Is 2.8 the biggest tire that will fit on rear of Griffin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Is 2.8 the biggest tire that will fit on rear of Griffin?

I notice there is not any extra space between the tire and the chain when the chain is on the biggest gear in the cassette. Does this mean the 2.8 is the largest tire that will work on the Griffin? The frame has more room to allow maybe a 3.0. Maybe a 3.25 would fit. But, it does not look like the chain will allow it. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried a larger tire in the back?

mtbr member
    I think a 3.0 would fit since that what it comes with. Mount the front tire, a 3.25, on the rear rim and see if it fits. Let us know.

mtbr member
    I think the only drawback would be tire rubbing on the chain in first gear, but you could always go with a zero offset front chainring to bring the chainline out to compensate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Your right it is a 3.0 in the rear. Thought it was 2.8 for some reason. That is a brilliant idea soul_chicken. I did not think of that. That would pull it away from the 3.25 tire if the chain rubs. With the 3.0, there is no extra room between the chain and tire. My tires are beginning to look worn out. So, I am looking at tires. I think if I go 3.25 front and rear it will be like my baby fat bike...ha ha. I just love the big tire up front. It rolls over so much and gets tons of grip. With a big 3.25 in the back it would be a beast...ha ha!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    Your right it is a 3.0 in the rear. Thought it was 2.8 for some reason. That is a brilliant idea soul_chicken. I did not think of that. That would pull it away from the 3.25 tire if the chain rubs. With the 3.0, there is no extra room between the chain and tire. My tires are beginning to look worn out. So, I am looking at tires. I think if I go 3.25 front and rear it will be like my baby fat bike...ha ha. I just love the big tire up front. It rolls over so much and gets tons of grip. With a big 3.25 in the back it would be a beast...ha ha!
    The bigger the better!! I think the only downside is the drivetrain might wear quicker since you move the chainline out 6mm. Either way, I am curious to see what you end up with as I will be in the market for tires later this season. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am looking for the Vee Tire Co T Fatty's online. There seem to be 3.25's readily available. But, I cant find 3.0's for sale anywhere. If the 3.25 does not work in the rear, I will have to get a different brand 3.0.

mtbr member
    You're supposed to use that gear? ;-{).

mtbr member
    The Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 should fit, there is only a few MM difference between the 3 and 3.25. One thing to look for is an "Inflated Width", not every tire in a 3" will be the exact same size. This is a pretty common "thing" in BMX, Ive seen 2.25 tires that are larger than a 2.4. So know, if you order a 3.25" from another tire company it may be a different size than a Vee 3.25". Try to see if they list that size. Some BMX mailorders will actually list the inflated width as well as the inflated diameter. Got to know if those 2.5" wide tires will fit in that 12.75" chainstay, haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I think I will order a 3.25 Vee Tire Fatty and mount it up front. Then, put the old 3.25 out back and see if it fits. If it doesn't, I will just find a 3.0 for the back and will be just fine. Bike-Geek, I practically live in that gear! If the tire is so big that I cannot use it, I will have develop stronger legs. Sounds too painful for me....

mtbr member
    My 42 is mint. I think I tried it once to see what it was like. Too many years of racing I guess. The Maxxis Rekon+ in 2.8 is a nice tire. Specialized is planning on the Butcher in 2.6 and 2.8. Northeast singletrack can be very rocky and hilly. Many 10 mile rides have 1000+ of climbing so we have the hills.....