Upgrade XC28 forks to something better...what is that better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Upgrade XC28 forks to something better...what is that better?

I'm a DYI and gearhead. I love working twinking my bikes/cars/motorcycles. If ride keeps being rough as it has been, I'll be upgrade the front works. Seem as if they weren't taking any of the force. If I upgrade what would you guys recommend with in reason, I'm not a racer or anything like that. Say 300/400 dollar limit get me something pretty good?

mtbr member
    A huge number of threads on this including many current ones.
    A Rock Shox Reba or Recon Gold (with motion control, there are several models of Recon)
    Manitou forks very are popular. Possibly the best value for money.
    A new Fox for $400 will take some good shopping to find.
    A higher end Suntour.

Perhaps you need to tune your fork. ie Fit the corrrect spring for your weight riding style. A XC 32 should be stiffer and with the correct spring should be suitable for mild trial riding. Also there was a model of Tora fork with an air spring that you might still be able to find a deal on.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Rogue Exterminator
    Rockshox Reba would be my first choice in that price range and then the Recon Gold.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Agree. I'm loving the Reba after suffering a few rides with the XC 28 that had come stock on my bike. Shaving a 1.5# with either is a nice benefit as well. I'd jump on this Recon Gold for the price, if it's the right configuration for your bike.

mtbr member
    I went with the Recon , the great price is hard to beat
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How will going with a longer travel (have 100 now) effect my handling/geometry. Also is there a how to or a DYI?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    How will going with a longer travel (have 100 now) effect my handling/geometry. Also is there a how to or a DYI?

Thanks
    I use Google. Try "fork instal". watch videos.

There are threads on fitting longer forks.
    It will raise the front end and slow the steering a little. Most frames can handle an extra 20mm of fork travel.

A longer fork doesn't necessarily mean a better handling or performing bike.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    A huge number of threads on this including many current ones.
    A Rock Shox Reba or Recon Gold (with motion control, there are several models of Recon)
    Manitou forks very are popular. Possibly the best value for money.
    A new Fox for $400 will take some good shopping to find.
    A higher end Suntour.

Perhaps you need to tune your fork. ie Fit the corrrect spring for your weight riding style. A XC 32 should be stiffer and with the correct spring should be suitable for mild trial riding. Also there was a model of Tora fork with an air spring that you might still be able to find a deal on.
    The air style forks, they use air to adjust for weight thus eliminated the need to change out springs?

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Rockshox Reba would be my first choice in that price range and then the Recon Gold.
    Reba are better than Recon? Any certain sub-model of the reba to look in to?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The air style forks, they use air to adjust for weight thus eliminated the need to change out springs? ​Yes.

Reba are better than Recon? Any certain sub-model of the reba to look in to?
    Recon Gold is the model below the Reba.

Never trust a fart
    Recon Gold TK

Reba RL

Manitou Tower Pro or Expert.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My brake bracket should mount up to the reba/recon correct? Both are post mount.

How different in perferomance if any are dual vs solo Reba RL. I can get RLT for few bucks more ($30)

Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RLT - Solo Air 100 mm, (9 - mm QR, (1-1/8, 29 - Inch), Crown Adjust, Black): Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 04-19-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Upgrade XC28 forks to something better...what is that better?

Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86l...e_gdata_player

Also went with the Recon Gold... Great upgrade. Saved some weight and it's pocket friendly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My thing is I'm not sure if I would like the air shock vs coil. Never had a quality fork so I have nothing to compare it to. Are the air fork still lacking small bump compliance?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't know firsthand, but it seems like there are a lot of favorable reviews for the quality and affordability of the Xfusion Slides.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Upgrade XC28 forks to something better...what is that better?

My thing is I'm not sure if I would like the air shock vs coil. Never had a quality fork so I have nothing to compare it to. Are the air fork still lacking small bump compliance?
    Depends on which one you get. IMHO air is better than coil. You can usually catch a break with the weight with an air fork too. I dropped 2.2 lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    I went with the Recon , the great price is hard to beat
    I also went with the Recon deal from Random Bike Parts. Wasn't sure before I actually rode with it because I really wanted either a Reba or Tower Pro but I'm very happy with it, especially for the money!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm having a hard time grasping the "threshold" concept. Would this be use to tune for small bumps while compression would be used for big or fast or big and fash bumps?

Also is there a big difference in the RL or RLT...basically is it worth the extra money?