mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Which upgrate to go from 2x10 to 1x11 on 2014 Specialized Crave

I have 2014 Specialized Crave with 2x10. All trails I ride I can to in the harder gear in the front so I want to get 1x11 (11-42 or 11-46). I also want XT/XTR level derailer.

Any advice on what to get? Can I keep the cassette ot do I need the whole drivetrain?

Never trust a fart
    If your going 1x11, you will need a shifter, cassette, chain, rear derailleur and cable/housing.

Save your money and just go full XT with the SLX cassette. It will be cheaper when you rip off the derailleur.

Barely in control
    I have both M7000 and M8000 groupsets and I'd do SLX cassette, chain (601), derailler, some brand of 1x chainring, and XT shifter. The SLX shifter is a cheap toy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepplock View Post
    I have 2014 Specialized Crave with 2x10. All trails I ride I can to in the harder gear in the front so I want to get 1x11 (11-42 or 11-46). I also want XT/XTR level derailer.

Any advice on what to get? Can I keep the cassette ot do I need the whole drivetrain?
    If you want to keep the cassette, you can go 1x10.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I converted from 3x9 to 1x11 on my 2012 Carve (same bike). I went with SLX cassette (11-42), SLX derailleur and SLX shifter. They're heavier than XT or XTR but a little more durable (and cheaper). I swapped out the front rings with a 24 tooth Race Face chain ring and a bashguard up front. Didn't have to change cranks.

If you're riding all your trails in your outer ring, why bother with all the new parts? You can keep the cassette and find a single front chainring that matches the bolt center diameter of your current outer ring and you're done. No need to buy a new cassette, derailleur and shifter.

What's you're motivation for converting anyway? My reasoning was to get the left shifter off the bike and out of the way of the dropper lever. I also wanted a little more climbing gears.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I also have same motivations. Getting rid of derailleur is first.

But I also like how much better XT/XTR changes gears. It is noticeable.

It seems that going 1x10 first by just getting a single chainring in the front is a good compromise.

jcd's best friend
    Chain Reaction Cycles has the full XT drivetrain on sale.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I would put a 34 ring in the front, obviously an 11 chain and shifter and a Sunrace 11-50 cassette.

OFS old, fat, slow
    Dec 2004
    What exactly do you gain in switching to 1x11? Certainly not functionality. You say your number 1 goal is to lose the derailleur. Why? A lot of riders have made this switch because they read on MTBR or elsewhere that "everyone" is going 1x.

There are some legitimate reasons to consider it, but what you've stated so far makes it sound like you're wanting it just so you can say your bike is 1x. That's not a good reason.

It's your bike and your money, so I'm not trying to tell you what to (not) do, but it seems you're trying to spend hard-earned money solving a problem that doesn't exist.

AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
    What exactly do you gain in switching to 1x11? Certainly not functionality. You say your number 1 goal is to lose the derailleur. Why? A lot of riders have made this switch because they read on MTBR or elsewhere that "everyone" is going 1x.

There are some legitimate reasons to consider it, but what you've stated so far makes it sound like you're wanting it just so you can say your bike is 1x. That's not a good reason.

It's your bike and your money, so I'm not trying to tell you what to (not) do, but it seems you're trying to spend hard-earned money solving a problem that doesn't exist.

AM.
    I totally agree.
    Waste of $$
    But sheeps fallow.
    They do not listen.
    Go waste money, look cool
    be ahead of the crow, remove your seatpost and saddle
    go light
    or just loose 5-10 pounds
    be smart
    get rid of your so called smart phone
    yourGPS