing to do with the old Iron Horse company.

As I've stated in other threads the first runs of Airborne bikes this year were made by the same factory that used to make products for Iron Horse, with a few tweaks made to them. I had nothing to do with the development of that product.

I came on board at Airborne this summer as Product Manager and am working on new product going forward. This includes the 29er, a new jumpbike, and a disc-specific Cross bike.

Regards,

Jeremy

Members who have read this thread: 1