Super excited, just ordered a Fox 38 and installed a set of Rekon 29 x 2.6 tires!- Mtbr.com
    Work gets in the way

Super excited, just ordered a Fox 38 and installed a set of Rekon 29 x 2.6 tires!

I've been wanting a 36 fork for a long time, I just couldn't pull the trigger given the cost and my not being sure if it would be stiff enough to mitigate the noodley feel that I've got on my 34mm Rhythm forks at my 270lb weight. Well those 38's came out and all the beef that they have, I pretty much said "eff it" and just put them on my paypal 6mo/0 interest credit. That will spread the pain out nicely.

I got the 160mm travel forks, and ordered the 150mm travel air tube, I'd really rather have a 140mm, but the Fox technician that I spoke to says that they have no immediate plans to do any thing like that.

I have a 130mm travel 2018 Fuel EX8. I'm super excited to get the extra height out of the tires and the Fork. I get way too many pedal strikes as it is. I hope going to 150mm won't be too much, I'm gonna try the fork at 160mm before I put the 150mm air tube in, just to see what it's like. Maybe it won't be bad at all.

STOKED.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I kow the travel of the 36 can be reduced to 140.

bike tester
    i thought the 38 uses 34 air pistons no?

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    The 38 had to be 38mm to fit the new air shaft inside.

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    So "bike tester". What do you think? Is that going to be awkward at 130r & 160f travel? Will the slackening of the geometry be lame? Or will it be inconsequential?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    The 38 had to be 38mm to fit the new air shaft inside.
    And the air shaft is significantly different than the 2020 Fox 34 and 36 air shafts. I would expect the 38 to have its own unique air shaft.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Beware that the 2.6 Rekon is a 120 tpi tire. Very supple sidewalls. I would think an EXO+ Tire would be better suited for 270 lbs. and riding a bike kitted with a 38.

mtbr member

I have a 130mm travel 2018 Fuel EX8. I'm super excited to get the extra height out of the tires and the Fork. I get way too many pedal strikes as it is. I hope going to 150mm won't be too much, I'm gonna try the fork at 160mm before I put the 150mm air tube in, just to see what it's like. Maybe it won't be bad at all.

STOKED.
    Congrats. I expect you'll love it. 130 to 150 isn't a crazy difference. You may be running minimum sag - like 20% - on the 130 and you could run 30% on the 150.

IDK what the axle to crown value is, but if they're the same, the actual sitting height of a 130 at 20% sag is 104 mm.
    At 150 mm at 30% sag, the actual sitting height from that is only 1 mm more at 105.

That won't even raise the BB enough to notice, but it'll be way more supple. And you can always run 20% if you want to raise it.

Like you said, I'd try it at 160 first and see how you like it.

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Congrats. I expect you'll love it. 130 to 150 isn't a crazy difference. You may be running minimum sag - like 20% - on the 130 and you could run 30% on the 150.

IDK what the axle to crown value is, but if they're the same, the actual sitting height of a 130 at 20% sag is 104 mm.
    At 150 mm at 30% sag, the actual sitting height from that is only 1 mm more at 105.

That won't even raise the BB enough to notice, but it'll be way more supple. And you can always run 20% if you want to raise it.

Like you said, I'd try it at 160 first and see how you like it.
    The axle to crown difference is 537mm for the 34 and 573 for the 160 38. The 150 38 is 563. I appreciate your words because this is something I'm going back and forth on in my head over and over. I really want to go with the latest and greatest in the 38, but I wonder if the 150 lower end of travel will be too much.

Also, worldwide Cyclery screwed me on the purchase and even though I called becore ordering to verify the stock that showed online, they say they oversold and don't have anything in stock after I placed the order.

So I have more time to think about it now.

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Beware that the 2.6 Rekon is a 120 tpi tire. Very supple sidewalls. I would think an EXO+ Tire would be better suited for 270 lbs. and riding a bike kitted with a 38.
    Your right, but so far I haven't had issues with flats using 120tpi tires.

mtbr member
    The axle to crown difference is 537mm for the 34 and 573 for the 160 38. The 150 38 is 563. I appreciate your words because this is something I'm going back and forth on in my head over and over. I really want to go with the latest and greatest in the 38, but I wonder if the 150 lower end of travel will be too much.

Also, worldwide Cyclery screwed me on the purchase and even though I called becore ordering to verify the stock that showed online, they say they oversold and don't have anything in stock after I placed the order.

So I have more time to think about it now.
    Probably a blessing in disguise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Probably a blessing in disguise.
    I have to agree. Honestly, a Fox 36 at 140mm would likely be plenty of fork for you. I personally have never been very happy when I changed a bike much outside of its stock geometry. Iím sure lots of folks would disagree, but thatís my experience. I would also ask if you need the full Factory level fork. I have been really happy with my Performance Fox 36 that has the GRIP damper. Iíve never been great at setting up suspension forks, so having a fork that works well when you get the air pressure and the rebound in the general vicinity of correct is a win in my book. Of course, it all comes down to what you are looking for and the type of riding you do. If you are hitting bigger drops then the 38 probably makes more sense for you. Only you would know.

Work gets in the way
    well I went ahead and cancelled the order. The 44mm offset was gonna raise the geometry, and then the minimum travel of 150mm, after I spent $80 to get a travel changing air shaft, I just got to thinking the bike might be radically different. I have nothing to gage a change like that, experience-wise. I guess I'll stick with a 51mm offset 130 or 140 Fox 36.

Well I did get the 29x2.6's on and a few rides on them. They don't disappoint. I also have a Raceface Turbine front wheel coming to match the rear I've had for several years.

Work gets in the way
    Ordered a fox 36 w/51mm &140mm travel at a discount for a 2020 model. Ultimately I should have very little geometry change due to only 14 mm of crown to axle difference.

Work gets in the way
    The lack of damping for the 2021 models ultimately caused me to purchase a 2020 model. I really like the 2021 arch and the wheel variance compensation system on the 2021 tho.

I'm gonna shim my axle for my specific wheel tho and get that benefit out of my 2020.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The lack of damping for the 2021 models ultimately caused me to purchase a 2020 model. I really like the 2021 arch and the wheel variance compensation system on the 2021 tho.

I'm gonna shim my axle for my specific wheel tho and get that benefit out of my 2020.
    I think you'll love the Fox 36 - be curious to hear your thoughts once you've used it. Since I haven't been paying much attention to the 2021 line I'll bite - what do you mean by the 'lack of damping' on the 2021 models?

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I think you'll love the Fox 36 - be curious to hear your thoughts once you've used it. Since I haven't been paying much attention to the 2021 line I'll bite - what do you mean by the 'lack of damping' on the 2021 models?
    The lack of damping adjustment is what I really meant. Check out the shock dyno on Vorsprung's youtube video. There is very little adjustment and his conclusion is that the specification for the valve is not good. The system isn't at fault, the valve choice is deficient.

https://youtu.be/lS-VzI2JbrI

It's at the 18 minute mark if you wanna skip ahead.
    Last edited by @[email protected]; 06-10-2020 at 12:10 PM.

bike tester
    From the look of the air shaft in that video seems like it is a design that allows for reducing travel by adding spacers in the negative air chamber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    While you've already ordered a 36, you might want to take a look at the Manitou Mezzer. It's as stiff as the 38, weighs the same as the 36, travel is adjustable down to 140 mm via included travel spacers (no need to swap air shafts), and the IRT system and hydraulic bottom-out circuit would probably be very beneficial for a guy your size.

It's been very well reviewed since its release last year.
    https://hayesbicycle.com/products/me...32139567759405
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Manitou-Mezzer-Pro-29-Fork

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    While you've already ordered a 36, you might want to take a look at the Manitou Mezzer. It's as stiff as the 38, weighs the same as the 36, travel is adjustable down to 140 mm via included travel spacers (no need to swap air shafts), and the IRT system and hydraulic bottom-out circuit would probably be very beneficial for a guy your size.

It's been very well reviewed since its release last year.
    https://hayesbicycle.com/products/me...32139567759405
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Manitou-Mezzer-Pro-29-Fork
    Very nice looking. I wonder how that reversed arch would fare on a Fuel Ex bike that uses the low downtube and the knock block. Fox is pushing out their arch to avoid interference, it seems like the reverse arch is a bad idea. It looks really good though.

My first set of shock forks were Manitou on my 98-ish Trek 6000. They've come a long way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I doubt the reverse arch would hit the frame. The top of the arch is way lower than a standard arch. Looking at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gR0ClsDgck) video on the knock block I think the tire would hit the frame before the arch would. If you contact Manitou they could probably confirm it for you.

They claim the reverse arch gives equivalent stiffness with less weight. I used to own a Mattoc and now own a Mezzer and I've grown to really like it. In the wet the arch acts like shield instead of a collector and way less mud builds up on top of the seals.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    So "bike tester". What do you think? Is that going to be awkward at 130r & 160f travel? Will the slackening of the geometry be lame? Or will it be inconsequential?
    I think it will make it wonky. The AC of the 38 is greater. But, I put a SuperMax on a 1st gen 429 and it rode great. 150 should be fine.

I will qualify myself in that I have been as high as 270lb, now 230, need to be at 215. For me having a stiff front when going down techy chunky trails makes a huge difference. But if youíre on Rekons, then I assume youíre not riding technical trails.

Iím getting the 38 in hopes that it will give more confidence on the steeps. If the added stiffness isnít of benefit or if Iím too much of punk, then Iíll sell it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro