Velocity P35 and Nobby Nics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Velocity P35 and Nobby Nics

Just fitted the velocity rims with a hans dampf front and a nobby nic rear(both 2.35) to a Yelli Screamy. I'm running them at about 35psi and they're not losing any pressure overnight but judging by the man milk marks all over the sidewall they're burping a good 4 or 5 times each ride. I ride relatively hard and it's quite rooty in places where i ride so i suspect that's what is causing it but i just wondered whether anyone else had a similar issue with the nic and the velocity rims?

Ta

Expert Crasher
    Put some tubes in.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Just fitted the velocity rims with a hans dampf front and a nobby nic rear(both 2.35) to a Yelli Screamy. I'm running them at about 35psi and they're not losing any pressure overnight but judging by the man milk marks all over the sidewall they're burping a good 4 or 5 times each ride. I ride relatively hard and it's quite rooty in places where i ride so i suspect that's what is causing it but i just wondered whether anyone else had a similar issue with the nic and the velocity rims?

Ta
    Obviously a different rim, but I have no problems with the 2.35 Nics on Velocity Blunt rims tubeless (using Rhythm strip and Stans).

Are you using the P35 tubeless conversion kit from Velocity? (Not that it looks any different from Stans tape....) If you are burping, you should see a drop in your psi. Could it be the "man milk" marks are from sealant dripping out along the bead? Did you shake and bake and lay them flat on each side quite a few times before mounting them up on your bike? What sealant are you using?

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Why the high pressure?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mounted my P35's up several times and never a issue, also have over 1500 miles and still good to go.

mtbr member
    I'm running P35's with a WTB wolverine front and Nano rear...both folding beads. I've had zero problems so far running them from 25-28psi. I'm using the gorrilla tape method with custom schrader valves. I did the shake and bake method until i could see no bubbles and kept them stored at 40psi the first week when not riding. Now they lose Zero PSI when sitting.

I think the shake and bake method is definitely the key to a proper sealing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i throw a little glitter in my stans mix for tires that don't want to seat. also, i don't run 35psi. do you weigh 220 or more?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Re the pressure - no i'm about 200lbs these days but had read stories about these rims dinging easily so based it roughly on what i used to use with tubes and pulled it back a few psi as i ride through some rooty areas relatively aggressively. This is the first time i've used tubeless and my first 29er if that makes any difference to pressure. Will try dropping it down to late 20s and see if that makes a difference.

For the query re the tape....using the stans yellow rim tape on there.

I followed the stans video as i'm using their sealant. Will search shake and bake as i have no idea what that is!

Thanks for the opinions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    I followed the stans video as i'm using their sealant. Will search shake and bake as i have no idea what that is!
    Shake and Bake just means...hold wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock...let stans run to bottom...shake wheel back and forth while rotating wheel like a ticking clock...then set flat on one side and let sit for a few minutes...pick up and redo previous action and lay back down on opposite side.

Just keep doing the above and use soapy water to check for air leaks. When you get down to just a few tiny leaks, then you can just focus on those spots. Try to keep them pumped up everyday. Go for some rides as well...that will allow the sealant to hit key spots when the tire flexes slightly.

Hope that made sense, lol

I'm with stupid
    Different wheel but I had the same problem with my nic 2.25 and Ralph on Mavic wheels. I think the bead fit is pretty loose on the new tires after so many complained about them not being able to get them on the wheel. I ended up putting tubes back in the front of my nimble 9 because I was burping the tire at 37-40psi. Just didn't trust it to stay on.

I tapped that

This place needs an enema
    P35's are great rims, but they are *sketchy* tubeless. Despite Velocity's claims (and their "tubeless" kit) these rims really don't do well for aggressive riders when run tubeless. No matter the tire, pressure, tape/valve combo, sealant mix, etc..., they *will* burp.

The only flaw in the mix is that Velocity continues to claim that they can be run tubeless. Great rims otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, thanks guys. Trrubicon - they stay up fine so the seal is good when not being ridden, its just when i bash it over some roots it seems to burp. It sounds like Mikesee might have it but just checking i was doing anything stupid. Front seems to be fine tubeless so I'll just stick a tube in the back sometime, not the end of the world.

mtbr member
    You could always do a ghetto split tube in the back also. The extra rubber sealing up the sides might help...

Members who have read this thread: 0