Sun Ringle - Charger Comp vs Charger Expert Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

New question here. Sun Ringle - Charger Comp vs Charger Expert Wheelset

Thoughts on whether the extra money is worth it for the experts over the comp versions.

Straight pull spokes vs J bend, and slightly less weight for the experts, not sure about the bearings.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Pros get straight pull spokes. Experts nor Comps do not. I believe bearings are the same for Expert and Comps. And the only real benefit of the Experts now is the convertible rear hub. The Comps are only QR. I've been running the 2011 Experts (now labeled as Comps) for 3 years now and still love them, especially if you can find them under $300.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Wait for the Comps to go on sale at Nashbar for $200. Totally worth it. Comes with sealant, tape, skewers, valves and all the end caps for qr, 15mm ta, 20mm. (front only). Sweet deal. If you don't care too much about the extra weight, go with the Comps, especially in the $200 price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Sun Ringle - Charger Comp vs Charger Expert Wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Wait for the Comps to go on sale at Nashbar for $200. Totally worth it. Comes with sealant, tape, skewers, valves and all the end caps for qr, 15mm ta, 20mm. (front only). Sweet deal. If you don't care too much about the extra weight, go with the Comps, especially in the $200 price range.
    I got this deal and this is a great set for the money. Tire setup took five minutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    seems the only difference is as follows,
    Expert has Straight Pull so should be a stiffer wheel, spokes harder to come by though
    Save some weight with the Experts but not significant
    Neither set has a convertible rear hub, QR only

yeah the nashbar deal is great, watch no more 20% off now that the season is here

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

They'll be on sale again in like 30 minutes ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Pros get straight pull spokes. Experts nor Comps do not. I believe bearings are the same for Expert and Comps. And the only real benefit of the Experts now is the convertible rear hub. The Comps are only QR. I've been running the 2011 Experts (now labeled as Comps) for 3 years now and still love them, especially if you can find them under $300.
    Expert has been strait pull spokes since 2012, also has an alloy freehub body for a small amount of reduced weight.

Bike Wagon has the experts (OEM so no valves or extra end caps) with 15mm front axle and 135mm rear for $275

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Forgot to mention tubeless setup with non-tlr tires was a cinch. Wheelset also weighed in at 2050 grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    went with the comps, only question is the hubs seem loud, is that normal for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryK View Post
    went with the comps, only question is the hubs seem loud, is that normal for them.
    Compared to Shimano hubs...yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Compared to Shimano hubs...yes
    But not bad compared to Hope's.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Also, can't you grease the Paul's to quiet them down? Or am I thinking of a different set?

Rogue Exterminator
    Got the Sunringle Charger Comps on my SS and and yep the hubs make a loud ratcheting sound. Setting up for tubeless was simple. First time doing it and had no problems.
    They do use Stans hoops.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Also, can't you grease the Paul's to quiet them down? Or am I thinking of a different set?

I might give that a shot, anyone done that with any success.

mtbr member

Re: Sun Ringle - Charger Comp vs Charger Expert Wheelset

I have posted on this before. They are really loud, especially on a carbon frame.
    I have had 100% success with taking off the freehub, cleaning it and putting a pea sized glob of "Lucas Red and Tacky" grease on and under each pawl.

My bike is so quiet I surprised baby turkeys the other day. I also see many more deer, coyotes, foxes and whatever.

I am now well over 2000 miles, no problems.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thanks, SB. Cool photo.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I have posted on this before. They are really loud, especially on a carbon frame.
    I have had 100% success with taking off the freehub, cleaning it and putting a pea sized glob of "Lucas Red and Tacky" grease on and under each pawl.
    Very much interested in doing this to my new experts I just installed on a carbon hardtail.

I know you say "Lucas Red and Tacky", but do you think most any quality general bike grease would work?

Also, just to make sure i know exactly what I'm doing.. On the rear wheel, I'm removing the adapter, and then removing the silver thing (not sure what it's called) and that's when the inner hub slides out and you can see three little prongs/pawls which obviously make the clicking noise and then put a peas sized dab of grease just below each one?

Sorry if I'm being redundant, just trying not to get right the first time for once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My Charger Expert freehub died after 900km. The ring type spring that pushes the pawls out broke so the pawls cannot engage. Luckily I was just a half an hour walk from home. It is a very bad design and even if it will be replaced under warranty I won't be able to trust in it 100%. I would need to take a spare spring and the tools for removing the cassette and freehub to my rides to be able to replace it if it happens again which is no way.
    All the other freehubs I saw had separate springs under each pawl that make it impossible to break down as this one.

Sun Ringle - Charger Comp vs Charger Expert Wheelset-img_0552.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

That failure is reason to stick with the cheap comps. Anymore than $400 and you might as well buy Hopes from the UK.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The Experts came with my Canyon Strive but now I'm running on Hope/Arch EX that I bought as an upgrade for my other bike. They are rock solid from day one and I'll use them as primary wheel set for the Strive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdark1 View Post
    Very much interested in doing this to my new experts I just installed on a carbon hardtail.

I know you say "Lucas Red and Tacky", but do you think most any quality general bike grease would work?

Also, just to make sure i know exactly what I'm doing.. On the rear wheel, I'm removing the adapter, and then removing the silver thing (not sure what it's called) and that's when the inner hub slides out and you can see three little prongs/pawls which obviously make the clicking noise and then put a peas sized dab of grease just below each one?

Sorry if I'm being redundant, just trying not to get right the first time for once.
    has anyone used anything other than The Lucas? I have some of the Park Green lube laying around. can that be used on these pawls?

Thanks

DFMBA.org

has anyone used anything other than The Lucas? I have some of the Park Green lube laying around. can that be used on these pawls?

Thanks
    You should be okay. I put some Phil Wood (green) grease on my Spec OEM rear hub pawls recently and I'm glad I did. They were dry and loud; now they're not. Just me but I like my bike to be quiet.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    That failure is reason to stick with the cheap comps. Anymore than $400 and you might as well buy Hopes from the UK.
    this

you can get butted stans hope combos for a hair under 600 or straight spokes for a little over 5

if you want to spend 380-400 the only wheelset i would roll that you can buy right now is the shimano xt 785 ust set. 1820g and you won't have to worry about the bearings or freehub failing like so many other wheels at this price point. also solid rims so no tubeless rimtape required. also straight pull and butted

if you can get the comps at 200 that's a thought, also mavic tn719 with older xt 6 bolt hubs being sold at that price online. the tn719 was a strong ass rim and again, reliable shimano hubs,

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looking to buy new set of wheels and want to buy sun Ringle. I'm a little confused. Which ones should I get for more XC/rolling type riding with 20 mm thru axle in the front? I found some on price point but they are 499 :-(.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogo43 View Post
    Looking to buy new set of wheels and want to buy sun Ringle. I'm a little confused. Which ones should I get for more XC/rolling type riding with 20 mm thru axle in the front? I found some on price point but they are 499 :-(.

Thoughts?
    I would go with Hope/Stan's ZTR Crest wheel set instead of the SR. I have both and the SR Charger Experts are nothing but trouble. Starting from broken spring in the freehub to broken spoke nipples (~500km). The Hope wheel set on the other hand is faultless after 4000km.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 950sm07 View Post
    I would go with Hope/Stan's ZTR Crest wheel set instead of the SR. I have both and the SR Charger Experts are nothing but trouble. Starting from broken spring in the freehub to broken spoke nipples (~500km). The Hope wheel set on the other hand is faultless after 4000km.
    Yea Im not looking to spend 600 dollars. That's above my price range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogo43 View Post
    Yea Im not looking to spend 600 dollars. That's above my price range.
    I didn't know the US prices, in Europe they cost the same.