Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Na
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    64

    Riding in the rain

    For the 2019 kona lava dome or any other good mtb with front shocks and front back rotor brake disc tend to rust in the rain?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,531
    Brake rotors are stainless steel so don't rust, per se. Forks with plated steel stanchions do rust over longer periods of time. Salty environments like salted roads in winter or exposure to sea spray will corrode just about anything over time. Rinsing with fresh water and keeping things well lubed can help.
    Do the math.

  3. #3
    Na
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Brake rotors are stainless steel so don't rust, per se. Forks with plated steel stanchions do rust over longer periods of time. Salty environments like salted roads in winter or exposure to sea spray will corrode just about anything over time. Rinsing with fresh water and keeping things well lubed can help.
    What should the steel be lubed with? 3 in 1 oil? Especially the forks.

  4. #4
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    Fork oil?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,261
    use a lube that is made for suspension forks! seriously, some ghetto crap like 3-in-1 oil will most likely gum up your fork for the long run. something like Slick Honey should do it.

    when you say "ride in the rain" that conjures up all kinds of horrible images for me. there are geological differences in how this works out, but where I live the trails are absolutely off limits until they have completely dried out. the dirt here is so sticky when wet that your tire sink in deep and it leaves a hardened groove when it dries.

  6. #6
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the dirt here is so sticky when wet that your tire sink in deep and it leaves a hardened groove when it dries.
    That can take multiple seasons to correct itself.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,089
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    use a lube that is made for suspension forks! seriously, some ghetto crap like 3-in-1 oil will most likely gum up your fork for the long run. something like Slick Honey should do it.

    when you say "ride in the rain" that conjures up all kinds of horrible images for me. there are geological differences in how this works out, but where I live the trails are absolutely off limits until they have completely dried out. the dirt here is so sticky when wet that your tire sink in deep and it leaves a hardened groove when it dries.
    Yeah, depends where you are.
    Lots of trails in my area are perfectly fine to ride in some rain.

    Never had a bike complain about getting wet. Not like they're made out of graham crackers. Don't worry about it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  8. #8
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

    Never had a bike complain about getting wet. Not like they're made out of graham crackers. Don't worry about it.
    That's good.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  9. #9
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,770
    Your profile says you are from Indiana (I used to live there), the soil does not do well in the rain, so it's best to stay on road/paved/gravel when it's wet out.
    Otherwise you will do trail damage.

Similar Threads

  1. Rain, rain and more rain......
    By 5k bike 50cent legs in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM
  3. Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain
    By LMN in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM
  4. Rain Rain And More Rain
    By heks in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 12:01 PM
  5. Rain, Rain, Rain....
    By Wobbegong in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 05:26 AM

Members who have read this thread: 119

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.