Seatpost / Stem Changes for fit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Seatpost / Stem Changes for fit

Just ordered a non-setback dropper post for my 2018 Scott Scale hardtail. Original post had a 20mm setback. Bike is a medium and has a stock 70mm stem. I'm right between medium and large sizing at 5'9.5". With the new dropper having zero setback, I'm worried I will be too cramped considering the fit already felt a tad short. Keep in mind, I had the saddle slid almost all the way back on the original post, so doing that with the new one will still put me 20mm further forward. Would throwing a 90mm stem on there to compensate for losing the setback throw the handling off a lot? This is the first hardtail I've owned in 20 years, so still trying to figure out riding style on it compared to my 160mm enduro bike and don't want to make things harder for myself.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You don't typically don't want to compensate saddle setback with stem length. Saddle position and hand position are two separate adjustments. First is the saddle or pedal position...then you set your hand position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    You don't typically don't want to compensate saddle setback with stem length. Saddle position and hand position are two separate adjustments. First is the saddle or pedal position...then you set your hand position.
    Good point. I'll try it with the existing stem first and see if it feels short, then go from there. Thanks!
    Last edited by jbadger1977; 05-21-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Addition

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I don't mess with my position relative to the BB. It will dramatically change the balance between your use of quadriceps verses glutes & hamstrings. It can lead to muscle/tendon overuse injuries. You're body might be resilient and adaptable though.

I'd return the non-setback dropper, and buy a setback dropper. 9.8 and KS sell them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, PuddleDuck. Good info to know. Maybe after doing this for 30 years, it's finally time to get a professional bike fit. Found this article that had some really good info to piggyback on what you stated above:
    https://neillsbikefit.com.au/?page_id=364

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    Thanks for the info, PuddleDuck. Good info to know. Maybe after doing this for 30 years, it's finally time to get a professional bike fit. Found this article that had some really good info to piggyback on what you stated above:
    https://neillsbikefit.com.au/?page_id=364
    The fitter Steve Hogg that the article linked to is renowned Australia-wide, People fly-in from all over for his services. He's even referred to around the world in discussions regarding fitting.

Let us know how you get on

Hitching a ride
    There are a few setback dropper options - 9point8, Specialized, KS. Just get one of those.