Which Wheels & Tires to buy for a road set up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which Wheels & Tires to buy for a road set up?

Hello gents!

I recently purchased this 21" Motobecane.Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

I would like to set up a second set of wheels & tires for commuting, as its all road.

Could you guys please recommend some choices for this?

I don't know how much skinnier a wheel you can go here, but I would I would like to shave off quite a bit of rolling resistance. I don't want to go completely road bike skinny, but certainly smaller then the current WTB FX rims. I am not opposed to buying all the parts separate and stringing the rim myself. I haven't done this yet & I would like to learn.

Thanks for your help here

Here's the specs on the the bike:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Wheels & Tires to buy for a road set up?-fantom-29-x9.jpg  

mtbr member
    I ran 700x32 on my 29er and they were pretty fast, but I felt every bump. If you want more comfort, go with a wider tire.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Never trust a fart
    Use your existing wheels and put a 700x35 or wider tire on it. It will work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Use your existing wheels and put a 700x35 or wider tire on it. It will work fine.
    I would really like to just set up an extra set of wheels so I don't have to change tires.

What tire Brand/models do you guys like for the road?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Bang for the buck:

I ran these because they were dirt cheap. 2000 miles and still plenty of tread. Only one flat in the 2000 miles:

Forté Gotham Road and MTB Tires - Road Bike Tires

If I had to do it over again, I would try these becuase they are almost half the weight:

Forté Metro-K Road and MTB Tires - Road Bike Tires

Just be careful cornering on street tires. I hit some sand one time and it was like being on ice. I was down before I knew what happened. Nice big strawberry on my elbow for about 2 weeks. Best of luck.
    Last edited by crclawn; 05-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Life Is Short
    Continental Tour Ride 700x28 Black Steel @ eBikeStop.com

Have these and ride them also on dirt. Xlnt. Rolling is so fast I dont want to put mtn bike tires on the rims again.

mtbr member
    I'm sorta kinda in the same boat right now I don't have the coin for new wheels though. Any touring tire should do. I'll end if getting some tires either from continental or schwalbe next week. Leaning towards the marathon supremes.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    I run Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 28x50's (622 bead) and am very happy with them. They roll nice and fast (rolling resistance has more to do with pressure than width) and the large profile soaks bumps and handles better than a narrower tire. The supreme's offer (IMO) the best mix of feel and puncture protection. I commute on mine, and am very pleased with them compared to other tires I've used (variety of continental commuting/touring tires, panaracer pasela TG, Kenda kwest).
    They're not cheap, but are durable and ride really nice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions gents

I'm thinking just swapping out the tires for the initial test runs (like suggested above) will be the short term solution. I do eventually want a fully setup 2nd set of wheels with most likely taller gears.

Sorry for the noob question here, but do I have to buy smaller tubes for the much smaller air volume required for road tires?

Thanks!
    J

Never trust a fart
    Yes, you will need smaller tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Yes, you will need smaller tubes.
    Thanks!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I know you mentioned a "narrower" road type tire. You may want to consider the Schwalbe Big Apple. Awesome tire and very fun. It is a balloon type tire (very wide with tons of volume).

I know this is not what you initially were thinking, but I thought I would throw it out there.

The tire is seriously fun. It does OK in the dirt too if you aren't trying to get too crazy in the corners sorta thing..

mtbr member
    Very disapointed in Niagra Cycles. Ordered set of "in stock" Marathon supreme tires and paid for 1-3 day shipping. Bought on July 3rd and it's July 11 and the tires have not even shipped. Thing is I wanted to us them for a charity ride on the 14th. I figured a week and half with 1-3 day shipping should be fine. Didn't realize that Niagra was actually some gaint Amazon partner shipping stuff from all over. I thought I was buying from a local bike store (LBS) who had a web presnce.

If you need tires in a hurry I would not recommend Niagra Cycle Works

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I second the Schwalbe Big Apples. seriously. Super fast rolling and cushy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Bang for the buck:

I ran these because they were dirt cheap. 2000 miles and still plenty of tread. Only one flat in the 2000 miles:

Forté Gotham Road and MTB Tires - Road Bike Tires

If I had to do it over again, I would try these becuase they are almost half the weight:

Forté Metro-K Road and MTB Tires - Road Bike Tires

Just be careful cornering on street tires. I hit some sand one time and it was like being on ice. I was down before I knew what happened. Nice big strawberry on my elbow for about 2 weeks. Best of luck.
    My luck with the gothams wasn't as good as yours, the sidewalls were splitting within three weeks of installation, and now, with fewer than 200 miles on them, I'm actually afraid to run them. Maybe I got a bad pair, but I'd be nervous about buying them again. Aside from the deterioration issues, I think they roll great and they feel reasonably comfortable at pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonc13 View Post
    I would really like to just set up an extra set of wheels so I don't have to change tires.

What tire Brand/models do you guys like for the road?

Thanks!
    this is more than just an extra set of wheels, you will need to buy brake rotors for each wheel and a cassette for the rear wheel. Unless you intend to swap these parts over every time you switch, which would be a pain. When you add up the cost of the road wheels, rotors, and a cassette, you should consider whether holding off and saving up for a road/commuter bike is a better idea. It really depends on your budget and how often you are switching back and forth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    this is more than just an extra set of wheels, you will need to buy brake rotors for each wheel and a cassette for the rear wheel. Unless you intend to swap these parts over every time you switch, which would be a pain. When you add up the cost of the road wheels, rotors, and a cassette, you should consider whether holding off and saving up for a road/commuter bike is a better idea. It really depends on your budget and how often you are switching back and forth.
    :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I have a Redline D660 29er and my second wheelset is running a set of Specialized Infinity Armidillo tires. I use it to commute and ride with my Roadie friends. They are 700X38c. I just lock out the front fork and I'm not much slower than on my road bike. Plus I've been commuting on them for almost 2 years now and haven't gotten a flat nor have I worn out the tread. Best $90 I've spent yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0