Specialized Rockhopper Comp - Replacement Wheels & Fork Options??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Specialized Rockhopper Comp - Replacement Wheels & Fork Options??

I recently bought a Spec R.C. (current model black/lime 29er). This is a second/backup MTB bike generally used for trail/rough rocky trail. I noticed right off that there was significant bearing grind in both hubs (Shimano HB-TX505 fr and FH-TX505 rear). I've had dozens of bikes throughout lifetime never saw/heard it that bad in a new bike?! Dealer (Bikeway/Wappingers, NY) said nothing was wrong...maybe needed a little grease?! Second mechanic said they were little tight...and adjusted. Still noisy/grinding. Basically all said these are "okay"?! At any rate. I am looking to buy a another set of wheels (non-carbon) to replace these soon. They are 29er QRs 9x100/28h fr and 9x135/32h back. Center lock disc Shimano. As this is a second bike I'm not looking to break the bank here in the replacement - just want to find something dependable and already built up maybe lighter that will retrofit easily. 3-$500 range maybe. Looking for some advice from some that maybe have done similar or have recommendations. I'm road rider primarily and not familiar with some of the mtb brands like Stans etc. etc.

Fork. The OEM SR Suntour XCM 29 is pretty lousy and would like to upgrade this to a Rockshox/air or similar. Again, nothing that will break the bank. The frame is Medium size - and think the travel is 90mm? If someone has done a retrofit recently and has suggestions they would be appreciated. I saw post from some time ago - and the user replaced with something no longer available.

Any help or recommendations appreciated.
    Last edited by bbol; 08-14-2019 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Since you don't want to spend much, and this is your second bike, my suggestion is to wait for someone local upgrade wheels and buy used. Around Houston where I live, these can be had for about $150 the pair, almost new.

About grinding, make sure the brake calipers are adjusted. Maybe not the case, but worth to check.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Especially with the shock, I'd just buy a different bike, there's some nice aluminum 29er hardtails around for cheap, with Fox or Rockshox and decent wheels.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yea, that was one of the first thoughts, but getting an "immediate replacement" not feasible right now. Going to to try repack bearings and see how that goes...and just live with the front shock....I knew that wasn't going to be that great anyway.