Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jadis3 View Post
    Is a 15mm QR made by Syntace like it was on my Velvet?
    Yes. It is a Syntace 15mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Yes. It is a Syntace 15mm.
    Thank you for the reply. I like this Syntace axle more than other axles due to its easement in engage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anyone who is riding the Slide also have experience with the RST M29? If so, can you compare the two?

TIA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys, question about this fork. I've been running mine for a little while and have been liking it more than the reba it replaced. I started realizing that I wasn't getting full travel so I though I would check that out. The exposed stantions measure 120mm. However if I release the air the fork compresses all the way except the last 20mm, leaving 20mm exposed stantion. Does that mean its set at 100mm? It seems strange since in the travel adjust instructions it says to verify by measuring the stantions... I want it to be 120...
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jeff

mtbr member
    The Slide is a 120mm fork that is adjusted internally to either 80mm, 100mm or 120mm. If you are only getting 100mm travel, it sounds like you will have to go to the tech docs and change the travel internally. Or take it to your LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got no problem adjusting it internally myself, but shouldn't the fork use all the travel of the external stantions regardless of what it is set at internally?

mtbr member
    I am not too sure on that one, to be honest.

Maybe someone else will chip in....?

Maybe a call/email to X-Fusion might be in order. Either way, I would not mind finding out what you discover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here is the answer I got from x-fusion. Very promptly I might add.

The Slide exposes more stanchion than the actual travel. A Slide set to max travel 120mm will show around 135mm of stanchion. But to verify you will need to pull the air spring out. You might have built up some air pressure in the lowers not allowing you to get full bottom. You will have to purge the air out of the lowers by relieving the pressure from the bottom of the lowers.

Looks like I have some work to do to make it 120...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: X-Fusion Slide RL2

If u want to know what travel it is set to, measure the axle to crown. The A2C should be 526mm @ 120mm. & 506mm @ 100mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Also I just measured my Slide RL2 set at 100mm and it measures 135mm to the top of the lowers (not the seal).

You wouldn't want travel to use all of the stanchions as u need a Lil room for bottoming out.

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Good to know

mtbr member
    More good info. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does anyone who has this fork have a direct comparison to the recon gold? I am leaning toward getting this fork but the RS name is still drawing me in. I am curious what the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other are.

mtbr member
    I have a Reba and the Slide. The Slide is a hell of a lot stiffer than the Reba (but that is a 15mm vs a QR). It also seems to be a little more "solid" (hard to describe, just seems better able to survive if anything goes wrong. Completely subjective though).

I prefer the Slide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have been looking at the Rockshox recon lineup and the slide RL2. I actually just ordered a Slide RL2 on Sunday. I was on a budget and got one for $300 shipped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How does the slide handle the smaller stuff? In tucson our trails are littered with rocks. It's almost nonstop rolling over small to medium rock. I want as much plushness as possible for the money, especially in this aspect. Would the slide be worth it or should I open my budget a little and go for a tower pro?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maybe its just me but I am having a tough time dialing this fork in for the small stuff. I like the overall feeling of the fork and it has a stiffer feeling than an equal Reba, but can't get it right for the small stuff????

mtbr member
    where are you guys finding this fork for 300? Everything I've seen is closer to 400 with a tapered steerer

Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    where are you guys finding this fork for 300? Everything I've seen is closer to 400 with a tapered steerer
    If you sign up with Universal Cycles mailing list they send out codes every month... I'm guessing that is where. You can get 15% off anything over $300 using this months code: hotjuly15

Universal Cycles -- Product Search
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ebay. $280 new. bought mines during a sale for $225 new w/remote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Damn wish I could get that deal...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I paid $280 on ebay with $20 shipping.

mtbr member
    Something that I find interesting is that people in this thread are saying that X-Fusion has said that the these forks can use 100% of their set travel without bottoming out, while a poster in another thread about these forks in the Shox/suspension forum said that X-Fusion told him that he wasn't getting full travel because his fork came with too much oil in it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    I paid $280 on ebay with $20 shipping.
    Just an FYI X-Fusion will not warranty anything without a receipt. The fork probably will never have an issue, but it would be nice to have support if something comes up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    Something that I find interesting is that people in this thread are saying that X-Fusion has said that the these forks can use 100% of their set travel without bottoming out, while a poster in another thread about these forks in the Shox/suspension forum said that X-Fusion told him that he wasn't getting full travel because his fork came with too much oil in it...
    Was there a point in there somewhere?
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Just an FYI X-Fusion will not warranty anything without a receipt. The fork probably will never have an issue, but it would be nice to have support if something comes up.
    I know and I ended up deciding that was worth the risk for the price. I mean buying anything can be a gamble to an extent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Is anyone's fork kinda 'sticky' at the top end of travel?

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Mine was out of the box, but not now that it's been ridden.

Perpetual n00b
    I just picked up the second to last 80mm with remote lockout for $300 here: X Fusion Slide RL2R 29er White 1 1 8" 9mm Fork Remote Lock Out 80mm New | eBay

One left! Unless you want to get the 120mm and tear it apart to set the travel yourself.

Update: Looks like they have more in stock!
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 08-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Perpetual n00b

X-Fusion Slide RL2

Installed! I haven't put the remote lockout on yet though. 90psi (190lbs) and rebound 15 clicks back from full fast (40 click range) feels pretty good around the block.

X-Fusion Slide RL2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375813301.787691.jpg
    X-Fusion Slide RL2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375813315.651985.jpg
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 08-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah, looks awesome.!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Perpetual n00b
    Quick review...

I got in a few loops at a local trail system today and feel I got enough ride time on the fork to give some thoughts on it.

Setup: 90psi was a bit too much so I dropped it down to 80psi, then adjusted the rebound 5 clicks toward the fast side.

The most notable improvement over my old fork (2007 Rock Shox Reba SL 29) is how much stiffer it is. The vagueness I felt with the Reba in hard cornering is gone with the Slide. The first few times I took some tight corners fast I immediately thought "Wow, that is responsive!". It goes right where you point it. The Slide is about half a pound heavier but I never noticed it on the trail. The fork absorbs the small bumps nicely and even some bigger bumps went largely unnoticed. The Slide holds up better against big bumps than the Reba did. The Reba seemed to blow through travel way too easily. The Slide seems to use as much travel as is needed.

There is a little bit of stiction when I first took the bike off the rack but it never affected the ride. It might help if I left the bike upside down over night to get some oil on the wiper seals.

Most importantly, the fork gives me more confidence. I set quite a few PR and even made top 10 on a few segments. Anyone looking for a new fork should definitely consider the Slide. At the price I got my fork, I could buy two for the price of a new Reba or three for the price of a new Fox!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm going to get my first ride on my Slide this Sunday I'm excited.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It is good that you like your new Fork, But doing a back to back with a 2007 Reba isn't a test IMO.

I had 1 arrive for a bike I'm putting together next weekend & I have a new pike on my Rip9 RDO & have Revelation RCT3 on Jet9 RDO & Fox 34 & White brothers loop,on my friends Rip9's.

I do have High hopes that the X Fusion fork will be a great fork for the money & I'm very keen to see how it goes next to the other forks.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Quick review...

I got in a few loops at a local trail system today and feel I got enough ride time on the fork to give some thoughts on it.

Setup: 90psi was a bit too much so I dropped it down to 80psi, then adjusted the rebound 5 clicks toward the fast side.

The most notable improvement over my old fork (2007 Rock Shox Reba SL 29) is how much stiffer it is. The vagueness I felt with the Reba in hard cornering is gone with the Slide. The first few times I took some tight corners fast I immediately thought "Wow, that is responsive!". It goes right where you point it. The Slide is about half a pound heavier but I never noticed it on the trail. The fork absorbs the small bumps nicely and even some bigger bumps went largely unnoticed. The Slide holds up better against big bumps than the Reba did. The Reba seemed to blow through travel way too easily. The Slide seems to use as much travel as is needed.

There is a little bit of stiction when I first took the bike off the rack but it never affected the ride. It might help if I left the bike upside down over night to get some oil on the wiper seals.

Most importantly, the fork gives me more confidence. I set quite a few PR and even made top 10 on a few segments. Anyone looking for a new fork should definitely consider the Slide. At the price I got my fork, I could buy two for the price of a new Reba or three for the price of a new Fox!
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well I just dropped my Slide off at the LBS to get the travel adjusted to 120mm... i'm stoked about getting it back!! I'll gain some A2C back and be able to run it more plush.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It is good that you like your new Fork, But doing a back to back with a 2007 Reba isn't a test IMO.

I had 1 arrive for a bike I'm putting together next weekend & I have a new pike on my Rip9 RDO & have Revelation RCT3 on Jet9 RDO & Fox 34 & White brothers loop,on my friends Rip9's.

I do have High hopes that the X Fusion fork will be a great fork for the money & I'm very keen to see how it goes next to the other forks.
    Are you referring to the Trace or the Slide? I have a Trace which I think compares well to the contenders you mentioned. The Slide on the other hand is a 32mm chassis.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Are you referring to the Trace or the Slide? I have a Trace which I think compares well to the contenders you mentioned. The Slide on the other hand is a 32mm chassis.
    Both, I have a few think in the works at the moment.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got my fork back today and went for the first ride with it at 120mm....

OMG it's awesome!!!!! I lost 10mm of Axle 2 Crown by switching to the 100mm of this fork compared to the original 100mm fork which made the front too steep thus forcing me to run it at like 100psi which rode too harsh. Now I'm running it at 80psi and rides nice plus I got my A2C back and the front end and bike feel normal again. I"m really happy with this fork now!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am really interested in this fork but am bummed about the max rotor size of 7in. has anyone put an 8in rotor on this fork? I am 6'7" and need that extra inch of rotor size to slow my big ass down. any help would be appreciated. I would go with the trace but then my budget is out the window and I wont have enough money for the wheels and tires I will still need to get.

mtbr member
    anymore longterm/updated reviews on the slide?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    I bought a Trace after all was said and done (I found a kick ass deal on a wheel set on ebay) It has honestly been a perfect fork for what I do. It is minimal amounts of fussing with, set rebound, fill with air, put on dirt and ride. I have experience with all the big boys of the fork world and i just really am happy with the simplicity of the fork. My old lyric that I had I would constantly fiddle with the settings making for a very uneven ride across the board. This fork just seems to work, I like to have less left to me, I just want to ride. I also appreciate the all metal internals, I am a big boy and plastic fails. Long term, I have no idea what to expect, but so far so good. I have called CS too and they are really helpful, and it is a person, in California...

mtbr member
    Been riding mine for about 9 months now. Still behaving brilliantly. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

mtbr member
    any setup tips you can give?..comparing to a tower pro how do you think it performs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    been riding mine since late spring....still works. I've been running PSI at around 75 or so with rebound set to pretty fast.

mtbr member
    any setup tips you can give?..comparing to a tower pro how do you think it performs?
    No idea how a Tower Pro rides. I can only compare to a Reba and an F32. Slightly heavier than both, but noticeably stiffer too.

I am running them about 5PSI lower than X-Fusions recommended pressure for my weight.

Aside from that, they are pretty much set and forget. I check the fork pressure weekly.

mtbr member
    the slide feels stiffer than the fox? if it is i think that is a plus for a fork with that price tag. i feel that the fork weight isnt much of an issue for the price point.

time to save up then..
    Last edited by bosbik; 11-26-2013 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I called x-fusion yesterday and they said to not go off of rider weight to set air pressure but use sag. Depending on your style of riding and type of trails you ride you can set the sag with air pressure. Figuring out percentage of sag you want is a whole other issue. With that said I usually just go off of feel on the trail but sag percentage is a good starting point. Anyone have opinions on rebound setting for this fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, 2-4 weeks off the bike... My X-Fusion Trace RL2 Forks blew up, almost literally. I rode this morning and as the day went along the fork felt more and more like a pogo stick. So I came home threw them on the work bench and tore them down. Knowing that there is 20ml of 7.5wt oil in the lowers I readied the container to collect the contents only to find about 120+ ml dumping out on the floor. The RL2 damper decided it was not interested in holding the oil. Bummer as this fork is unreal, only about 3 months old. I am assuming the responsibility because I rode it with the lockout on while riding a jump line at the local trail. Thankfully it isn't injury based that I can no longer ride but a part. We shall see how good X-Fusion is at getting things back to the rider. I full assume that I will be unable to ride for the next 2-4 weeks... Bummer as the winter has shown some phenomenal riding conditions.

mtbr member
    I sent mine in for warranty repair on a Friday and received it back the following Friday. Mind you I only live 3 counties away from them but turn around was still quite quick.

mtbr member
    YYeeeeHHHaaaaa!!
    Just got my New Slide RL2 Black off EBay!!!
    Gooood By Suntour Pogo-Stick :-)

I drank alot of coffee this am...can't wait to hit the trail with it!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If anyone has any leads on a new Slide with 100mm travel, 15mm TA, tapered in black kindly let me know. TIA!

mtbr member
    Black seems less avail than white...I have been watching/searching the web for a few weeks and then BAMMM last night EBay 299 shipped, mine is RL2 Black 1-1/8 9mmQR 29

Anyway the good deals on this fork are out there but not an everyday find...for me anyway...just keep looking until one lands in your budjet range..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    If anyone has any leads on a new Slide with 100mm travel, 15mm TA, tapered in black kindly let me know. TIA!
    LBS ordered one for me about a month and a half ago. It was the RL2R. I paid about the same price the Universal Cycles sells them for.

Unrelated question: Can the remote lockout be swapped of for a standard lockout? It looks to me it's not much more involved than switching out the knobs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

X-Fusion Slide RL2

I would like to know as well. I have the same fork and remote lockout is already broken. I used it maybe a handful of times. I would like to convert to manual lockout if I can find parts to do it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
    I really like my Slide, but I feel there's a bit of flex. I'm a big guy at 230 lbs and it's the 9mm qr version. The new ones with 15mm TA should be really great. Mine soaks up everything really well. Big hits and trail chatter alike. I'm converting my hub to a 9mm TA in the hopes it stiffens it up a bit. I'll report back after my rides this week.
    I've been trying to decide between the Slide with quick release or the suntour epicon x1 with 15TA. But you say a conversion to 9mm TA? How do you do it? I have a XT front hub with quick release - can I convert to 9mm TA? how did it work for you?

mtbr member
    X-Fusion Slide RL2-img-20140201-00505.jpg

I just installed my Slide this morning...F'n~Awesome!!!
    SO much lighter than my XCT pogo!!
    Now just gotta get it dirty...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I have a question here I hope someone can answer -

I just purchased a Slide RL2 with my Vassago Verhauen directly from Vassago, and they said it was set at 100mm. 2 weeks in, and I am nowhere code to full travel. I have approx. 105mm of stanchion exposed, and without any air in the chamber I am getting ~82mm of travel (I could be off by 2mm). So I have 20+mm of exposed stanchion at full compression. The A-C measures out at ~506, which is what they claim is the A-C of the fork at 100mm. BUT, still not getting anywhere close to full travel. I have read here that there should be some exposed more than the travel, but no one has said 20mm (that seems like a lot?)

Has anyone had the same experience and what was the resolution? I was going to adjust the travel to 120mm anyways, but now I am second guessing that if its going to add another 40mm to where it is now. Plus I don't have an arbor press or their damper tool (per the videos on their site) and it doesn't appear as those are for sale anywhere I can find. And I don't fancy being down 2 weeks on a brand new piece of equipment to send it back to them.

And before someone asks if I contacted x-fusion, yes I did. If I posted their response here you'd probably be as less-than-thrilled as I was with their snarky/flippant response. I told myself never again would I own one of their products after the hilo debacle, and I caved in and got this fork because of the reviews. 1 exchange with them over a service/tech question and I sincerely regret it.

Thanks for any help or guidance -
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I have a question here I hope someone can answer -

I just purchased a Slide RL2 with my Vassago Verhauen directly from Vassago, and they said it was set at 100mm. 2 weeks in, and I am nowhere code to full travel. I have approx. 105mm of stanchion exposed, and without any air in the chamber I am getting ~82mm of travel (I could be off by 2mm). So I have 20+mm of exposed stanchion at full compression. The A-C measures out at ~506, which is what they claim is the A-C of the fork at 100mm. BUT, still not getting anywhere close to full travel. I have read here that there should be some exposed more than the travel, but no one has said 20mm (that seems like a lot?)

Has anyone had the same experience and what was the resolution? I was going to adjust the travel to 120mm anyways, but now I am second guessing that if its going to add another 40mm to where it is now. Plus I don't have an arbor press or their damper tool (per the videos on their site) and it doesn't appear as those are for sale anywhere I can find. And I don't fancy being down 2 weeks on a brand new piece of equipment to send it back to them.

And before someone asks if I contacted x-fusion, yes I did. If I posted their response here you'd probably be as less-than-thrilled as I was with their snarky/flippant response. I told myself never again would I own one of their products after the hilo debacle, and I caved in and got this fork because of the reviews. 1 exchange with them over a service/tech question and I sincerely regret it.

Thanks for any help or guidance -
    I believe I measured about 135mm of exposed stanchion to the top of the lowers (not the seal) when mine was at 100mm. Axle to Crown at 100mm is approximately 506mm.

I had my LBS change the travel on mine, it didn't cost much at all and they had it done in a day I think. They were a little confused and hesitant and they thought it was already at 120mm at first but I pointed them to the service video and they figured it out.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Thanks, it was confirmed by Vassago that I have a an 80mm travel fork based on the amount of exposed stanchion, they gave me the wrong one. In true Vassago fashion they are taking care of it no problemo!

mtbr member
    Hi a couple of possibly dumb newbie questions if anyone can help:

On the specs I see it listed as travel 80mm,100mm,120mm - does this mean 3 different models and you should buy the one with the travel you want, or the same exact model and you just adjust to how you want?

When you adjust the internal travel, does the overall height of the fork change (and thus change head tube angle) or are you just changing the internal travel and the height stays the same?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    its all internal and the A2C changes slightly with each decrease in travel

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    my "travel" is at 100mm and it looks like a 120mm fork visually

mtbr member
    So if I want the fork length to be like a 100mm, then I need to buy the 100mm version - if I bought the 120mm version and reduced travel to 100mm the length would be longer - is that correct?

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    So if I want the fork length to be like a 100mm, then I need to buy the 100mm version - if I bought the 120mm version and reduced travel to 100mm the length would be longer - is that correct?
    No. Any Slide fork can be configured 80mm, 100mm or 120mm. There aren't 3 different forks, just the same fork set up differently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you want 100mm u should buy the 100mm otherwise you'll just have to take it apart and adjust it (and why do that?). A2C will change by how much you change the travel.

Also, I would compare the A2C of your current fork to the Slide RL2 w/ the travel you want to buy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the very clear explanation. On another note, in reality rather than an ideal world, how often do you have to do a service on these things? I watched the and it seemed rather daunting, talking about damper removal tools and seal press tools. Do all these tools come with it? Do people really do all this after every 25hrs riding?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topics64 View Post
    my "travel" is at 100mm and it looks like a 120mm fork visually
    ^this.

I swapped the 80mm fork for the 100mm fork with Vassago, and for the 80mm version I had it had 100mm on stanchion exposed, for the 100 it has the 120mm exposed. Visually, I thought my 80 was 100 - but the lack of ability to get 100mm of travel led us to figure out it was the 80mm version. Simple mistake, fork works great either way, just know that the stanchion shows ~20mm more than the travel you will get. Not an issue in my book, but nice to know since i have never had a fork that it doesn't almost hit the crown at full travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the very clear explanation. On another note, in reality rather than an ideal world, how often do you have to do a service on these things? I watched the and it seemed rather daunting, talking about damper removal tools and seal press tools. Do all these tools come with it? Do people really do all this after every 25hrs riding?

No tools come with the fork. Your service interval will depend on your riding conditions. Lots of wet mud and you'll need it sooner. I'd imagine desert moondust would be even worse.

I'd say I average 8 hrs/week split between two bikes. After about 3 months my forks usually start to feel a little "sticky". At that point there's usually a decent amount of fine dirt built up within the wiper seals and foam ring but the oil looks like new. I'll clean the wipers, remove/clean/replace the foam rings, replace the oil and reassemble. I'll replace the wiper seals once per year.

For me and how/where/when I ride I'd say the service interval is conservative but the right order of magnitude. Dirt in the wipers and on the foam ring are starting to wear the anodize off the stanchions. If that dirt makes its way into the bushing it'll embed itself in the plastic and then act like sandpaper on the stanchion finish. Others seem to get away with timing their service with Presidential election cycles. Others seem to wear the anodize off and trash forks in 3 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    No tools come with the fork. Your service interval will depend on your riding conditions. Lots of wet mud and you'll need it sooner. I'd imagine desert moondust would be even worse.

I'd say I average 8 hrs/week split between two bikes. After about 3 months my forks usually start to feel a little "sticky". At that point there's usually a decent amount of fine dirt built up within the wiper seals and foam ring but the oil looks like new. I'll clean the wipers, remove/clean/replace the foam rings, replace the oil and reassemble. I'll replace the wiper seals once per year.

For me and how/where/when I ride I'd say the service interval is conservative but the right order of magnitude. Dirt in the wipers and on the foam ring are starting to wear the anodize off the stanchions. If that dirt makes its way into the bushing it'll embed itself in the plastic and then act like sandpaper on the stanchion finish. Others seem to get away with timing their service with Presidential election cycles. Others seem to wear the anodize off and trash forks in 3 months.
    Which specialty tools do you need to perform the above service, Spanner wrench, RLS Damper Removal Tool, Lower leg holding tool, seal press tool?

mtbr member
    Which would you pick at the same price:

2009 Fox Fit RLC 29er in like new condition or X-Fusion Slide RL2 29er.

mtbr member
    Slide. The Fox is 5 years old. No question.

mtbr member
    I was never able to get my Slide to get full travel even after I sent it to X-Fusion to have a look at it. Also, I had to have the air level really low to get it even close so it bobbed a lot while I was standing and climbing. I ended up retiring it and was lucky enough to score a virtually mint Reba for $100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SO....

My Slide is set to 120mm.

I recently marked on the stanchions a dot at 100mm and 120mm from the top of the seal (since this would be the reference point for my ziptie).

I can't even get my ziptie to the 100mm mark. Running at about 70ish PSI, while coasting I can push down on the bars and get the fork to thud against the bottom out bumper.

I guess it has one hell of a progressive ramp up and bottom out bumper system!

I need to make sure the ziptie isn't falling back down a little on the return but even during riding it never seems to get to the 100mm mark.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Well after taking my Slide apart I figured out why it was always sticky at the top of travel:

There are two stripes as I had travel changed from 100mm to 120mm.

The damper leg was seems like it was contaminated by something from the very beginning.

I wouldn't think water contamination would cause this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    How hard is it to adjust the travel on these forks? I have a 100 that I want to bump up to 120. I have adjusted the travel on a Reba in the past. The only part I can't seem to find is XF part # ASJK-ZD01-001 Any clue where I can get one?

mtbr member
    Here
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    where can you get that Damper Removal Tool? or is there a tool you can use to substitute that tool?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    ^this.

I swapped the 80mm fork for the 100mm fork with Vassago, and for the 80mm version I had it had 100mm on stanchion exposed, for the 100 it has the 120mm exposed. Visually, I thought my 80 was 100 - but the lack of ability to get 100mm of travel led us to figure out it was the 80mm version. Simple mistake, fork works great either way, just know that the stanchion shows ~20mm more than the travel you will get. Not an issue in my book, but nice to know since i have never had a fork that it doesn't almost hit the crown at full travel.
    Well, the fork has gone back 2x because of an oil leak but they fixed it up and sent it back (was just an o-ring at the bottom of the fork they missed the 1st time), and they even upgraded my damper to the cartridge in the more expensive forks. Unfortunately I still cannot get full travel (100mm) out of this fork without lowering the pressure to a level where I get extra bobbing. This thing is as frustrating as a FOX as far as "less than advertised travel" is concerned. Considering the swap to rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYLsuMmiT_Hi View Post
    where can you get that Damper Removal Tool? or is there a tool you can use to substitute that tool?
    In the PDF version of this they say just knock it out with a mallet. I found this on another forum.
    so I can see why the tool is useful; when replacing the lowers not a lot of thread pops through (the tool grabs a lot more of it) and there is a risk of stripping the thread on the damping rod.
    Another guy said he backed off the nut a bit then used the socket with a mallet to unseat it.

Edit: I also found a place the sells their own version.
    https://www.diymtb.com.au/displayItems.asp?cid=22

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wouldn't knock the damper side directly with a mallet, I would use the right size socket over it then hit that. For the air side I used an allen wrench stuck in the end of it.

Now getting the damper rode seated back in the lowers.. the key is to use the lockout. You can tap the lowers onto the damper rod with it mostly-fully extended and locked out using a large socket or some kind. If you can use something plastic then that would be better as you won't damage the paint.

DO NOT use the damper nut to try and pull it through! The damper nut metal is way too soft!

However, if you messed with the damper oil at all you must make damn sure you have the exact amount required for that model fork (dif wheelsizes = dif amounts) or your lockout won't work and you'll have a hell of a shitty time with it@!
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The bottom out bumper on the air side almost looked like it was 1cm thick. Add the extreme ramp up of air pressure and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I only get 100mm out of my 120mm Slide it seems.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I

Now getting the damper rode seated back in the lowers.. the key is to use the lockout. You can tap the lowers onto the damper rod with it mostly-fully extended and locked out using a large socket or some kind. If you can use something plastic then that would be better as you won't damage the paint.
    what do you mean by "use the lockout"?
    All it needs is to pull that nut out when you seat the damper rod. thats what that tool does. correct?

Xfusion shows a video how to service a fork with tools we can't get..go figure.

thanks guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYLsuMmiT_Hi View Post
    what do you mean by "use the lockout"?
    All it needs is to pull that nut out when you seat the damper rod. thats what that tool does. correct?

Xfusion shows a video how to service a fork with tools we can't get..go figure.

thanks guys
    Except you don't have the damper tool, and you don't want to use the damper foot nut as you'll likely just strip the threads due to its soft metal.

So what you you do instead is lock the fork out which will hold the damper rod out, then you can tap the lowers onto it to get it fully seated, then install the damper foot nut. If you don't lock the fork out then the damper rod will just compress into the stanchion and you'll never get the rod fully seated unless you pulled it through with the special tool.

It would be nice if we could identify the thread type.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    THANKS zephziiii!!!!

i've been contemplating on servicing my fork and getting the damper seated was the only thing holding me back. THANK YOU!.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Except you don't have the damper tool, and you don't want to use the damper foot nut as you'll likely just strip the threads due to its soft metal.

So what you you do instead is lock the fork out which will hold the damper rod out, then you can tap the lowers onto it to get it fully seated, then install the damper foot nut. If you don't lock the fork out then the damper rod will just compress into the stanchion and you'll never get the rod fully seated unless you pulled it through with the special tool.

It would be nice if we could identify the thread type.
    The one hangup here is that Xfusion recommends seating the rods with the fork fully compressed, which really does change the feel of the fork (and will reduce the end of stroke ramp up). I usually lock the damper out in the almost fully compressed position when I take it apart. This usually lets you press the lowers on by hand when reassembling in the compressed position and partially seat the damper rod. I'll then put the bike back together and turn it right side up, extend the fork by hand, lock it, and give the bars a good push. This seats the rod enough to get the nut back on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wasn't sure if the lockout worked at the compressed end (couldn't remember), but yeah.

I'm not sure if it made any difference in my case though, but I don't think it was fully extended, maybe 75-80%. My fork is pretty easy to bottom out currently and I started running slightly higher psi since the 2.5w damper oil makes it move easier (and likely lowers service as well). I also put a slightly higher volume of oil bath in it too
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got a new Slide coming in the mail. I've only ridden Fox and Rockshox. Looking forward to trying something new.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the tips. I was able to pull mine apart, extend the travel, and get it back together without too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Glad it's working for you, book marking this as I will be getting mine in on thursday

The Original Suspect
    Had my Slide for about a year now and have had zero issues. Very happy with this fork purchase!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well since it looks to be about a half inch too high, would you consider adding spacers? Or just cut it? I work at a machine shop so I'd be able to cut it myself, hopefully the op has the same question cause id hate to thread jack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomekkplk View Post
    Well since it looks to be about a half inch too high, would you consider adding spacers? Or just cut it? I work at a machine shop so I'd be able to cut it myself, hopefully the op has the same question cause id hate to thread jack
    Are you asking about the steer tube? Cut it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine came in the mail today. Best fork over ridden. Period. I was being shocked and excited. Roots and rocks just disappeared. Slamming into objects sent zero shock to the hands. Love this fork!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    it would be nice if we could identify the thread type.
    <br>
    I emailed x-fusion asking about the damper tool.. Here's what he said.

"We actually do not sell that tool. We only made a few for our certified XF Service Centers. They are very expensive to manufacture but we are making some consumer friendly versions which should become available in about a month."

"SRAM chainring back plate bolt not X11 Has the same thread pitch as the damper."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtep View Post
    <br>

"We actually do not sell that tool. We only made a few for our certified XF Service Centers. They are very expensive to manufacture but we are making some consumer friendly versions which should become available in about a month."

"SRAM chainring back plate bolt not X11 Has the same thread pitch as the damper."
    Thanks for this...watching and waiting to add to my tool box:
    X-Fusion Slide RL2-img-20140926-01021.jpg

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mbtr member
    Picked up one of these used. I didn't notice it when i got it, but it only gets half travel before it apparently hydrolocks. I'd think that the damper oil had drained into the lowers, but the compression appears to work fine. Does anyone know what's up?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Smile Consumer friendly tool available now

Quote Originally Posted by Qtep View Post

I called a couple weeks ago to ask about a workaround because I figured the damper removal tool in the video would be unavailable/ prohibitively expensive. To my surprise, they offered me a consumer grade one for something like $6 and postage. The couple times I've called x-fusion I've been super impressed by how friendly and helpful they have been.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    I called a couple weeks ago to ask about a workaround because I figured the damper removal tool in the video would be unavailable/ prohibitively expensive. To my surprise, they offered me a consumer grade one for something like $6 and postage. The couple times I've called x-fusion I've been super impressed by how friendly and helpful they have been.
    I just received mine. I am still waiting for my fork (UPS was suppose to deliver today but didn't).
    Anyway here are some pics of what it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Fusion Slide RL2-20150410_212301.jpg  

X-Fusion Slide RL2-20150410_212320.jpg  

X-Fusion Slide RL2-20150410_212336.jpg  

X-Fusion Slide RL2-20150410_212420.jpg  

Last edited by huckleberry hound; 04-11-2015 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    How have this Fork holding up so far? For under $300 worth it?
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    X-Fusion Slide RL2-img_0390.jpg

100% Awesome! Mine is a 2013 and I have had ZERO issues..just works! I can't even remember the last time I had to add or adjust the air pressure. I check my sag before every ride and it never changes... aprox 800+ off road miles on mine now
    I keep the seals clean and smooth!!
    RIDE!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12