Trance 29 2 Faster Tires Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trance 29 2 Faster Tires Advice

I just ordered my first mountain bike, Trance Advanced Pro 29 2, and realize the tires that come with the bike (Maxxis Minion) might not be the best choice for my current riding environment.

Most of my riding will be on asphalt roads and and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a faster tire for use on the street with the Trance.

Maybe some day, if I am lucky, I will have an opportunity to take the bike out and ride some actual mountain bike trails.

Thanks!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Picard, is that you?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Picard, is that you?
    Well hello there and welcome to the mountain bike forums.....

WillWorkForTrail
    The short answer is, anything will roll faster than a minion. Long answer, itís going to be hard to find a smooth tire as wide as youíll need for the rims that come on the Trance. Off the top of my head, you might search for the Schwalbe Big Apple and see if A) itís still even a thing ad B) if it comes in a 2.3 or wider width.

For what itís worth, the Trance is a great bike on the trails - when you get a chance to get it there, youíll have a blast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks for xc tires or even gravel tires but as above, the tire volume/width needs to pair up well with the width of your rims. I really like the continental race kings i have on my urban bike. The are 2.2 inch width, but I wouldnít go with them on anything wider than 25mm ID rims.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

I decided to order a pair of Maxxis Ikon Maxx Speed tires in 29x 2.35" and run a little higher pressure. If the Ikon's don't work out, I might look into getting a set of rims designed for slightly smaller tires.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sawacs View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

I decided to order a pair of Maxxis Ikon Maxx Speed tires in 29x 2.35" and run a little higher pressure. If the Ikon's don't work out, I might look into getting a set of rims designed for slightly smaller tires.

Cheers!
    Most modern BMX bikes are running 36mm rims at this point, if youíre really only riding pavement a bmx tire would be one of your fastest rolling options.

29 x 2.5 - https://www.stolenbmx.com/collection...29-atlas-tires

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am running a Schwalbe G-One All Around 29 x 2.25 on 29mm internal width rims. This tire is quiet and super low rolling resistance. Much lower than the Big Apple. Speed on my bike is 2.5 mph faster overall than the Minion DHR II I had on there. I am running them tubeless at around 30 psi Me and the bike weight 280 lb

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Specialized tires are cheap and work well. The FasTrack 2.3 seems to be what you are looking for

mtbr member
    I decided to keep the tires that came with the bike until I gain a little more experience riding around.

The tires might not be ideal but after taking the bike out for the 1st ride today, I have zero complaints about the stock tires.

Thanks!