wheel set recommendations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 66 of 66
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6

    wheel set recommendations

    Hi All,

    I have a Diamondback Overdrive 29" and want to get a new set of wheels and tires. I'm going to use the existing rims for road/trainer use. So I'm going to need a new set of wheels, tires, brakes, etc. I'm trying to keep it around $500 or less, new or used. I want to go tubeless on this set. Definitely looking for 23mm or wider inner width probably closer to 30mm. There are so many choices my head is spinning. At that price point, I'll be limited to alloy which is fine. It would be great to have some suggestions within the past 3 years (more challenging finding suggestion on older rims). Thanks in advance for your help.

    Mark

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    check: https://www.speedgearbike.com

    The owner is Wayne, great guy, he build your wheelset by spec, i ordered a sentry(32mm ID) stans no tubes MK3 with DTSwiss 350 hugs with custom blue decal, blue nipples. It cost the same or lower that most of the same "setup" on online stores.

  3. #3
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    check: https://www.speedgearbike.com

    The owner is Wayne, great guy, he build your wheelset by spec, i ordered a sentry(32mm ID) stans no tubes MK3 with DTSwiss 350 hugs with custom blue decal, blue nipples. It cost the same or lower that most of the same "setup" on online stores.
    Wayne is the awesomest wheel builder. He will contact you very quickly and does an amazing job with his builds. He has quite a bit of everything too. If you want something specific, you can contact him and he will most likely get it for you.

    Also, you can try out Fanatik Bike's wheel builder website too. They are offering discounts on certain components of their wheel builds. I decided to give them a shot and built up a set of WTB Asym 29 / Hope Pro 4 wheels and I had them built and shipped to my door within 3 days of ordering. Then again, I live 2 hours south of them.

    I ended up saving around $100 (or a little more) off my build based on what I selected. They will list the savings at the end of the build.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  4. #4
    Turns right to go left
    Reputation: 410sprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    606
    Check out Dave Thomas at:

    Master Bicycle Wheel Builder | Dave's Wheels.

    Great prices and service, free shipping and Dave builds incredible wheels.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Check out Dave Thomas at:

    Master Bicycle Wheel Builder | Dave's Wheels.

    Great prices and service, free shipping and Dave builds incredible wheels.
    I'll be sort of curious what you can get from a custom builder for $500. Hubs/wheels are surprisingly expensive, even when you build them yourself.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for your help. I reached out to Wayne, and he's building a set for me.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    Here a pic of mine. DT350 boost with microspline for the xtr 1x12, sentry 32mm stans notubes with black decals and custon blue nipples
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Wayne is the awesomest wheel builder. He will contact you very quickly and does an amazing job with his builds. He has quite a bit of everything too. If you want something specific, you can contact him and he will most likely get it for you.

    Also, you can try out Fanatik Bike's wheel builder website too. They are offering discounts on certain components of their wheel builds. I decided to give them a shot and built up a set of WTB Asym 29 / Hope Pro 4 wheels and I had them built and shipped to my door within 3 days of ordering. Then again, I live 2 hours south of them.

    I ended up saving around $100 (or a little more) off my build based on what I selected. They will list the savings at the end of the build.
    He has built two pairs of wheels for me. Solid guy, and really good wheels builder.

  9. #9
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    He has built two pairs of wheels for me. Solid guy, and really good wheels builder.
    He’s building a set for my Transition Scout now!


    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    257
    I have a couple sets of New Industry Nine Trail S wheelsets for sale at $550 shipped. Both are brand new. One is boost and the other is non boost. They are one previous generation and the rims is slightly narrower than the current one offered.

  11. #11
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,937
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I'll be sort of curious what you can get from a custom builder for $500. Hubs/wheels are surprisingly expensive, even when you build them yourself.
    Unless you buy something used, $500 will get you a solid workhorse wheelset that's handbuilt.

    Maybe 10yrs or so ago, I had a wheelset built with Shimano Deore-level hubs, Velocity Dyad rims, and regular straight gauge spokes for about $450. They were for my commuter/touring/gravel bike and are burly enough to ride trails with.

    I'm building a wheelset for a new 29er mtb and going a bit nicer. I'll be close to $1k when it's all done. I9 hubs, DT Swiss alu XM481 rims, double-butted spokes. I'm building them myself, but taking a wheelbuilding class so I have some professional direction during the process. A little bit of flash (they will be all black, so more understated), but still in the "solid wheel" category.

    I'd snap up one of Velorangutan's used I9 wheelsets if I was the OP, though.

  12. #12
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    If you go through Wayne, you can get 29er Stan's Flow and Bitex hubs for $418. I had this setup on my hardtail and it worked flawlessly. Wayne also has a warranty window for his wheelsets too. The Bitex hubs sound like pissed off bees and have 6 pawl 54 point engagement.

    https://www.speedgearbike.com/439078...?catid=1193842
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  13. #13
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,771
    Another vote for Wayne. The guy builds some great wheels, at a reasonable price*

    *zero affiliation.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,746
    Another vote for the Sentry 32mm inner wheelset. For the terrain in your area of Austin it'll be versatile.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    I decided to go with Wayne. Thanks for the recommendations.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    If you go through Wayne, you can get 29er Stan's Flow and Bitex hubs for $418. I had this setup on my hardtail and it worked flawlessly. Wayne also has a warranty window for his wheelsets too. The Bitex hubs sound like pissed off bees and have 6 pawl 54 point engagement.

    https://www.speedgearbike.com/439078...?catid=1193842
    Does he do plus wheel sets? I need something for my Stache. Keeping thinking Line Pro 40's but $1200 and a touch nervous about carbon. Thoughts please..Ty.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Does he do plus wheel sets? I need something for my Stache. Keeping thinking Line Pro 40's but $1200 and a touch nervous about carbon. Thoughts please..Ty.
    call him, he always answer the phone.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    call him, he always answer the phone.
    Will do, thank you!

  19. #19
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,573
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Does he do plus wheel sets? I need something for my Stache. Keeping thinking Line Pro 40's but $1200 and a touch nervous about carbon. Thoughts please..Ty.
    Oh yeah he will do plus, give him a call for sure. There are some very good aluminum options with minimal weight gain. I believe his website is pretty up to date if you need some ideas.

  20. #20
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,573
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    call him, he always answer the phone.
    Unless he's out riding

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Oh yeah he will do plus, give him a call for sure. There are some very good aluminum options with minimal weight gain. I believe his website is pretty up to date if you need some ideas.
    Thanks gentleman I really appreciate it..So I'd like to hear opinions on wheels for real aggressive New England ( Massachusetts) style terrain..210lbs and pretty hard on equipment. I love the Line Pros but nervous about carbon as i mentioned in this thread..Thanks again.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    210 lbs you should use 28/32mm ID rim
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  23. #23
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,573
    Wayne will give you some great recommendations, he really works with people to help figure out what is the best for their riding needs. That being said if it was me I would look real hard at the Spank rims for your weight and terrain. The Spank 350 Vibracores really peak my interest but prolly not wide enough for a plus set (but they have others that are). Wayne sells Spank as was well as many others and like I said he will have some good recommendations.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Good stuff thanks..

  25. #25
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Unless he's out riding
    I contacted him yesterday asking about the weather conditions. He said it was -28 in his area.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  26. #26
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Good stuff thanks..
    Wayne also sells other stuff too! If you are looking for specific parts, let him know. He does carry Hope brake components. I was very close to buying a full Hope Tech 3 E4 in orange from him to bling out my Scout. I still might do it but later on lol
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Wayne also sells other stuff too! If you are looking for specific parts, let him know. He does carry Hope brake components. I was very close to buying a full Hope Tech 3 E4 in orange from him to bling out my Scout. I still might do it but later on lol
    Thanks..How do you like the stuff from Transition?

  28. #28
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Thanks gentleman I really appreciate it..So I'd like to hear opinions on wheels for real aggressive New England ( Massachusetts) style terrain..210lbs and pretty hard on equipment. I love the Line Pros but nervous about carbon as i mentioned in this thread..Thanks again.
    Definitely, word on the street about CF is that he is super "hard on the equipment". That's what she said...

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    Definitely, word on the street about CF is that he is super "hard on the equipment". That's what she said...
    Lol, what's up old friend? I was trying to be modest/ not ruffle any feathers by just saying " hard on equipment" You know how I get it in.

  30. #30
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I contacted him yesterday asking about the weather conditions. He said it was -28 in his area.
    Yeah, I was pimping him to get out riding but he wused out (so did I). Full disclosure we live in the same town and we are pretty good buds. I shared this thread with him and he is pretty stoked people are bringing up his name, good dood that love bikes!!

  31. #31
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah, I was pimping him to get out riding but he wused out (so did I). Full disclosure we live in the same town and we are pretty good buds. I shared this thread with him and he is pretty stoked people are bringing up his name, good dood that love bikes!!
    haha that's great stuff! I love Wayne. He is an awesome guy! I was going to email him a link to this thread too. I think it's safe to say that Wayne has his own cult following on the forum. I dub ourselves "The Wayne-iacs."
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  32. #32
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Lol, what's up old friend? I was trying to be modest/ not ruffle any feathers by just saying " hard on equipment" You know how I get it in.
    dont be modest man. remember, you sent me a video of you and that sh!t was harder core than the Pamela Anderson video.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah, I was pimping him to get out riding but he wused out (so did I). Full disclosure we live in the same town and we are pretty good buds. I shared this thread with him and he is pretty stoked people are bringing up his name, good dood that love bikes!!
    Over fifteen years on MTBR ( on the forums, 20 on MTBR) this maybe one of the best posts ever. Love to hear Wayne is happy!! I'll definitely be calling him soon. Good stuff boys.

  34. #34
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,573
    As of about an hour ago our cold snap broke and Wayno said he has a fist full of dollars and is going on a townie/pub ride, I wouldn't call too soon

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Thanks gentleman I really appreciate it..So I'd like to hear opinions on wheels for real aggressive New England ( Massachusetts) style terrain..210lbs and pretty hard on equipment. I love the Line Pros but nervous about carbon as i mentioned in this thread..Thanks again.
    I am roughly your size and weight. I also live outside of Boston. Been riding carbon wheels locally for 3 + years with no issues. I have used 29+, 29, 27.5+ and 27.5 fat. No broken or cracked rims. Plenty of surface scratches though.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I am roughly your size and weight. I also live outside of Boston. Been riding carbon wheels locally for 3 + years with no issues. I have used 29+, 29, 27.5+ and 27.5 fat. No broken or cracked rims. Plenty of surface scratches though.
    Great info thanks..Where and what do you ride? I'm Lynn Woods ( since 1990) and School St for most rides. B&T's Fort Rock Beverly also in the mix..Thanks again.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Great info thanks..Where and what do you ride? I'm Lynn Woods ( since 1990) and School St for most rides. B&T's Fort Rock Beverly also in the mix..Thanks again.
    Bikes: Santa Cruz Hightower 135/150 in 29er, also rode it 27.5+. Salsa Mukluk rigid with 27.5 x 70mm rims.
    I ride Lynn from time to time, but mostly Harold Parker. Occasionally mix in Willodale, Georgetown, Russel Mill and a few others.
    I don't shy away from rocks and the occasional drop/jump.

  38. #38
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    My wheels from Wayne shipped! Wow, I love this guy. I need to buy him a case of beer.




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    My wheels from Wayne shipped! Wow, I love this guy. I need to buy him a case of beer.




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Ya I spoke with him yesterday and he was really great I had to cut the conversation short but will be calling him back tomorrow. Glad to hear about your wheels Battery. Thanks again for the hook up. ( and others)

  40. #40
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Ya I spoke with him yesterday and he was really great I had to cut the conversation short but will be calling him back tomorrow. Glad to hear about your wheels Battery. Thanks again for the hook up. ( and others)
    No problem! He can get you Hope brakes too!


    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    No problem! He can get you Hope brakes too!


    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Been so long since I've owned or even looked at Hope brakes ( used to run Hope mini pros on a few of my bikes) what in your opinion is a good brake for my Stache?

  42. #42
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Been so long since I've owned or even looked at Hope brakes ( used to run Hope mini pros on a few of my bikes) what in your opinion is a good brake for my Stache?
    There are a lot of good brakes out there. For your bike, a 2 piston would be just fine. You can get good deals on SLX and XT brakes if your bike doesnt have them already. I've had good luck with XT brakes on my last hardtail but they didnt do much for me on my Sentinel. I upgraded to SRAM Code R brakes for my Sentinel and Scout.

    If you want to bling out, the Hope brakes are hard to beat! They are also 4 piston so you have to decide if you really do need a 4 piston brake or you want it for the bling. My buddy built up a really nice Chromag hardtail and blinged it with purple Hope brakes.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    I will most likely go with XT when I'm ready. But I literally just got off the phone with Wayne ( great guy) and I will post up all information on the two options we talked about to get your ( and others) thoughts..

  44. #44
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    I will most likely go with XT when I'm ready. But I literally just got off the phone with Wayne ( great guy) and I will post up all information on the two options we talked about to get your ( and others) thoughts..
    I feel you Fred. i just got my new bike yesterday. Gotta be honest...pretty much every friggin component was one that I had no clue about. I feel like a beginner for sure all over.

    For what its worth, brakes that came on bike are SRAM Guide RS. Have no clue but funny part that I am sure, they are better than what I used to overpay for back in the day like the older higher end Hopes, Formulas, etc.

    Only part i recognized straight away form stock parts were Chromag stem and bars, about it, everything else is still foreign to me

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    I feel you Fred. i just got my new bike yesterday. Gotta be honest...pretty much every friggin component was one that I had no clue about. I feel like a beginner for sure all over.

    For what its worth, brakes that came on bike are SRAM Guide RS. Have no clue but funny part that I am sure, they are better than what I used to overpay for back in the day like the older higher end Hopes, Formulas, etc.

    Only part i recognized straight away form stock parts were Chromag stem and bars, about it, everything else is still foreign to me
    What did you get? Got your message and definitely planned/ plan on emailing you just so much going on past five days( all very positive will fill you in) so expect to hear from me very soon. So happy to hear you getting back on a bike..It's a gift for sure being able to ride.

  46. #46
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    What did you get? Got your message and definitely planned/ plan on emailing you just so much going on past five days( all very positive will fill you in) so expect to hear from me very soon. So happy to hear you getting back on a bike..It's a gift for sure being able to ride.
    no worries man reply when time!

    I got a Knolly Warden. Just got yesterday...still trying to figure out how to get the right sag and sh!t with the rear shock and fork.

    sort of regret not getting the 29er Knolly but the 27.5" is fine for me. the deals on the 2018 Warden was too good to pass up and saving money aint ever a bad thing. i know the 29er can be "Faster" overall but i am not about going full throttle down hill and probably actually better off with a little bit more snappy bike for tight and sketch anyway. still have my 29er single speed though once i get back into shape.

    the parts that came on it were pretty much part of a Knolly kit. better off that way since i dont know anyting about parts anymore, here is the spec it came with, which like i said other than a few pieces are all new to me...

    Fork Rockshox Lyric RC2 Charger2 160mm 15QR x 110 Boost
    Rear Shock Cane Creek DB Air CS

    Headset Cane Creek 40
    Stem Chromag Hi-Fi 35mm. 50mm black
    Bar Chromag OSX 35 blk/grey 800mm wide
    Grips Chromag - Basis - blk
    Front Brake Sram Guide RS
    Rear Brake Sram Guide RS
    Front Rotor Sram Centerline 200mm
    Rear Rotor Sram Centerline 180mm
    Rear Shifter Sram GX Eagle 12 spd
    Seat Post Race Face Turbine R
    Seat Post QR Knolly
    Saddle Chromag Lynx DT - blk
    Crankset Sram GX EAGLE DUB 175 BLK 30t
    Bottom Bracket Sram DUB MTB73
    Rear Derailleur Sram GX Eagle 12spd black
    Cassette Sram 1275 GX Eagle
    Chain Sram GX Eagle 12 spd
    Wheelset Industry Nine Enduro-S
    Front Tire Maxxis Minion Minion DHF 2.50WT MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR
    Rear Tire Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5x2.30 MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR

  47. #47
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    no worries man reply when time!

    I got a Knolly Warden. Just got yesterday...still trying to figure out how to get the right sag and sh!t with the rear shock and fork.
    This video will help you get sorted out. It's really handy!

    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    Finally back home and this amazing wheels are waiting, tomorrow will install them.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  49. #49
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Nice wheels!! My Wayne Wheels are delayed in Oregon somewhere due to the weather. They should arrive tomorrow (hopefully). Wayne is an awesome dude!
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    no worries man reply when time!

    I got a Knolly Warden. Just got yesterday...still trying to figure out how to get the right sag and sh!t with the rear shock and fork.

    sort of regret not getting the 29er Knolly but the 27.5" is fine for me. the deals on the 2018 Warden was too good to pass up and saving money aint ever a bad thing. i know the 29er can be "Faster" overall but i am not about going full throttle down hill and probably actually better off with a little bit more snappy bike for tight and sketch anyway. still have my 29er single speed though once i get back into shape.

    the parts that came on it were pretty much part of a Knolly kit. better off that way since i dont know anyting about parts anymore, here is the spec it came with, which like i said other than a few pieces are all new to me...

    Fork Rockshox Lyric RC2 Charger2 160mm 15QR x 110 Boost
    Rear Shock Cane Creek DB Air CS

    Headset Cane Creek 40
    Stem Chromag Hi-Fi 35mm. 50mm black
    Bar Chromag OSX 35 blk/grey 800mm wide
    Grips Chromag - Basis - blk
    Front Brake Sram Guide RS
    Rear Brake Sram Guide RS
    Front Rotor Sram Centerline 200mm
    Rear Rotor Sram Centerline 180mm
    Rear Shifter Sram GX Eagle 12 spd
    Seat Post Race Face Turbine R
    Seat Post QR Knolly
    Saddle Chromag Lynx DT - blk
    Crankset Sram GX EAGLE DUB 175 BLK 30t
    Bottom Bracket Sram DUB MTB73
    Rear Derailleur Sram GX Eagle 12spd black
    Cassette Sram 1275 GX Eagle
    Chain Sram GX Eagle 12 spd
    Wheelset Industry Nine Enduro-S
    Front Tire Maxxis Minion Minion DHF 2.50WT MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR
    Rear Tire Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5x2.30 MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR
    Pictures?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    Looks Amazing on the HT LT
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  52. #52
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Nice!! If lucky, my wheels are delivered today!
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  53. #53
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Pictures?
    hey Fred, its honestly pretty much stock (DP/I9 kit). This is only pic I took day I got it. Put Saint pedals on yesterday so at least its ready to ride.

    wheel set recommendations-warden.jpg

    wheel set recommendations-img_1142.jpg

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    hey Fred, its honestly pretty much stock (DP/I9 kit). This is only pic I took day I got it. Put Saint pedals on yesterday so at least its ready to ride.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warden.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	1237950

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	1237951
    Stock works brother!! This isn't the Turner forum.😉 Looks great welcome back
    .

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    after a hard crazy 2 days for enduro and downhill i love the setup on my bike, Wayne did an amazing job with this Sentry wheels!. Didnt know that DT350 hugs are so quiet lol....
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  56. #56
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    after a hard crazy 2 days for enduro and downhill i love the setup on my bike, Wayne did an amazing job with this Sentry wheels!. Didnt know that DT350 hugs are so quiet lol....
    Nice!! Great to hear you love the Sentry rims. I can't wait to install mine.

    FedEx hates me though. My wheels are in town and have been here since 5am but they were never sent out for delivery! I know we are having some weather problems but the roads are clear and all the other delivery services are delivering stuff!
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  57. #57
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Got mine installed with 2.6” Specialized Hilly Billy and Butcher tires!




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Anyone use the Light Bicycle rims available on that site? Seems crazy that you can get a carbon wheelset from him with laser spokes and Bitex hubs, that comes in at around 1600g for a 29er, for under $750. I have Bitex hubs on my current wheels (laced to Flow rims) and have had no issues with them, and would not be opposed to getting a set of carbon rims with them for that price, assuming they're decent quality of course.
    Patrick

  59. #59
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Anyone use the Light Bicycle rims available on that site? Seems crazy that you can get a carbon wheelset from him with laser spokes and Bitex hubs, that comes in at around 1600g for a 29er, for under $750. I have Bitex hubs on my current wheels (laced to Flow rims) and have had no issues with them, and would not be opposed to getting a set of carbon rims with them for that price, assuming they're decent quality of course.
    I've looked into those rims too. They seem legit. Wayne places his reputation on rims and hubs that he absolutely trusts. Plus he offers a warranty on all wheels too. Wayne's pricing always seems to be slightly lower than the competition.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

  60. #60
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,937
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Anyone use the Light Bicycle rims available on that site? Seems crazy that you can get a carbon wheelset from him with laser spokes and Bitex hubs, that comes in at around 1600g for a 29er, for under $750. I have Bitex hubs on my current wheels (laced to Flow rims) and have had no issues with them, and would not be opposed to getting a set of carbon rims with them for that price, assuming they're decent quality of course.
    My wife has a wheelset with LB rims and I9 Torch hubs that cost about $1k a few years ago. Which makes sense considering the cost premium of I9 hubs. The LB rims are certainly stiff and strong. Probably a bit more than she needs as a lightweight nonaggressive rider.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My wife has a wheelset with LB rims and I9 Torch hubs that cost about $1k a few years ago. Which makes sense considering the cost premium of I9 hubs. The LB rims are certainly stiff and strong. Probably a bit more than she needs as a lightweight nonaggressive rider.
    I've built up two pair of wheels using Nextie rims.
    One set on my XC bike, one on my CX bike. I'm no flyweight at 215 lb, but I have zero complaints with them so far.
    The Nextie rims I used on my Scarp are stiffer than my I9 Enduros. I9s are boost, Nexties are 142.

  62. #62
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,937
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I've built up two pair of wheels using Nextie rims.
    One set on my XC bike, one on my CX bike. I'm no flyweight at 215 lb, but I have zero complaints with them so far.
    The Nextie rims I used on my Scarp are stiffer than my I9 Enduros. I9s are boost, Nexties are 142.
    I've got some 65mm wide Nextie rims on Hope hubs on my fatbike that I've been rolling for a few thousand miles over the course of a few years now. They're solid, though mine were early ones that could have had better spoke hole drilling to make for a better build (something I hear Nextie addressed eventually). But I ride them in rocky terrain, and aside from the yellow paint chipping when rocks flip up and bang on the rims, they're holding up well. So, of course, they kinda look like shit now. If I did it again, I would not get painted ones.

    I'm purposely building my GG Pedalhead with alu rims, though. In some respects, I feel like my fatbike wheels are TOO stiff. Those wheels are going to be an I9 Hydra Classic/DT Swiss XM481/DT Comp 32h build. They'll be strong enough for how I ride, but they should also be less stiff than my fatbike wheels, which can honestly be a bit harsh at times.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: regiobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Got mine installed with 2.6” Specialized Hilly Billy and Butcher tires!




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Looks sick!!!
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    21
    Hi, I put a set of Mavic XA elite 29ers on my bike last year. running Maxxis minion tires 2.35. Super light and stiff.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    17
    The stock Roval wheels that come on the stumpy evo are pretty good but nothing compares to I9's.

  66. #66
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    438
    I had Wayne build me a set of wheels for my commuter; Stans Grails and Bitex hubs. Been riding them a for a week and took them on 12 miles of local single track after my ride home Tuesday. Been super happy with them.

    Will be ordering a set for my XC bike soon. Trying to decide between the Stans Arch or the Race Face Arc 25.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM
  2. Roval control SL wheel set vs crossmax SLR wheel set?
    By Yellowr6 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 06:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 03:52 PM
  5. buying a new wheel set and hand made wheel set ?
    By tcsien@yahoo.com in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Members who have read this thread: 400

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.