Stans Arch or WTB KOM i29?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Stans Arch or WTB KOM i29?

Iíve been looking to upgrade the wheelset on my 140mm YT Jeffsy 29er. The stock wheels are 22.5 iw so Iím looking for something a bit wider and hopefully lighter for the longer rides (maybe 4-8hrs). The rear is boost but the fork is non-boost, which limits my options to custom wheelsets or separate front and rear. I can get a fair price either the Archs or the KOMs with comparable hubs and I was wondering which way to go. The Archs are 26mm iw and the KOMs 29. Iím planning on using a 2.35Ē tire in the rear and 2.4Ē-2.6Ē in the front.

I know the Jeffsy is meant to be ridden hard, but I donít ride enduro or bike parks. I like to think my riding style is aggressive, but in reality the DT Swiss wheels I have and the Mavic Crossrides on my hardtail are dent free and running true for a couple of years so I guess Iím not very hard on the wheels. I would still have the older wheelset if I ever want to visit a bike park or something.

I have read some opinions of the KOMs being soft, but does anyone know if the Archs are tougher? I could also get the Stans Flow, but then I wouldnít be getting much weight benefits which is why Iím looking at the Archs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Neither would be my choice. If you want wide, light & strong consider carbon. Any descent IW30 alloy is going to exceed 500g.

This place needs an enema
    Not much difference in durability -- not of the built wheel, and not of the rims in terms of resistance to denting.

The biggest difference is that the Arch tubeless interface is much easier to use -- WTB's require more fiddling to set up.

Arch width seems to suit your rear tire sizing, i29 seems to suit your front if you opt for 2.6".

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Not much difference in durability -- not of the built wheel, and not of the rims in terms of resistance to denting.

The biggest difference is that the Arch tubeless interface is much easier to use -- WTB's require more fiddling to set up.

Arch width seems to suit your rear tire sizing, i29 seems to suit your front if you opt for 2.6".
    Interesting.

These forums are ripe with posts putting down Stan's rims. I was an early tubeless adopter and used Stan's from early on. They always made the setting up even non-tubeless tires very easy. I've stuck with them through the years with little problems - at least compared to other brands.

Recently I've been considering WTB rims but thought their bead interface may cause issues with setup with tires beyond their own WTB brand.

Have you found any benefit in terms of durability or performance by using WTB's asymetric design?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Have you found any benefit in terms of durability or performance by using WTB's asymetric design?

In theory, absolutely.

In practice, only the guys in the 300 - 350# really notice. Or the 145# riders that refuse to learn to ride light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I noticed this too. Then again now Iím running 2.4Ē Onza Ibex tires on the 22.5 iw rims without complaints. Maybe I just donít know of any better

I was planning on running 2.6Ē Maxxis Rekon front and 2.35Ē Ikon rear. I could do with a (true) 2.4Ē in the front too, but in terms of weight/grip/rolling resistance the Rekon seems to be the best choice in Maxxis lineup. Maybe the 2.35Ē Ardent Race would be another option. 2.4Ē Ardent is quite heavy, as there is no 3C compound option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Probably not much help. My SS has Stans Rims and my FS has WTB asym i29. I run Maxxis tires on both and both are very easy to mount tubeless tires if the proper width of rim tape is used. I have found that what tires you use make a huge difference as some seem to be a bit larger than others. Schwalbe in particular seemed to be a bit loose while continentals were on the tight side. Maxxis seem to fall between the two and hold air really well. I can go weeks w/o having to add air. Of course YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Another good rim to consider is Duroc 30 IMO. Ever so slightly wider than the Arch and only 18g heavier. The Arch does sound like it meets your needs though. It would be hard for me to shell out for a new wheelset that is only 3.5 mm wider, but to each his own. Seriously pull out a tape measure and look at how small 3.5mm is (or 1/8 inch). The weight difference from Arch to Flow amounts to a total of 94 grams, or 0.2 pounds. I just don't believe there are too many people that could perceive that difference.

Below is a great custom wheelset builder, with coupons for 25% off. I run the same size tires you are looking at and went with Duroc35 (i32) front, FlowMK3 rear. Just send a message if you want different front/rear rims. A Duroc set on DT Swiss 350 hubs with their 25% off coupon comes to $412 shipped if you don't upgrade spokes (taped with valves). If you run XT front hub (since it doesn't matter as much as rear) - that comes down to $337.50.

29er MTB Custom

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately Iím in Europe so US builders are not really an option with my budget.

I know the 3.5mm I would get with the Archs are not much, but the wheelset would also be 100-200g lighter (Iím not quite sure what the older DT Swiss M1900 weigh). And the difference between Arch and Flow is actually bigger, 453g vs 527g, so 148g. Not a huge difference, but still. Basically I can choose between a bit lighter and a bit wider or noticeably wider but not much lighter wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I destroyed my DT M1700 rims and replaced with Arch rims. Iíve ridden as hard or harder and have had zero problems. There have been plenty of cringeworthy hits but so far so good. Iím 170# and riding a HT on rough XC with an abundance of chunky rocks. Iím running 2.20/2.25 Rocket Ronís and the id isnít much more than the M1700ís but for the tires Iím running, 26 is an improvement and ideal. 3.5mm nothing on a tape measure but is significant enough for me considering the change in footprint for the tires Iím running and is definitely noticeable. I was forced into the upgrade but Iím way better off with them. Well worth it for me.