Rigid 29er Tires For Colorado?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Rigid 29er Tires For Colorado?

Hi there. I have been browsing this forum for quite some time, but I have not been able to find a thread specifically on wide 29er tires for use in sandy, rocky and loose terrain. My Salsa Mamasita can probably Fit a 2.3 rear and a 2.5 front with a Carver carbon fork. A tubeless ready tire is Ideal. If there is a thread already on this, just post a link.

Thanks!
    Josh.

mtbr member

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by JMerrihew View Post
    Hi there. I have been browsing this forum for quite some time, but I have not been able to find a thread specifically on wide 29er tires for use in sandy, rocky and loose terrain. My Salsa Mamasita can probably Fit a 2.3 rear and a 2.5 front with a Carver carbon fork. A tubeless ready tire is Ideal. If there is a thread already on this, just post a link.

Thanks!
    Josh.
    Not rigid but...I've been using the Ardent both front and rear (I think I have the 2.25, but they offer a 2.4) on my RIP9...have Racing Ralphs (2.25 but seem wider) on the hardtail. You should be able to find a tire thread under the Colorado Front Range forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

tires for rigid

I don't ride a rigid but for the conditions you mention you can't beat the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for the front, the back there are a number of 2.25/2.3 tires that work. My current fav. is a Specialized Ground Control 2.3.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Riding a rigid SS in similar AZ terrain. Love the Ardent 2.4 up front, tubeless on a Flow rim at 18 psi.
    Using an old style WW 2.55 on the rear. Wish I could find some old style WW but am currently looking for a replacement for the rear.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Specialized Captain 2.2 in front with a Ground Control 2.3 in the rear is a good Front Range tire combo. 2.2 Captain is a great high volume tire, it is a hair bigger than the GC 2.3. If you have nice wide rims, also look at the Specialized Purgatory.

I'm also in the Rockies. My current favorite on the rigid are (front tire only):

Ardent 2.4
    Rampage 2.35
    Purgatory 2.3

I'm wanting to try the Ardent on Rabbit Hole rim to see how I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    2.4 ardent in front 2.25 racing ralph out back
    I turn wrenches at a not for profit bike shop in Denver called The Bike Depot

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have found the Nobby Nics provide the best trade off between grip and rolling resistance on my hard tail here in CO. I had Racing Ralph's on before for speed but the could get sketchy if you push the bike hard in braking or hard cornering on our kitty litter ridden trails.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I have found the Nobby Nics provide the best trade off between grip and rolling resistance on my hard tail here in CO. I had Racing Ralph's on before for speed but the could get sketchy if you push the bike hard in braking or hard cornering on our kitty litter ridden trails.
    Agree with your evaluation, my experience also. I like the HD in front with the NN rear. The Spesh Control Captain has also done well for me here on the western slope.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Riding a rigid SS in similar AZ terrain. Love the Ardent 2.4 up front, tubeless on a Flow rim at 18 psi.
    Using an old style WW 2.55 on the rear. Wish I could find some old style WW but am currently looking for a replacement for the rear.
    The 2.4 Ardent works well in the rear, run it ~2 psi higher than the front and you will have plush in spades. The 2.25 works well too, needs ~5 psi more pressure.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for All of the feedback guys! I have some 2.2 mountain kings on it for now because they were just laying around. Once those wear out, I'll start experimenting!

Members who have read this thread: 0