mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")

OK, so the more I google search (and read forum posts) the more confused I get...

I have a 2014 Orbea Occam H20 Bike, and I think the rear axle setup is a 135 x 10 QR. It has a quick release lever and a ~5mm thick axle that provides the clamping force, but the actual axle in the hub measures out at around 9.85mm.

I want to get another wheelset so that I can quickly and easily swap between off road and commuting slicks (that I can also ride on my indoor trainer).

I'm pretty sure the front is a QR 15 (has a quick release lever, but a thick through-axle not a skewer).

Assuming these mean I have 135 x 10? QR rear?

Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-fullsizerender-12.jpgYet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-fullsizerender-13.jpg
    Last edited by sbsyncro; 08-27-2017 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    More pix of the rear hub and dropouts..
    Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1172.jpgYet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1168.jpgYet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1176.jpgYet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1174.jpgYet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1173.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-img_1167.jpg  

damned rocks...
    That's a normal 135mm QR hub.
    The only thing abnormal are the dropouts, and your skewers have to be slightly longer, that and you have to completely remove the skewers every time you want to remove the wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ok thank you. So this wheelset should work, then? http://m.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XT-WH-...s/263095691316

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
    Ok thank you. So this wheelset should work, then? Shimano XT WH-M785 Disc 29" MTB XC Wheelset (15mm/QR) Centerlock Disc, Tubeless | eBay

Don't know about your front wheel.
    The rear hub on the link you provided is stated as QR 135mm, so I don't see any reason for it to not work with your bike.
    The hubs on the link are CenterLock, not that's anything wrong with it, just to make sure you noticed it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ah, crap - didn't even realize that was another variable to be aware of. If I get that wheeleset and use centerlock rotors, will everything else line up properly, or does the entire system have to be designed for 6-bolt OR Centerlock? (in other words, the only thing that changes is the rotor mount).

Damn, its ridiculous how this industry has diverged into dozens of differing proprietary standards and then tweaked them every year without maintaining inter-operability and backwards compatibility.. From '95 through 2002 when I was racing and paying attention to all this stuff, the only thing we had to worry about was the length of the elastomers in our shocks. LoL . Yea, I sound old...

damned rocks...
    It's just a different type of rotor mount, some prefer 6Bolt others swear by Centerlock.
    All in all the CenterLock system is usually slightly lighter and easier to install and remove the rotors, and it uses a normal cassette removal tool.
    Oh! And as a bonus you can use the Freeza rotors from Shimano with CenterLock .

As a rule I try to only buy things that are widely accepted as "standard", buts it's getting difficult each year.

damned rocks...
    One other thing, nothing will guarantee that when swapping wheels, you wont have to make adjustments to you gears and brake calipers, even if you have the same hubs on different wheels.

But usually if something doesn't align with different wheels, you will just need to use some rotor shims, and if you don't want to adjust your gears, normally its just the limits, and you have the clearance for it, some cassette spacer will make everything to align.
    But there is no guarantees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    It's just a different type of rotor mount, some prefer 6Bolt others swear by Centerlock.
    All in all the CenterLock system is usually slightly lighter and easier to install and remove the rotors, and it uses a normal cassette removal tool.
    Oh! And as a bonus you can use the Freeza rotors from Shimano with CenterLock .

As a rule I try to only buy things that are widely accepted as "standard", buts it's getting difficult each year.
    Thanks. By "freeza" do you mean the "Ice Tech" XT ones? I notice they are 4x the price of the regular SLX-grade ones ($60 vs. $15). I just have SLX calipers and levers - does it really matter which rotors I use?

One wheelset will be for street (with probably an 11-32 casette) and the other for mountain with 11-36 cassette. I suppose I could load up the offroad wheelset with upgraded goodies and put the cheaper/heavier stuff on the road slick setup...

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated!

A forum search turned up this thread about 6-bolt vs. Centerlock, which was helpful:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/6-...on-695113.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Roger that - I expect to need a minor adjustment to calipers and (possibly) derailleur travel when swapping the wheels back and forth. Still a lot faster than uninstalling tires & tubes and reinstalling a different set of tires/tubes.

damned rocks...
    No, I mean the XTR SM-RT99 the ones with the fins .
    It doesn't really matter what "level" of rotors you have, it's just that the Freeza ones looks "cooler".
    Unless you are bombing downhill and a rotor with better heat management will help you to have less overheating and fade, any rotor compatible with your brakes and hubs will work the same, despite one costing 15$ and the other 60$.
    Last edited by Aglo; 08-28-2017 at 09:23 PM.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Or you could just get a cheap road bike for commuting/indoor trainer duty since that's not really what the Occam excels at. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That 135 with 9 mm skewer going through the hole that needs to be removed each time you remove the wheel is funky.

Looks like you should be able to convert that dropout to 142x12 and use a through axle:

http://forums.mtbr.com/orbea/looking...m-1043138.html

But then you wouldn't be able to use your existing wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys - super helpful info; and the thread about conversion to 142mm thru-axle is greatly appreciated!

For the ~$400 or so I'm going to end up spending on another wheelset, tires, rotors, etc I could probably (definitely) get a cheap road/hybrid bike but my problem is having a place to store it. I figured with a set of wheels I could just hang them flat on a wall when not in use.

This thread is getting me motivated to start upgrading this bike and to do more riding! I absolutely love the way it handles but now I see there might be a good way to stiffen the rear triangle which I've always felt was it's only real weakness. (But then as you pointed out I'm back to square 1 on the spare wheelset idea...). Decisions, decisions...

Thanks!

damned rocks...
    You can get the dropouts directly from Orbea's site.
    One thing you can do, is get your new wheels with convertible end caps. That way you can use them with your current dropouts, and if you decide to upgrade the dropouts later on, you can just swap the endcapds.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
    Thanks guys - super helpful info; and the thread about conversion to 142mm thru-axle is greatly appreciated!

For the ~$400 or so I'm going to end up spending on another wheelset, tires, rotors, etc I could probably (definitely) get a cheap road/hybrid bike but my problem is having a place to store it. I figured with a set of wheels I could just hang them flat on a wall when not in use.
    The last one is my favorite, but I can't seem to find it in stores.

Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-bikes-organization-ideas.jpg

Yet another rear axle size question (or "What wheelset do I need...")-indoor-bike-rack-indoor-bike-storage.jpg

Name:  debby-yogogirls-bamboo-bike-conscious-living-410x481.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  65.8 KB

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    The last one is my favorite, but I can't seem to find it in stores.
    (...)
    It was recalled due to patent infringement.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    It was recalled due to patent infringement.
    I blame Specialized.

TRANCER
    I went to the 12x142 drop outs on my Occam and i couldn't be happier. Huge difference... And if you ever want to go back to the 135 you just switch the drop outs again.
    Ride