mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Rovel Traverse 24 spoke front

So I buy a used 2018 Enduro with the Rovel Traverse 24 spoke wheels. A guy I met riding the same bike just before I bought mine said the wheels need to go, he was little guy, I am a Clyde, he trashed his wheels right from the get go he said, but he did crazy drops when I was with him, I don't do that. Riding with a buddy yesterday was telling me they were great CX rims, not gonna hold up doing the stuff we were doing. I like the lighter weight of course, but 24 spokes seems pretty thin. Is it a lost cause and I should go ahead and replace before I am 10 miles from the truck with a taco or are they worth a shot? I'm 225, ride light enduro, no big drops but I do attack the rocks pretty hard. Thoughts?

Workin for the weekend!
    Carbon or AL? Iím 230#, going on 3 seasons with my Traverse SLís, nothing but good things to say.

XC trail rider, no drops...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Carbon or AL? Iím 230#, going on 3 seasons with my Traverse SLís, nothing but good things to say.

XC trail rider, no drops...
    I have the AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
    I'm 225, ride light enduro, no big drops but I do attack the rocks pretty hard. Thoughts?
    I'm a little lighter than you at 215 lbs, but really don't see any set of 24 spoke rims holding up to someone near our size attacking "rocks pretty hard." I briefly had a set of Mavic XA Elite wheels with 24 spokes and couldn't tolerate how much they flexed powering out of slow corners. Probably be OK for XC, but I wouldn't have much confidence in them for "light enduro."

Much happier with a set of 32 hole Stan's Arch MK3 rims laces to DT Swiss 350's. Those have held up to 2 seasons of use, including the occasional 4 to 6 foot drop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I got to thinking I have a wheel I can swap with my hardtail and should be stronger, a Velocity Blount, and the 24 spokes should be OK for my hardtail. Why in the world would Specialized spec this on their hard core Enduro bike?
    Last edited by kendunn; 1 Week Ago at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For what its worth, I'm 230lbs, riding a 2017 Enduro Comp 29 with the al Roval Traverse wheels (24/28 hole). I've had the bike for just over a year, I hit rocks and roots pretty hard and raced some local enduro races on it and both front and rear wheels are still perfectly true.