Ahhhh got that clank again and still no fix on my goblin- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44

    Ahhhh got that clank again and still no fix on my goblin

    Still.getting. loud intermittent loud clank and a slight slip. Did it twice on a 10k ride sounds like its comin from crank area. Replaced.bottom bracket and washers are in any ideas wht this could be everyone I asked seems cluless thanks in advance

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,967
    I see the . key is broken

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    302
    I wonder about the freehub. The way it is acting makes me wonder if it shouldn't be disassembled and checked. My SunRingles did something like that when they were new. I contacted them and they said that the ratchets sit in grease and sometimes the grease is a little too thick so they don't drop like they should causing it to slip a bit. On mine it made a bit of a clank sound but that was due to chain slap when it would happen. I used a lighter-weight gease and the problem was solved.

    Dunno if that could be issue here, but I thought my experience might be worth relating just in case. Good luck.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,767
    +1 to MikeinMinn, that would be the next logical thing to check. R&I the freehub and make sure the lock ring is tight when you get it back together.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44
    Yea I'm also not sure why bottom.bracket would go only got bout 600 miles on bike the sound really does sound like coming from crank area..so frustrating

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I see the . key is broken
    Huh?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    How many miles on your chain and chainrings? Could there be enough wear so that there is popping and the chain is trying to come off or ride up and over the worn teeth?

    Have you recently replaced the chain and not the rings?

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44
    No haven't replaced anything on bike except bottom bracket which the lbs thought was the culprit. Got bout 600-800 miles on bike but its been doing this for awile can't fogure it out its also quite dangerous

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toddre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,389
    I would bet it's a bad freehub body. Grab another wheel and throw it on there to see if you get the skipping. If not, there's your answer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
    No haven't replaced anything on bike except bottom bracket which the lbs thought was the culprit. Got bout 600-800 miles on bike but its been doing this for awile can't fogure it out its also quite dangerous
    I don't know about dangerous, but I could see where it would be really annoying and get in the way of enjoying your ride.

    At this point, if it were me, since the shop worked on it and said they fixed it and the problem still persists................I would take it back there and have their tech hop on it and ride it to try to replicate the issue so they can re-diagnose it.

    Could be one of many things: grease issue in the free-hub body, broken freehub, broken axle, broken or bent tooth on the chainring, bad link in the chain, prematurely worn chain and/or chainrings, loose or bad BB, etc.

    Good luck, and report back as to what it is when you find out!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I don't know about dangerous, but I could see where it would be really annoying and get in the way of enjoying your ride.

    At this point, if it were me, since the shop worked on it and said they fixed it and the problem still persists................I would take it back there and have their tech hop on it and ride it to try to replicate the issue so they can re-diagnose it.

    Could be one of many things: grease issue in the free-hub body, broken freehub, broken axle, broken or bent tooth on the chainring, bad link in the chain, prematurely worn chain and/or chainrings, loose or bad BB, etc.

    Good luck, and report back as to what it is when you find out!

    Jeremy
    Trust me its dangerous because all sudden im pedaling here a loud clank and the pedals give out for like half a second totally throwing me off rhythm im afraid my foot fall off pedal and the floor. It happened right next to my riding partner yesterday and he's like wow said same thing sounds like it came from crank area its loud debatin on sellin it I don't need the headache or being scared to ride hard

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Everyone here has listed every possible problem: chain, chainring, cassette, freehub or dérailleur alignment. Either take it back to the shop or try another shop. There is only so much people can do without seeing the bike.

    add one more: check your chainring bolts.
    Last edited by RSDSav; 04-20-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add one more to the list

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    44
    Replaced derailer hanger today and ill c what happens thanks for your input don't mean to be a burden was just seeing if anyone had same issue with there goblin thanks for help

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
    Trust me its dangerous because all sudden im pedaling here a loud clank and the pedals give out for like half a second totally throwing me off rhythm im afraid my foot fall off pedal and the floor. It happened right next to my riding partner yesterday and he's like wow said same thing sounds like it came from crank area its loud debatin on sellin it I don't need the headache or being scared to ride hard
    OK well "perceived danger" and danger are two different things but we wont get into that here because the important thing is that you get your bike working properly if your partner said wow it sounds like it came from crank area then it must be there of course so check that and sorry to hear that your debatin on sellin but maybe just get it looked at first versus internet diagnosis which is hard OK peace out thanks best of luck
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

Similar Threads

  1. 3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!
    By squashyo in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 07:28 AM
  2. AHHHH bike scratched my truck
    By Sickmak90 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
  3. Ahhhh! Goatheads
    By FromBackEast in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
  4. fox dyad rt2 - clank sound in elevate mode
    By radiomir79 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM
  5. Chain going crazy AHHHH!!! Help!!
    By LvilleFan in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.