Tire Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Question

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Tire Question

I have a set of Reynolds R29 AM Wheels on my Lynskey Ridgeline Hardtail that currently have Maxxis Ignitor 2.1" tire front and back. The wheels have a 23mm internal width and I wondering if I can run Maxxis Minion 2.3" tires successfully. I'll be running them tubeless if they will work okay. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Unless it says WT (Wide Trail) on the tires...you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Unless it says WT (Wide Trail) on the tires...you'll be fine.
    Thanks, I thought so but wanted to make sure. Since these wheels are 2014 - 2016 old it's hard to find any data on them. They definitely fall into the XC range of wheels, which is really what my Lynskey is built for, but I would like to throw on some wider shoes on for slightly nastier trails.

mtbr member
    I have a bike with 2.35 Schwalbe tires on i23 rims, and they're fine.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slomtbr View Post
    I have a bike with 2.35 Schwalbe tires on i23 rims, and they're fine.
    Right on, I went with 2.25 Maxxis Ardent dual compound. Gonna give them a shot. They seem to be like the Schwalbe Nobby Nic as far as an all around tire. I was going to go for the Nobby Nic but kept reading about wear issues and durability. If you have experience with Nobby Nic's I'd be interested in your take as far as their quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    Right on, I went with 2.25 Maxxis Ardent dual compound. Gonna give them a shot. They seem to be like the Schwalbe Nobby Nic as far as an all around tire. I was going to go for the Nobby Nic but kept reading about wear issues and durability. If you have experience with Nobby Nic's I'd be interested in your take as far as their quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I would say the Ardent and Nobby Nic are quite different from one another. I do think the Ardent will wear a bit better, but since about 2016 (and even more so after the introduction of the Addix compound) wear on the Nobby Nic is fine).

I think the NoNi is vastly superior, but I'm not an Ardent fan, though I like other Maxxis tires. Many people like the Ardent, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I would say the Ardent and Nobby Nic are quite different from one another. I do think the Ardent will wear a bit better, but since about 2016 (and even more so after the introduction of the Addix compound) wear on the Nobby Nic is fine).

I think the NoNi is vastly superior, but I'm not an Ardent fan, though I like other Maxxis tires. Many people like the Ardent, though.
    Good information, thanks. The Nobby Nic and Ardent do look different but they are both billed as their brands all around tire. I have no skin in the game since I've been out of the fray for so long and am just getting back into the sport. I rode hard and raced when I was a teenager from 1988 to 1994, but things were way different back then. I then came back in around 2004 until about 2007, but things have changed so much even since then. The myriad of tire options is astounding to say the least. After the Ardent's wear down I might give the Nobby Nic's a go, I like the all around tire capability. I'm not gonna be pounding down any of the crazy stuff they have these days, especially on my hardtail, although I did just buy a dropper post for it. Gotta be at least a little prepared for the nasty trails folks are riding today .

No good in rock gardens..
    Ignitors tend to run a bit small. I think you'll enjoy the extra cush the 2.25 Ardents offer. They're noticeably wider and taller.

Not a brilliant front tyre in loose stuff due to the shallowish, close tread but not a total washout either. Set them up tubeless and enjoy more traction and cushion.

A good next step up without going to boat anchors like the Minion, is the 2.35 Forekaster. A good all around trail tyre.
    Less isn't MOAR