Stanchion size when changing fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Stanchion size when changing fork

i have read larger fork stanchions will produce more stiffness. And that axle to crown measurement is the most important consideration. But does moving from 28mm to 30 or 32mm stancions have any other affect on tension on the frame? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stanchion stiffness from diameter and material comes into play the harder you corner and faster you ride. Wheel rim width and construction stiffness contribute and axle/thru-bolt also. Because this is a very direct control performance sport the more precision you have the better. But you may be willing to give some up for the benefits of damping for the suspension component.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    +1. Bigger is generally better but like all things its about compromise. How much weight are you willing to carry for how much stiffness. If you demo some different forks you will yet an idea how important this is to you.

mtbr member

Stanchion size when changing fork

Also take into consideration that an aluminum stanchion will be much lighter than steel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for all replies. Crux of issue is this: will moving from 28 to 32mm stanchions put additional stress on frame? I am a beginner with a cheap bike. The headtube is not robust. My intuition made me think the 28mm stanchion fork i have now flexes much more than a larger stancion. This flexing might be absorbing some of the energy. Or i could be a guy who thinks too much w/o a sufficient knowledge base

RAKC
    honestly, stanchion size isnt going to matter for the frame. Head tube is going to be stronger than you think. Making sure not to increase axle-crown too much is the most important part. Just dont ride more than the frame can handle. New rider on entry level bike doesnt NOT = jumps and drops more than a few inches and so on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went from a Revelation (32mm) to a Pike (35mm) and it was a huge increase in stiffness. The axle went from 20mm to 15mm in the same move so if that makes a difference I couldn't tell if my life depended on it. I'm 240lbs and it's a 140mm fork so 32mm was probably puny for the length and my size to begin with.