Tioga Edge 29x2.5 initial review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tioga Edge 29x2.5 initial review

A few have asked for an initial review of the Tioga Edge 29x2.5. After our week of rain and hero dirt, I let the trails get back to their usual hardpack and kitty litter over hardpack. No rock gardens or roots or mud. Mostly fast and flowy with rare deep pockets of sand.

I'm 165 pounds, Cat 1 xc/marathon/enduro. Strava shows over 600 hours in 2019. Bike is Evil the Offering with 140mm fork (51 rake). Usually run the Maxxis HRII 3C/EXO in either 2.3 or 2.4, and 20 to 22 psi. No insert.

Tioga Edge 29x2.5 set at same 20 to 22 psi. Actual weight is 959 grams. Measured at 2.5 on the dot with my 30IW carbon rim.

My first concern was the lack of center tread. Would it be twice the "channel of death" sensation I feel with the DHF on lean-in, and would braking suffer? Would there be too much rolling resistance?

There is not a no-man's land sensation anywhere from full upright to laid over in a berm, thankfully. Lean-in and hard braking are on par with DHRII. Very predictable whether seated and cornering lazy or aggressive off the saddle and weighting the tire. No wandering, hunting or tall-knob squirm.

Rolling resistance up front on dirt didn't feel any different than my DHF, XR4 Team Issue, HR2 or the aforementioned DHRII.

The Edge 22 is predictable when it breaks traction, and I found it easy to cut down a corner (going in high then turning quicker through the apex). If I entered a corner too fast, and feathered the brake, the 22 would not give up and understeer. It felt like the front actually made an effort to change direction and become planted.

Where the 22 really shines, and made me smile because the confidence was a 10/10, was mid to high speed corners. Simply place chin over the stem, outside pedal down, outside elbow up, and drive the suspension into the apex. Didn't matter if terrain went from hardpack to loose and back, the tire did not squirm/wallow/hunt. And if I fubar'd the turn, gentle braking front or rear, or a foot held out flattrack style, did not upset the feedback. There is never a vague floating ghost sensation with the Edge 22.

So where does the 22 make me pause?

It's obviously not a road tire, but we rode in a new part of the valley with a trail crisscrossing an old farmer's broken paved driveway. It's almost cobble, or generations old weathered cement with polished rocks protruding randomly The 22 felt like it was on ice. Maybe my DHRII would have done the same, I don't know. I have never ridden a dirt trail like this before.

And the other talking point is the price. At $79.99 MSRP, it'd be a tough sell over the commonly-found Maxxis offerings at $45 to $55. I believe a few riding buds are paying $70 for their Dissectors. Maybe worldwidecyclery and blueskycycling will have better pricing when availability increases.

Obviously longevity can't be discussed or how it performs when tread degrades. I'm gong to lend the tire to a local pro enduro racer who is an Assegai fanboy. Eager to get his objective no-fluff feedback. Also see how the knobs handle 2 days of rocks and hard cornering under his 200 pounds.

My beloved DHRII is a fantastic tire, but I'd happily choose the 22 as my go-to for both local terrain and roadtrips into the unknown.

Any questions, please ask.

mtbr member
    Excellent review. Thanks for pass along your impressions.

mtbr member
    Good review for sure.
    How about off camber straight line stuff? Track straight with confidence and stable or wonder around/slide?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Good review for sure.
    How about off camber straight line stuff? Track straight with confidence and stable or wonder around/slide?

We have a fast descent not too steep with four off camber sections. I was hesitant at first, but the chin-over-stem & driving the pedals into the ground made any hesitation disappear.

My DHRII handles that trail great. My DHF is pucker factor 10 due to wandering from that channel and tall knobs. My XR4 was vague.

Curious how it performs a month or two into hard summer use.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Lean-in and hard braking are on par with DHRII. Very predictable whether seated and cornering lazy or aggressive off the saddle and weighting the tire. No wandering, hunting or tall-knob squirm.
    Get out of town... really?

I used to run 2.5WT DHF's up front and have switched to 2.4WT DHR2's because I LOVE how they brake as an aggressively ridden front tire on the trails of the Front Range in Colorado (and in New Mexico and in Arizona).

The DHR2 is (hands down) the best braking tire I've ever ridden... I really wanna try an Edge 22, but the lack of the "paddles" has me questioning if it really brakes like a DHR2 (or HR2).
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Get out of town... really?

I used to run 2.5WT DHF's up front and have switched to 2.4WT DHR2's because I LOVE how they brake as an aggressively ridden front tire on the trails of the Front Range in Colorado (and in New Mexico and in Arizona).

The DHR2 is (hands down) the best braking tire I've ever ridden... I really wanna try an Edge 22, but the lack of the "paddles" has me questioning if it really brakes like a DHR2 (or HR2).
    Indeed the HR2 is a great tire. Felt a bit melancholy taking it off, ha.
    The Edge never had me overshooting a turn or white knuckling a baaaaarely stopping front brake grab. Like the HR2: drive in fast, brake, off brakes, lean, exit. I'm only 165 pounds (75kg), and run 180mm rotor f&r, and decades of racing on loose over hard has taught me how to avoid losing momentum or traction. My rears always let loose first. I also race motorcycles, and work for a suspension manufacturing company, so traction & braking are part of my life. Not saying I know more than anyone else, but it's an area I focus on.

There are a slew of tires that have given me pause and a loss of confidence no matter how great the reviews, marketing or forum hyperbole. If I had a dollar for every $10 Craiglist ad for "ridden 2 weeks" or given away to a friend, I'd probably have enough to buy an Edge 22 at msrp, ha!

It's not a reinvention of the wheel. But it's a good option for someone who hasn't connected with the current market favorites, and is looking for a confidence-inspiring front tire. I'm hitting all my marks, going fast and not hesitating during entry or through a corner. The DHRII gave me 100% confidence. The Edge 22 is giving me 100% confidence in the local conditions.

You know how it goes: one or a few bad rides on any product and the confidence goes away, and it's time to replace. The Edge 22 is a keeper for my riding style and local terrain. If the 2.4WT DHR2 works brilliantly I see no reason to switch. Options are good, but having a go-to product is priceless.

mtbr member
    Great feedback danK. What are you running on the rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great feedback danK. What are you running on the rear?

Yesterday a XR4 Team Issue went on. Mmmm, maybe not the best choice. Being a xc marathon climber weirdo, I prefer a faster lighter rear tire even on my "big bike", and will give up a bit of traction for better rolling resistance. But the XR4, like the XR4 Team Issue front that put me on my head often, loses traction unpredictably no matter the angle or amount of braking. I digress. I'll put a HR2 or DHRII back on the Offering.

I've never ridden in NM or AZ, but spent last summer in the Front Range. I liked the DHF in the rocks (was on Transition Sentinel carbon), and loooved the DHF when we went to St. George the next moth, but the DHRII was a sigh of relief after going through so many tires for my local trails which aren't as rocky or steep.

Always the last one to know, I just found this BIKE review, and it mimics my opinions for similar trail conditions: https://www.bikemag.com/gear/compone...tioga-edge-22/

mtbr member
    ^Cool, looking forward to it.
    Yeah the SE5 and 4 were 2 of the most overated tires I've run in resent history. Awesome awesome casing but just didn't get along with either nor did I find the 4 all that fast.

Work gets in the way
    Hey you tire guys with all the tire experience. Will a maxxis rekon lose grip unpredictably when cornering? I'm pretty heavy, 260ish, and tall, so I've always used that as an excuse to not lean into any corners at all. I bought the Rekons because the price was right and I wanted 2.6. If I need to be running another tire for a marked improvement in my ride, tell me please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm a bit confused by your reference to the "edge 22" as opposed to your thread title "Edge 29 2.5".
    I'm not that hard to confuse, these days. Could you tell me what gives with the references?
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your reference to the "edge 22" as opposed to your thread title "Edge 29 2.5".
    I'm not that hard to confuse, these days. Could you tell me what gives with the references?
    I apologize for the confusion. The tire is the Edge 22, but for the longest time it was available only in 27.5, so when the 29 version finally came out (think there was a 4 to 6 month wait in part to COVID), I titled it "Edge 29 2.5" which is redundant seeing as how this is the 29er Component forum. My bad, sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm very interested in your friend's opinion on this tire vs Assgai. I love everything about the tire but the rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Another quick initial review:

Some measurements

I installed the 29 x 2.5 Edge 22 about 2.5 days ago. Before I rode the tire, I left it at 40 psi overnight. At 22 psi on a 30 mm inner width carbon rim (Derby), the current tread width is @ 2.43" and the casing width is @ 2.33". For comparison, I measured my 3 month-old 2.5 DHF EXO at 22 psi on a 30 mm inner width carbon rim (Specialized). The current tread casing width is @2.53" and the casing width is @2.41". Visually, the DHF appears to be the higher volume tire. I don't have an accurate scale, so I did not weight the tire.

Some background info:

I live and ride in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Typical trail conditions include rock, loose sand, and loose over hardpack. I am a moderately aggressive trail rider that never spends time in a bike park. I am also relatively easy on tires.

I have been using a 2.4 Vittoria Goma on my Ibis Ripley v4 with the 30 mm inner width Derby rim for the past 1.5 seasons. I have been using the current 2.5 DHF on my Ripmo v1 with 30 mm inner width Specialized for the past 3 months. I have been using front tires with a distinct channel/no transition knobs (i/e/ tires listed above plus e13 TRS tires) between the center and corner knobs for quite a few years. I really like a "locked in" feeling when cornering and I am OK with leaning the tire over hard to engage the cornering knobs.

Some initial ride impressions:

I only have 2 rides on the Edge 22 (I installed it on my Ripley v4) but I covered quite a bit of variable terrain. In general, I was quite impressed. The tire seems to roll really well and I didn't sense any loss of braking traction despite the lack of prominent center knobs steep and blown out/loose trail conditions. The tire also held like a champ will climbing off camber trail slopes.

I guess the big draw of this tire is the cornering prowess and the tire did not disappoint. I can't say that the Edge 22 cornered better than the DHF but both tires are quite impressive when it comes to cornering traction. What I did notice immediately is that the Edge 22's transition as I lean the tire over feels almost seamless. For folks that prefer transition knobs in their front tire, this could be a great option. I don't really like transition knobs in my front tire and I think that the Edge 22 is a great front tire option. Ha!

I know that this is a brand new tire and the knobs are in peak condition, but my initial impression is that the tire designers succeeded in meeting their design objectives. If the Edge 22 continues to deliver durable and dependable performance, Tioga definitely has produced a winner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    For folks that prefer transition knobs in their front tire, this could be a great option. I don't really like transition knobs in my front tire and I think that the Edge 22 is a great front tire option. Ha!
    I've always had transition knobs being a xc/marathon upright riding style, but when getting into aggressive trail everyone told me the DHF was the tire to have for cutting into the trail for max traction. Whew, that channel of death scared me back to transition knobs.

My Tioga has a few weeks of hard use on sand, hardpack, and loose over hard. It's still sticking securely. I did have a sketchy moment when the tall grass from weeks of rain laid down on the hardpack edge. No tire is sticking to layers of grass. May as well been ice.

I still haven't taken the XR4 Team Issue off back. My gosh, the Tioga's grip truly highlight's the XR4's scary unpredictable breakaway. The Edge 22 gives so much time to correct when traction breaks!

Curious how it'll perform a month or more into summer. MSRP or mailorder needs to be in line with Maxxis.

hispanic mechanic
    Iím super interested in trying the 29Ē Edge 22. I tried a 27.5Ē last fall/early winter here in SW Idaho. I was a little freaked out by the looks of it, and it took a couple of rides to trust it, but I was pretty impressed.
    I didnít care much for the bike it was on, and excited to see what it can do on a bike Iím comfortable on!
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    "I still haven't taken the XR4 Team Issue off back. My gosh, the Tioga's grip truly highlight's the XR4's scary unpredictable breakaway. The Edge 22 gives so much time to correct when traction breaks!"

I use the same rear tire on my Ripley v4. While I still really like the XR4's balance of rolling speed and traction, as well as the volume of the XR4, the Edge 22 has certainly highlighted the XR4's lack of cornering prowess/edge hold on steep. off-camber terrain.

Rocks belong
    @danK

Re-reading your comments in this thread, I'm getting a touch confused... Are you comparing the Edge 22 to a Maxxis DHR2, a Maxxis High Roller 2, or both? Seems you're likely comparing to a DHR2, but your comments have "HRII" references as well.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    I'll post up a review of the edge 22 when I get a chance. In short I would not recommend the tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    @danK

Re-reading your comments in this thread, I'm getting a touch confused... Are you comparing the Edge 22 to a Maxxis DHR2, a Maxxis High Roller 2, or both? Seems you're likely comparing to a DHR2, but your comments have "HRII" references as well.
    As a front, I'm comparing it to the DHR2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll post up a review of the edge 22 when I get a chance. In short I would not recommend the tire.

Looking forward to your opinion! Wonder what you disliked so much about it. I just posted in the Wheels/Tires forum about the last almost-120 miles of my experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How doe the edge 22 compare to the dissector?