Santa Cruz Reserve I9 sound- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Santa Cruz Reserve I9 sound

I heard a rumor that the Santa Cruise Carbon reserve rim with Industry nine hub is actually significantly quieter than a standard industry nine hub? Is there any truth to this? I used to have and industry nine hub on a different wheel, and the loud buzzing got kind of old fast. Not great on social rides but good at letting people know youíre coming up behind them. I would much rather have the social aspect without a buzzing in my ear But I loved the engagement they provided. Especially with techy climbing in Moab which Iím down there regularly. I have DT 240 hubs and zero complaints and theyíre quiet but I am kind of missing the engagement!

aka bOb
    They are probably building with the new i9 Hydras which are a little quieter than the older Torch model and a lot quieter if you use the right grease which they are probably using.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just received a set of Trail S wheels and the new Hydra hub and it is "way" quieter than the previous Torch hub. I have both for comparison sake.

Most likely why the new Reserve is quieter.

since 4/10/2009
    The Hydras are definitely quieter, but I've read that even before the Hydras, SC was lubing them differently to quiet them down.

I9 says they put Dumonde Tech Pro X freehub grease under every OTHER pawl. Put a dab under every pawl and they will be a little quieter.

I also have both Hydras and Torches. The Hydras are new enough, that SC wouldn't have a boatload of wheelsets out in the world with them by now. Quite a few Torches, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Anyone know when SC started shipping their reserves with the new Hydra hub?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My i9 carbon enduro 310's are significantly quieter than my buddy's aluminum enduros with the same torch hubs. I think the carbon dulls the sound quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Btjone06 View Post
    My i9 carbon enduro 310's are significantly quieter than my buddy's aluminum enduros with the same torch hubs. I think the carbon dulls the sound quite a bit.
    Carbon would usually make noises louder.

My carbon fiber acoustic guitar has a much crisper and cleaner sound than wood, and every carbon bike and rim I've ridden translates noises through it better than aluminum

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Btjone06 View Post
    Yeah pretty much has to do with how much and what type of grease is in em.

mtbr member
    I (and my wife and son) have a 742, 738 and Trail 270 (29) set on bikes. I also have DT 350's on a couple with 18 and 54 tooth. Regardless of servicing (other than within about 10 miles of riding afterward) my torch hubs aren't any louder than my DT hubs, and neither are bothersome to me. The loudest set are the pawl hubs on my Giant TRX1 (29) hubs, and they're almost brand new.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by Erockowitz View Post
    I heard a rumor that the Santa Cruise Carbon reserve rim with Industry nine hub is actually significantly quieter than a standard industry nine hub? Is there any truth to this? I used to have and industry nine hub on a different wheel, and the loud buzzing got kind of old fast. Not great on social rides but good at letting people know youíre coming up behind them. I would much rather have the social aspect without a buzzing in my ear But I loved the engagement they provided. Especially with techy climbing in Moab which Iím down there regularly. I have DT 240 hubs and zero complaints and theyíre quiet but I am kind of missing the engagement!
    I have the i9 torches on my Reserves I bought last year and yes, they are quieter than any other i9 hub Iíve heard calling out in the wild. SC has them use the dumonde tech grease rather than the oil. They get louder the longer you ride them, but quiet down again after you regrease them with the dumonde tech grease (rather than oil). In theory you could take any i9 hub, use the grease, and they will quiet down. Personally I donít care either way and kind of like the noise as it letís people know Iím coming, but I have continued to use the grease anyway as I feel it likely hangs around a little longer and lengthens the service interval ever so slightly.

Regarding the Hydraís, I heard someone the other day on them and I think they sound awesome. To me they sounded a lot louder with a very different sound altogether (which was cool), but they were on a yeti and were likely oiled up rather than greased, so not a fair comparison to my greased torches.
    18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

since 4/10/2009
    My Hydras are pretty darn quiet (especially compared to the Hopes I have on another bike). I guess I'd say they have a similar volume to some of the Torches I hear on the trails, but notably quieter than some. The tone is definitely different. The tone deadened significantly once I put tired on the wheels, of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My Hydras are pretty darn quiet (especially compared to the Hopes I have on another bike). I guess I'd say they have a similar volume to some of the Torches I hear on the trails, but notably quieter than some. The tone is definitely different. The tone deadened significantly once I put tired on the wheels, of course.
    How noticeable is the shorter engagement Hydra's vs your Torches? Are you liking them overall? (I've been thinking about replacing my Torches with some centerlock Hydras. Using the Torches to convert an old non-boost wheelset to boost.)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    How noticeable is the shorter engagement Hydra's vs your Torches? Are you liking them overall? (I've been thinking about replacing my Torches with some centerlock Hydras. Using the Torches to convert an old non-boost wheelset to boost.)
    It's pretty noticeable. The Torches are on my wife's bike, which is way too small for me, so I don't have any trail time on it. Just short test rides in front of the house after doing work on it.

The Hydras are so quick that for all intents, they're instantaneous. I haven't yet ridden the bike I put them on in terribly slow, technical situations (which is where I notice quick engagement the most), so as for the benefits of such quick engagement, I have yet to experience them. I've really only done xc and gravel type riding on them so far. What I have noticed most with the Hydras, though, is that they roll super nice. They're definitely low drag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It's pretty noticeable. The Torches are on my wife's bike, which is way too small for me, so I don't have any trail time on it. Just short test rides in front of the house after doing work on it.

The Hydras are so quick that for all intents, they're instantaneous. I haven't yet ridden the bike I put them on in terribly slow, technical situations (which is where I notice quick engagement the most), so as for the benefits of such quick engagement, I have yet to experience them. I've really only done xc and gravel type riding on them so far. What I have noticed most with the Hydras, though, is that they roll super nice. They're definitely low drag.
    Interesting, thanks for the feedback!