UPGRADING my 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

UPGRADING my 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Hey folks! I'm new here, and new to trail/mtn biking. I used to BMX jump as a kid 15 years ago (Im 30).

Got my hands on this HT 08 29er for dirt cheap. Looking to do some upgrade to make it a little more aggressive for trail riding. I live in Whitehorse, Yukon and we have a TON of trails here, and a lot of downhill. I understand an HT is not a great bike for downhill, but it's what I've got for now.

I'm already looking at grips and pedals, and would like to switch to a 1x9 (maybe 1x10?). Ideally, I'd like a dropper post, but if I cant get one for free, Ill just refrain for now because they're flippin expensive! I'll also need new tires. Do I need to go tubeless? I have no idea what I need here. I like to ride aggressively.

So, what I'd like to know is what would be everybody's recommendations for new parts - and is there a place to get used ones, and are used parts even worth the trouble?

RAKC
    Rockhopper is the entry level specialized bike. Besides grips and tires I wouldn't bother much with trying to upgrade. The wheels are going to fail if you push it too hard so keep the money for better wheels if your going to ride it hard.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Any suggestions for wheels & tires? I do ride aggressively, and I still like to jump. Lots of huck to flats here. The trails are good, but have loads of rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork is likely going to limit you. It's probably a Suntour with a spring inside and plastic bushings. A good air fork, new wheels with wide 30mm inner dimension rims and wider tires. New 1 x 10 drivetrain and better brakes. About $1500 worth of components and you'll have a usable bike for your terrain.

CRC Bikes has a 29 NS Nucleus for $650US shipped no tax.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181494

It also has better slack geo than your model.

Buy cheap without info makes what you need more expensive.

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Before you start burning money, ride a little more and find out what's lacking and what you don't like about your bike. For a beginner, it's unlikely that the bike is holding you back.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    yeah i only spent like $150 CDN on the specialized, so that wasnt too bad. If I buy a new bike though, Ill go FS. I guess the consensus here is to just ride this one out til it breaks.