Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading my 29er?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Legbacon 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am a beginner into mountain biking, got a Spec Rockhopper Sport 29er, helmet and a pair of gloves. I was thinking now about upgrading to a shorter stem ( got a 70mm and was looking at 30/40mm) and a little bit wider handlebars ( 720mm came with the bike and I was looking for a 760/780 mm ) Do you think it will be a good idea to upgrade these components right now ?

#2 ·
Welcome.

If you're a beginner make sure you spend some time building skills, fitness and experience so you really know what upgrade will buy you some benefit or advantage.

Look for IMBA chapter, clubs or group rides by you. You'll probably learn a lot that way and can maybe try or see other stuff in action before you make a purchase.

I'm 5'10 and have 720, 750 and 760 bars. All work fine. Bigger would be overkill for my size and getting through tight spots. Why try first? Friends the same size riding the same trails feel just the opposite as I do about bar length and stem length.

I don't know your bike but know top tube length is part of what stem is right for the 4 bikes I share with my wife. 70 mm is perfect for the more traditional yet modern bikes. The radically modern long, low and slack bike is best with a short stem. Short stem on one of our bikes feels as wrong as it feels right on the other. You want what' best for your bike and riding and you more than just seek a specific size without reason.

Have fun learning and riding!

#4 ·
There's a lot of going on about longer bars slowing steering down and shorter stems speeding it back up, but you have to ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish. With two bikes, I've got an XXL with a 100mm stem and 690 bars and an XL that's got a 100mm stem and 730 bars. The cockpit size is important for the fit of the bike, not just the steering and leverage you have on the bike. I guess what I'm saying is, don't upgrade stuff without a purpose, otherwise you're spending money trying to solve a problem you might not have, or maybe even creating a problem where one didn't exist before.

#5 ·
I'd say it all depends on tall you are, what size bike you have and how long you've had the bike and how much time you've given that setup to see how it really works for you. For me personally at 6'2" with ape long arms, I run nothing narrower than a 760mm bar, but stem wise, anything from 50-70mm, depending on which bike and it's intended use.

If anything, I'd probably try the bar first, get the widest you think you might like, then give it a good few rides to get accustomed to it before thinking of cutting it down, then before cutting it down, try just moving you cockpit in however much and give it a ride or two like that to see how it feels, then cut if it feels good.

#7 ·
How does the bike feel/fit now? When I was a beginner if I had 760mm bars when I started I would have stopped at every tight point of the trail. 2 seasons later when I felt comfortable flying through the trees I moved to 780, felt great but I got tired of waking trees and moved to 760, since there were some trees 780 won't fit through.

As you get used to the bike if you feel you would like you arms wider for more leverage increase the bar. If you want faster turning than maybe a 50mm stem. Good peddles and tires are money well spent early on.

#8 ·
Just about any bike needs proper tires for you
and proper pressure for you.
Get those 2 dialed in it is affordable and travels across decades.
Longer/shorter might help later, practice, learn, enjoy !
My legs are just crazy long so without knowing you anything i write might be useless or even totally wrong but if you have crazy long legs i have a tip or 2. :cool:

#9 ·
760mm is narrow by today's standards & 70mm is quite long ^^

Try out various widths/lengths & find what works for you ;-)

For me - at my height, the way I ride & what feels comfortable...

I run 50mm stems & 780-790mm bars. I originally rode 760mm bars, but they never felt right.

My old Kona Process had a 40mm stem & on that bike it worked!

On my current 650b Enduro rig, I'm running 50mm stem - 790mm bar combo & it's fine.

On my AM HT 29er, I'm running 50mm stem also with 780mm bars.

Try 50mm rather than going to an extreme 30-40mm stem. If that ain't right try a 60mm.

Re, handlebars - I'd say get some 780's & test them out i.e. moving your grips & controls inboard to say 740mm or 760mm. Ride like that for several rides, then move them out to 780mm & repeat.

Basically, move your setup around on the bars until you find what fits you. But, be sure... because once you cut you can't go wider o_0

NB, Going wider with bars usually necessitates going shorter with stem & vice versa.

PS - if a particular stem doesn't work out... Stick it in your spare parts draw.

How I wish I didn't on-sell many parts that didn't quite work for a particular bike, but... could have been real handy right now.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I wish I had a short stem and wide bar when I first started out 30 years ago. You can only go so short before you will be to cramped up to ride so see if you can borrow some stems and bars. My 98 rigid SS has a 50mm and 760mm bar on it, and even though it is a steep 26er it handles fine. Mainly relegated to townie duty, but I hit some fairly demanding trails and it was ok, for a rigid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.