Suntour raidon xc vs epixon 9 vs rockshocks recon rl a2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Suntour raidon xc vs epixon 9 vs rockshocks recon rl a2

Looking for a new fork for my 2015 trek Marlin 7 straight tube w/ 9mm qr dropouts
    Is there really any difference between the internals on the raidon ($300)and epixon ($380)or is the difference just the weight savings and different mental alloy then whichever one is better there for suntours, what is it compared to the recon or is there another rockshocks fork that will work with my setup. Would be using the upgrade program if getting a suntour fork so take 100 off those prices.

WillWorkForTrail
    Iím working from memory here, so double check this - but I think the difference in the Suntour forks you have listed is the epixon has larger stanchion diameter, meaning it will have more stiffness to keep the front wheel on track. Iíd go ahead and go the Suntour route, their suspension is typically underrated in the US market. If you start to compare it to the top end Fox or RS suspension it starts to lack in the damping department, but compared to stuff thatís going to have a straight steer, the Suntour suspension is probably better.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yeah that's what I've read about suntour being underrated and that's what I was more leaning towards.

As far as the differences I emailed suntour on if there's a difference on the internals for there valving/build/quality or is it the difference in the epixon is lighter from a different metal alloy they use. I'll update this as soon as I get that email back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    maybe check out the manitou markhor too. Decent fork in a similar price range.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    So this was the response, "The Epixon fork share many of the same internals as the Raidon. The chassis parts is where the majority of differences are as the Epixon uses higher strength aluminum for a lighter and stiffer chassis."

But I've decided to wait a couple months and just go with the Rockshox Judy gold RL and that should be a solid upgrade and last quite some type for my riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Of the listed option on this thread the Manitou Markhor is 30mm with Quik Toggle compression damping. I'd pass.
    To get the ABS+ metal shim stack damper you have to go to the Machete Pro. $675 list. 20 off if you negotiate at Jenson.

Other choices-
    Next in quality the Suntours then the Recon with the Judy the lowest grade with 30mm stanchion tubes.

On a budget I'd go Suntour off ebay. Or a takeoff Fox 34 off Pinkbike Buy/Sell. With an external lower headset bearing if possible.