Thoughts on Deore 5100 11speed vs Microshift Advent X 10 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Thoughts on Deore 5100 11speed vs Microshift Advent X 10 speed?

I have a 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x that uses the Microshift Advent 1x9 drivetrain. It doesn't have boost spacing in the rear, so if I upgrade to more gears on the bike my options are SRAM SX/NX, Deore 4100/5100 1x10/1x11 or the Microsfift Advent X 1x10. I really like the gear spacing of my current 1x9 but would like a bigger gear for climbing..the Deore 5100 has the exact same gearing for the top 7 gears, and has 4 lower gears with a 51 and a 46 while my current lowest gear is a 42. That seems pretty usable. The Microshift is the same it just adds a 48 gear. The SRAM has alot of different gearing throughout the range. I have also heard bad things about the durability of the low end SRAM. Its also the most expensive of the 3 options so unless there is a compelling reason, the SRAM SX/NX isn't an option. So now its thehe 1x11 Deore vs the 1x10 MicroShift Advent X. They are both very new so not alot of actual riding impressions and not alot of durability data for either. The things I have read about the the Microshift Advent X is its smoother and more refined than the old Advent system. I'd like to know The Deore 5100 would feel vs the Advent X. Its a little more money, but its 11 speeds vs 10...so I gain 2 climbing gears. Microshift is a little lighter. Thoughts?
    Last edited by jrhone; 05-16-2020 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What size is your chainring? I would start there because you probably aren't spinning out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    30T chainring...and on some high speed sections I am spinning out. Not alot but occasionally.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    30T chainring...and on some high speed sections I am spinning out. Not alot but occasionally.
    uh-huh. how fast are you going?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    uh-huh. how fast are you going?
    according to Strava...25.1 mph on one of my normal rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You don't need boost for 1x12 shimano btw. then you get a 10-51, and a 32t ring, so more top end, and more bottom end. SLX is on sale at merlin for $260ish usd which is cheaper than deore right now. Then you need a wheel/hub (dt, hope, and a few others make 135qr microspline hubs, I use an SLX but I had to mod it)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The prices for the new Deore 5100 11 speed drivetrain are less than those SLX prices. I am looking at about 220 for a cassette, shifter, RD and chain. I will not need a new rear hub for that it will fit my existing hub.

I will look into possibly getting a new hub and going SLX as that includes cranks and the Deore 5100 is without.

I am leaning towards the Deore 5100 11 speed. It gives me the ability to upgrade the components and not break the bank and not have to go rear hub right now. I can then upgrade the sprocket to a 32T and get more top and more bottom than I have right now. Gives me the most options with the least amount of money spent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was comparing to deore 6100 (and of course as you note, you get the fill kit with slx, cranks and bb included). I didn't see deore 5100 as being available anywhere (deore 6100 is listed, but no one actually has it for at least another month or 2)

But yeah, the wheel is a big thing, cause, for the most part, microspline wheels are high end and expensive, and shimanos are through axle only (I modded mine to be QR, but you need a lathe for that).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 5100 stuff is sold by component only and most places that have it listed show shipping in a few weeks. Thats why I put together a cassette, shifter, RD and chain at about $220. Fits the existing hub and I get 11-51 11 speed. I bought the bike to see if I was going to get into MT Biking so I didnt splurge on the bike. Spect $700 on a good starter bike. The thought was I would upgrade to a better bike in a year. At this point, it suits me well and I am having fun on it. I like the ergonomics and fit and handling alot. I have added Race Face pedals and a Specialized dropper. I was going to get a new Rockhopper Expert but the new one doesnt have a tapered head tube or boost spacing, so I though they literally have taken a step back and the frame is pretty much the same as my current frame. They changed the geometry a bit, but I like the geometry I have. So I thought ride it another yer or so and just do a few things like 1x11 upgrade and maybe a nicer air shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Cool, id only seen the 6100 listed. Shimano's usual track record for "shipping in a few weeks" tends to mean "some time by December, maybe...", so be wary of that, especially with this stupid virus (past excuses were a fire, a tsunami, they have the worst luck, ha!). I think I waited like a year before I could actually get xt di2 from when they said "shipping in a few weeks".

Hopefully, it is actually a few weeks though, cause I like the look of the new deore stuff a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool...I will wait until they start shipping to get my hopes up. I am not in a rush.

mtbr member
    How often are you spinning out? If its only for a few seconds per ride...you just might be better off coasting through those sections. Once I get above 20mph...I just coast. I don't feel like I go all that much faster and I'm using a ton of energy trying to get that extra 3 mph.

The other thing you can do is get a 11sp SLX M7000 or XT M8000 drivetrain. That has a 11-46 cassette. Depending on the derailleur hanger geo...you can get the 11sp RD to take a 50T cog. There are third party 11-50T 11sp cassettes. The 11sp stuff is pretty easy to find new and used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah they aren't shipping anytime soon, but cant wait till they are shipping in the new year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you're climbing everything you need to climb and nothing is broken, I'd sure think about doing something with that fork before I messed with the drivetrain. I guess it doesn't say for sure that you are riding this bike on MTB trails, but a better quality fork will transform the bike in a way that a couple more gears can't touch. Either that or save the cash for when it's time to upgrade the entire bike. My $0.02.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    I have a 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x that uses the Microshift Advent 1x9 drivetrain. It doesn't have boost spacing in the rear, so if I upgrade to more gears on the bike my options are SRAM SX/NX, Deore 4100/5100 1x10/1x11 or the Microsfift Advent X 1x10. I really like the gear spacing of my current 1x9 but would like a bigger gear for climbing..the Deore 5100 has the exact same gearing for the top 7 gears, and has 4 lower gears with a 51 and a 46 while my current lowest gear is a 42. That seems pretty usable. The Microshift is the same it just adds a 48 gear. The SRAM has alot of different gearing throughout the range. I have also heard bad things about the durability of the low end SRAM. Its also the most expensive of the 3 options so unless there is a compelling reason, the SRAM SX/NX isn't an option. So now its thehe 1x11 Deore vs the 1x10 MicroShift Advent X. They are both very new so not alot of actual riding impressions and not alot of durability data for either. The things I have read about the the Microshift Advent X is its smoother and more refined than the old Advent system. I'd like to know The Deore 5100 would feel vs the Advent X. Its a little more money, but its 11 speeds vs 10...so I gain 2 climbing gears. Microshift is a little lighter. Thoughts?
    FYI. Microshift's Advent 9 can handle a 46 tooth rear sprocket. Marin uses an 11-46 tooth SunRace cassette on its Nicasio+ model. It might be an option if you wish to save some money.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-nicasio

If I was in your shoes and was set on getting a new groupset, I'd go with either the Advent X or the new 10-speed Deore. You will not miss the one extra speed and the costs to buy it outright and future maintenance (chains and cassettes) are cheaper. My preference would be MicroSHIFT Advent X as the gearing gaps suit me better.