On road wheel and tires suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

New question here. On road wheel and tires suggestions

I mostly ride road and paved trail at the moment but want to do more off road riding. I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels so I could easily swap from road to off road tires with less hassle. I'd love some suggestions as I haven't upgraded anything before and don't know much about what components are available.

I have a Trek Marlin 7 with stock Bontrager AT-650 29" wheels with Kenda Kwick Nine tires. These tires are 2" wide and I'm curious if there are skinnier 29" tires for road riding. Thanks

Thicc Member
    I ride my cx bike with Vittoria Terreno Dry. They come in various sizes, 30-40mm. You could also put Mezcals front and rear and just have one wheelset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pball7575 View Post
    I mostly ride road and paved trail at the moment but want to do more off road riding. I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels so I could easily swap from road to off road tires with less hassle. I'd love some suggestions as I haven't upgraded anything before and don't know much about what components are available.

I have a Trek Marlin 7 with stock Bontrager AT-650 29" wheels with Kenda Kwick Nine tires. These tires are 2" wide and I'm curious if there are skinnier 29" tires for road riding. Thanks
    I can't find a lot of info about this wheelset, but one source said the inner width of the rim is 19mm. Seems a bit narrow, but if it's true, that means you could go down to a 25-28mm road tyre if you wanted... 29", 28", 622, 700c are all the same thing. I probably wouldn't go down to a 25-28mm tyre, i'd rather get a 38-40mm slick just for road riding, like the Panaracer Gravelking (slick or the new SS version). Because of the boom of gravel bikes, there are tons of great tyre options in this size range.
    But there are some very fast XC tyres in the 2.1-2.2 range that I suspect would do much better both on and off road than the Kendas that you currently have.
    Last edited by HollyBoni; 07-12-2020 at 01:14 AM.