Torque cap vs Standard- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Torque cap vs Standard

I'm searching for carbon wheels for my 2018 Tallboy and am seeing options for Torque Cap or standard on XD driver. Can I choose either?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by babazaroni View Post
    I'm searching for carbon wheels for my 2018 Tallboy and am seeing options for Torque Cap or standard on XD driver. Can I choose either?
    Torque Caps are only on Rockshox forks. They're supposed to make the fork wheel combo stiffer. I'm not sure I've ever felt a difference myself.

You can use a hub without torque caps on RS fork designed for torque caps, but if you remove the front wheel a lot for transportation, it can become annoying to remount it since you have to align it by feel.

If you get hubs with the Caps, you are stuck using Rockshox forks unless you swap out the end caps for normal ones when you switch forks.

Bottom line, if you don't have a RS fork, then don't get the torque cap option. If you have a RS fork, you can go either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The torque caps are for the front wheel to mate with rockshox forks which will accept them. Check if your current forks will take torque caps before you buy.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks, I'll have to get rockshox fork then. I'm converting 29er to 27.5 fat tires, and Santa Cruz recommends changing the fork as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by babazaroni View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to get rockshox fork then. I'm converting 29er to 27.5 fat tires, and Santa Cruz recommends changing the fork as well.
    Some hubs (ive just built some hope pro4 hubs up) have push in pull off endcaps which makes swapping between forks really easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had them on my last bike. Can't say I ever really noticed the difference in stiffness, but if you're replacing your fork and front hub anyway and you are getting a RockShox fork, you might as well get them. Like the others said...you can get front hubs that have end caps that can easily swap from torque cap to regular 15mm thru in case you did ever change from the RockShox fork to something else.

mtbr member
    I recall seeing somewhere somebody offering crescent shaped pieces that can be stuck inside torque cap forks to easily align normal axles. In my experience, putting a wheel with a normal axle into a torque cap fork is a bit fiddly, but not really a significant issue.

Torque caps might make a (small?) difference with a SRAM Predictive Steering hub, which is constructed with it's own internal large diameter axle and bearings.
    Do the math.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    I recall seeing somewhere somebody offering crescent shaped pieces that can be stuck inside torque cap forks to easily align normal axles.
    Torque cap vs Standard-newmen-tc-torque-cap-reducers-installed.jpg
    These? For me they're worth every one of the ten of the dollars if you use a fork mount rack in a van/truck.
    Visit us at lindarets.com!

mtbr member
    Beware, not all Rockshox forks accept Torque Caps. I have a 2017/2018 Pike that does not fit torque caps. I learned the hard way, after listening to everyone on here saying Torque Caps are for Rockshox forks, I ordered a new carbon wheel set with torque caps that did not fit my Rockshox Pike forks. Make sure you check your forks before ordering torque caps!
    Last edited by hrdude; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarifying post

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lindarets View Post
    I recall seeing somewhere somebody offering crescent shaped pieces that can be stuck inside torque cap forks to easily align normal axles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newmen TC Torque Cap Reducers Installed.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	1243591
    These? For me they're worth every one of the ten of the dollars if you use a fork mount rack in a van/truck.
    Except that you can buy the actual torque caps and their improved performance for like $15 instead.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lindarets View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newmen TC Torque Cap Reducers Installed.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	1243591
    Thanks for importing those and charging a very fair shipping cost. I got a set last week and they are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Beware, not all Rockshox forks accept Torque Caps. I have a 2017/2018 Pike that does not fit torque caps. I learned the hard way, after listening to everyone on here saying Torque Caps are for Rockshox forks, I ordered a new carbon wheel set with torque caps that did not fit my Rockshox Pike forks. Make sure you check your forks before ordering torque caps!
    Yep. Pike torque cap compatibility started with the B series forks.

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Except that you can buy the actual torque caps and their improved performance for like $15 instead.

No thanks. Whatever perceived increase in stiffness ain't worth the hassle when trying to get the bike on my roof rack. Not to mention, my new pike has the most rigid lowers of any fork I've owned. Takes quite a bit of strength just to get the lowers to spread apart a few millimeters. I didn't try that for any particular reason, I was just curious. Doing the same thing to an A series fork is a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    No thanks. Whatever perceived increase in stiffness ain't worth the hassle when trying to get the bike on my roof rack. Not to mention, my new pike has the most rigid lowers of any fork I've owned. Takes quite a bit of strength just to get the lowers to spread apart a few millimeters. I didn't try that for any particular reason, I was just curious. Doing the same thing to an A series fork is a lot easier.
    Are you saying torque caps don't fit in your roof rack? They are just different hub end caps that stay in place. They are not wider, just a few mm larger diameter.
    Also the fork stiffness you reference (RS is much stiffer than Fox btw) is different from the stiffness that Torque Caps address, which is helping preventing the wheel from twisting at the hub. TC's strive to keep the front wheel axle perpendicular to the forks.

mtbr member
    IMO, torque caps do very little if the internal axle in the hub isn't correspondingly bigger in diameter, as it is with the so called "Predictive Steering" hubs.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    IMO, torque caps do very little if the internal axle in the hub isn't correspondingly bigger in diameter, as it is with the so called "Predictive Steering" hubs.
    The only reason I fitted torques to mine (hppe pro4 15mm axle) was to make it easier to fit it in the dropouts.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Are you saying torque caps don't fit in your roof rack? They are just different hub end caps that stay in place. They are not wider, just a few mm larger diameter.
    Also the fork stiffness you reference (RS is much stiffer than Fox btw) is different from the stiffness that Torque Caps address, which is helping preventing the wheel from twisting at the hub. TC's strive to keep the front wheel axle perpendicular to the forks.
    The fork won't line up with the fork holder. So you've got one hand on the downtube, trying not to drop the bike on your roof, and the axle in the other hand, trying to get it in the fork holder that no longer lines up automatically. F that. I'm sure Kuat and whoever else will end up making fork holders with wide ends like torque caps, but I don't care. This flex issue hasn't been a thing since they stopped making forks with open dropouts.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Thanks for importing those and charging a very fair shipping cost. I got a set last week and they are brilliant.
    You're welcome! Kind of a break-even thing for us (I hope) but too cool not to bring in batches of 50 or so when we can.
    Visit us at lindarets.com!