Stick with Maxxis Forekaster EXO 29x2.35?- Mtbr.com
    BigSki
    Jan 2014

Stick with Maxxis Forekaster EXO 29x2.35?

Moving the front stock Maxxis Minion DHR II EXO 29x2.30 to the rear (which replaces the rear stock Maxxis Forecaster EXO 29X2.35) and looking for feedback RE: a new front tire--stick with the Forecaster v. Minion v. something else? My riding is pretty much XC-ish with some All Mountain splattered in. I like the tread pattern of the the Minion as I'm getting a little more aggressive in the turns.

Much thanks ALWAYS!

mtbr member
    It would be hard to come up with a more useless combo than a DHR II rear and Forecaster front....unless you just like having the front end wash out first. And there are few tires less optimized for XC riding on the rear than a DHR II.

mtbr member
    The DHR2 up front with the Forekaster out back would make a great nearly all-weather setup. I'd never run it the opposite. If you're running a DHR2 out back you need a monster tire up front (at least another DHR2).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say buy something more XCish faster rolling for rear than give you options

Hard Pack, or even loose over faster riding where low rolling resistance is the priority - Forekaster front something like Ikon or XR2 rear (What I would definitely do if concentration was XC and racing)

Pure Trail riding lots of rocks, roots, wet DHR2 front nad move the Forekaster to the rear or just use this full time and dont worry about the increase in rolling resistance and weight (Probably what I would do for kind of shape I am in and rides I have time to go on right now)
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another Thought based on you asking this and rereading your posts stick what you have sounds like you are a new rider still learning, Just ride as much as you can work on the cornering you mention and if you have the upgrade or tweak the bike bad focus on bike potion first. Never tweak more than a small amount and give the tweak time before you tweak anything else.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My new bike came with Ardent 2.4 front and Forcaster 2.3 rear. Going to move the Forcaster to the front and change the rear to something faster. For my use, the Ardent feels like a motorcycle tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My aggressive XC set up on my hard tail is DHR2 2.3 front and forecaster rear.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I agree that the stock tire setup on that bike sounds like it should suit your riding perfectly. Reversing the tires would be a step in the wrong direction.

You should stick with the tire setup and work on skills and technique.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Did you wear out your rear tire, or are you looking to achieve a different handling dynamic? Generally, if running a different front and rear tire, most folks run a tire with better grip in the front and a faster/better rolling tire in the rear. This achieves a more balanced/predictable/safer traction level - you want the rear to loose traction first.

If you are simply replacing the rear because it is time, best bet is to either match the front or find something with smaller knobs/narrower than the front. Or you could slide the front to the rear, and look for something even grippier for a new front tire, if you are looking for more grip overall.

If you want a different handling dynamic, small changes in tread pattern/rubber compound can make huge changes in overall traction behavior. It is worth a read up in the wheel/tire section for general tire characteristics, and you might be able to find some good info in your regional section about which tires work well in your area/conditions.

Also keep in mind that riding style has a big impact on tire performance, as does setup - tubes vs tubeless, pressure, rim width, etc.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    DHF front DHR2 rear. Not ideal for XC but if you like cornering and traction...

Honestly, I agree with most above. Stick with the setup (because it's actually quite good) and work on riding a bit.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Thanks MTBR support group--As always, the advice and perspectives are really helpful. I especially appreciate your attention to detail in the "tweak in small increments" dept. In fact, (before I read the thread) I was out on a training ride tonight thinking..."Hmmm, do I even NEED to change the spec on my awesome '18 Rocky Mtn. Instinct?!" Consequently, I'll probably replace the rear Forekaster (within a month or so due to wear) with the same. Front is in good shape for now. I've still got to acclimate myself to the Ride-9 system so I'll continue tweaking one rotation at a time!

Hi-5 to all

Don't Tread on Me
    As a general rule, avoid running a front tire that will break loose before the rear will.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
    Thanks MTBR support group--As always, the advice and perspectives are really helpful. I especially appreciate your attention to detail in the "tweak in small increments" dept. In fact, (before I read the thread) I was out on a training ride tonight thinking..."Hmmm, do I even NEED to change the spec on my awesome '18 Rocky Mtn. Instinct?!" Consequently, I'll probably replace the rear Forekaster (within a month or so due to wear) with the same. Front is in good shape for now. I've still got to acclimate myself to the Ride-9 system so I'll continue tweaking one rotation at a time!

Hi-5 to all
    If you just want more rear traction then you could replace the Forekaster with a 2.3 Aggressor. It should have more traction up until it's muddy (aggressor packs up easily). The trade off will be more weight and rolling resistance.

banned
    Jul 2015
    2.35 Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear or NN on both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    If you just want more rear traction then you could replace the Forekaster with a 2.3 Aggressor. It should have more traction up until it's muddy (aggressor packs up easily). The trade off will be more weight and rolling resistance.
    This is what a friend runs on the same bike and he likes it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was not impressed with the Forecaster on the front or rear on AZ trails. Not enough grip on small rocks and totally unpredictable about when it would break loose when leaning in to corners.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.