Safest, Reliable Asian Carbon Hoops?- Mtbr.com
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Safest, Reliable Asian Carbon Hoops?

I had my eye on Nextie... but they don't make a symmetric, carbon 29er hoop in 23-28mm inner width. Any other non-splintering brands come to mind? This is for an older, SEVEN Titanium Singlespeed 29er, running 2.4" tires.

TIA
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Check out Light Bicycle: https://www.lightbicycle.com

mtbr member
    Hard to say definitively, but Light Bicycle and Carbon Fan have good reputations. I built a set with Carbon Fan rims and they've been solid for 3 years so far. I'll probably get rims from them for the next set I build.
    What, me worry?

aka bOb
    Check out the Nextie store on Ebay I got my last set of 30i 29 symmetric really reasonable on there. Not sure if they still have anything or not??

https://www.ebay.com/usr/nextie2013?...p2047675.l2559

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Most all of these hoops are coming from China, my ebay rims have been great and no issue, when I wanted to change to an XD hub body from an HG, they were even available. Companies like Nextie light and carbonfan are great, they just cherry pick and order from the same factories many other vendors use. They have a little better vendor support then ebay or alixpress. ordering from aliexpress you are often going straight to the factory instead of paying a middleman. saved me a lot going directly to ztto then paying a middle man. If you do this research is required. Its why people use nextie, its just easy with good support.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    I had my eye on Nextie... but they don't make a symmetric, carbon 29er hoop in 23-28mm inner width. Any other non-splintering brands come to mind? This is for an older, SEVEN Titanium Singlespeed 29er, running 2.4" tires.

TIA
    Sure they do! I have a set of these...can even show you the receipt!

https://www.nextie.com/premium-mount...inch-NXT29XM33

Thanks, gentlemen... you all rock!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Rocks belong
    I've had great luck with Nextie's. I currently have 4 of them in my bike fleet.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Wanna ride bikes?
    Light Bicycle and Nextie are pretty similar as far as quality IMO. LB has a brick and mortar presence in Canada.

I own two Carbon Fan rims, I've rebuilt them into new hubs for new bikes. 3 years of pounding and going strong. (they're XC ish rims but not full weight weenie. I'm 210lbs)

My next carbon rim purchase will likely be LB or Nextie. But frankly I'm quite happy with the price, weight, quality, and durability of aluminum rims lately. It's going to be hard to justify the tradeoffs for carbon.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    But frankly I'm quite happy with the price, weight, quality, and durability of aluminum rims lately. It's going to be hard to justify the tradeoffs for carbon.
    But... but.. #carbonz!

I've settled on a (slightly wider) carbon front rim and alloy rear. Seems to hold up well for me.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I'm about to order up a pair of DH weight 29 rims with 29 IW to mullet two 27.5 bikes.
    I've been building them up with Sapim polyax nipples and washers to great results.

Hitching a ride

aka bOb
    I do have a 30i 29 symmetric Nextie rim (430g if I remember right) if anyone is looking for a single rim for a mullet build for cheap. I used it for about 2 weeks before I destroyed the rear one (my fault) and went a different direction.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post

TIA

You pay your money and you take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I do have a 30i 29 symmetric Nextie rim (430g if I remember right) if anyone is looking for a single rim for a mullet build for cheap. I used it for about 2 weeks before I destroyed the rear one (my fault) and went a different direction.
    PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It may also depend on who builds your wheels.
    I had some guy from CO build me a few sets of Nexties about 5 years ago that have taken a beating and still roll true.
    I wish I could remember the guy's name. LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    So Mike, I kinda know what you'll say, but, if you had the choice between building with a high quality aluminum rim and a no name carbon rim, which would you choose?

At the same time, what if any is the weight savings between this no name carbon rim and a high quality aluminum rim?
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So Mike, I kinda know what you'll say, but, if you had the choice between building with a high quality aluminum rim and a no name carbon rim, which would you choose?

At the same time, what if any is the weight savings between this no name carbon rim and a high quality aluminum rim?

The answer to both questions is "It depends".

And the variables are rider height, weight, riding style, bike, trail type, expectations, experience, and 73 other things.

mtbr member
    Personally, I would not use no-name rims. Light Bicycle and Carbon Fan manufacture their rims, and in my experience have very good customer service. There may be other similar companies but those are two I know.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Not quite a year ago, I ordered a wheelset from EIE carbon. Here's a copy from an email I recieved from Pretty, their sales manager:

"The rim you chose A29C29D25 suits for AM and DH riding.So if you do ride moderate to technical trails, and do 3-4 foot drops,it is no problem .Below is price for your reference:
    You need Complete Wheelset
    Rim Size 29er
    Rim Performance All Mountain
    Rims A29C29D25 35mm outer wide
    Finish Matte
    Weave UD
    Decal None
    Hubs DT Swiss 240s
    Front Axle 15*110mm boost
    Rear Axle 12*148mm boost
    Hub Color Black
    Spoke Count 32/32 Hole
    Freehub Body Shimano MTB 10/11S
    Brake system Center lock
    Spokes black, Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 (bladed)
    Nipples Black Brass"

I paid $942 shipped to my door. The wheels have been amazing in every way. They look great, track straighter (I didn't realized I wasn't tracking well before that), are lighter than my previous wheelset, aired up tubeless with a floor pump, and hold air much better. They've exceeded my expectations. I tend to be a trail rider with ups and downs, but I do drops and jumps occasionally. I honestly think I'm faster, but that may just be the carbon getting to my brain. One photo is from EIE before they shipped. The others are at Slaughter Pen in Bentonville, AR. I think other brand have established credibility for sure, but my experience with EIE was quite good. Thanks.

Safest, Reliable Asian Carbon Hoops?-scale.jpg
    Safest, Reliable Asian Carbon Hoops?-bike.jpg
    Safest, Reliable Asian Carbon Hoops?-rear-wheel.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My vote goes to Carbon Fan. I had a great all around experience with them. Fast, great communication, product is sick, etc... but also they make it easy to choose different layups, widths, and spoke count from front to rear which allowed me to build exactly the wheels that I wanted to build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Id put EIE up there with LB and Carbonfan. Same positive experiences as the poster above and I got a better price for the wheelset including DT240 hubs from EIE.

mtbr member
    I had Nox on I9's with cx-ray's delivered for $1100 from a stateside builder. One thing I realized after looking into LB and others is there wasn't much if any savings for a comparable built wheelset. I don't think I could of bought all the parts for $1100. I think I paid similarly for Nobl's delivered but worked out a deal for to those.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    BTLOS would be my pick. I have bought from numerous factories and resellers, including Nextie. Matter of fact I purchased a 29er 36mm external 29mm internal rim, which were modeled after ENVE rims, from both Nextie and BTLOS, and they were IDENTICAL, except they were notably cheaper from BTLOS.

LB - I don't give them a lot of credit because I have seen some horribly build wheels come from them, and they don't provide much in way of service to cover their screw-ups.
    • 2020 Transition Spur
    • 2019 Transition Patrol
    • 2018 Chromag Stylus

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    BTLOS would be my pick. I have bought from numerous factories and resellers, including Nextie. Matter of fact I purchased a 29er 36mm external 29mm internal rim, which were modeled after ENVE rims, from both Nextie and BTLOS, and they were IDENTICAL, except they were notably cheaper from BTLOS.

LB - I don't give them a lot of credit because I have seen some horribly build wheels come from them, and they don't provide much in way of service to cover their screw-ups.
    What does BTLOS stand for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beer is good
    Beyond The Limits Of Self
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone heard any hints of a Black Friday sale at any of the big players? L-B, Nextie, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Anyone heard any hints of a Black Friday sale at any of the big players? L-B, Nextie, etc?
    BTLOS is running a black friday sale with discounted rims and wheels as well as free shipping.
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by coombs View Post
    Not quite a year ago, I ordered a wheelset from EIE carbon. Here's a copy from an email I recieved from Pretty, their sales manager:

"The rim you chose A29C29D25 suits for AM and DH riding.So if you do ride moderate to technical trails, and do 3-4 foot drops,it is no problem .Below is price for your reference:
    You need Complete Wheelset
    Rim Size 29er
    Rim Performance All Mountain
    Rims A29C29D25 35mm outer wide
    Finish Matte
    Weave UD
    Decal None
    Hubs DT Swiss 240s
    Front Axle 15*110mm boost
    Rear Axle 12*148mm boost
    Hub Color Black
    Spoke Count 32/32 Hole
    Freehub Body Shimano MTB 10/11S
    Brake system Center lock
    Spokes black, Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 (bladed)
    Nipples Black Brass"

I paid $942 shipped to my door. The wheels have been amazing in every way. They look great, track straighter (I didn't realized I wasn't tracking well before that), are lighter than my previous wheelset, aired up tubeless with a floor pump, and hold air much better. They've exceeded my expectations. I tend to be a trail rider with ups and downs, but I do drops and jumps occasionally. I honestly think I'm faster, but that may just be the carbon getting to my brain. One photo is from EIE before they shipped. The others are at Slaughter Pen in Bentonville, AR. I think other brand have established credibility for sure, but my experience with EIE was quite good. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	1283519

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	448.7 KB 
ID:	1283521

Name:	rear wheel.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	1283523
    Nice wheelse! I know several people who have purchased carbon wheelsets from China and are very satisfied. Build quality is on par or better than what is on some high end bikes. All this with a nice savings in $$$.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    My ebay carbon rims are sweet, no name 29er 30mm inside with powerway hubs which offer options for XD hub bodies. So far they are standing up well to abuse.