Replacement for Ardents 29x2.4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Replacement for Ardents 29x2.4

So I have been riding Ardents for a bit now and I am not totally in love with them. They don't seem as predictable as other tires I have tried on demo bikes recently.

Most of the trails around me are hardpacked clay with plenty of rocks and roots. The bike in question is a Ragley Big Wig. I'd say I enjoy the downs more then ups but I am still learning and am not the fastest or most aggressive rider yet.

I was thinking about Chunky Monkey front and either a Rekon, Forekaster or Minion SS rear for normal trail riding. I'd like a bit more grip particularly up front then Ardents but not as draggy as the the Minion DHF/DHR I have tried. I rode a Big Honzo with Rekons but those were 2.8s so I figure they have more grip then 2.4 Rekons.

How would these compared to Ardents? And then Minion SS, Forekaster or Rekon out back? Or another brands tire out back? I am pretty settled on the Chunky Monkey up front.

Edit: Meant to post this in wheels and tires. Can a mod move this?
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Rekon is a good rear tire for what you're looking to do. Rolls well and has better traction than the Ardent IMO. You can have a beefier front tire without much of a penalty in terms of rolling resistance. The back tire is more important in that regard. The Aggressor might be another good choice for a rear tire.

Have you thought about WTB? The Vigilante/Trail Boss setup has good traction and rolls decent for a more aggressive setup. I'm currently running a Magic Mary front with a Hans Dampf rear, but that's on a trail/enduro rig. Probably more than you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I thought the Aggressor was a lot more aggressive then the Ardent. I'd like to keep the rolling resistance of the Ardent at least on the rear at least for now. I may build up a second set of wheels and have two tire setups at some point.

I am not opposed to other brands at all.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Up until recently, I have been a weight weeny and a big fan of the 29x2.35 Nobby Nics due to their reduced rolling resistance and relatively light weight.

I just got back from Moab, where I decided to use a 2.5WT Aggressor rear (actual 2.4-ish) on a 30mm inner rim, and a 2.6 DHF (3C, EXO, etc. - actual 2.5-ish) front on a 30mm rim. I was shocked at how fast they rolled (I set multiple PR's on a 19 mile figure 8 at Navajo Rocks) and in the Park City/Salt Lake area I've been getting very good times as well.

Once the season gets going up here, on the XC style trails in Park City, I'll go back to the NoNi's.....which, BTW are way better than Ardents in every conceivable metric as far as I can tell....but if you like the downs more, I'd consider this Maxxis combo.

powered by peanut butter.
    I switched from Ardent 2.4s to Forekaster 2.35s and thought they rolled as well and gripped better.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    So I have been riding Ardents for a bit now and I am not totally in love with them. They don't seem as predictable as other tires I have tried on demo bikes recently.

Most of the trails around me are hardpacked clay with plenty of rocks and roots. The bike in question is a Ragley Big Wig. I'd say I enjoy the downs more then ups but I am still learning and am not the fastest or most aggressive rider yet.

I was thinking about Chunky Monkey front and either a Rekon, Forekaster or Minion SS rear for normal trail riding. I'd like a bit more grip particularly up front then Ardents but not as draggy as the the Minion DHF/DHR I have tried. I rode a Big Honzo with Rekons but those were 2.8s so I figure they have more grip then 2.4 Rekons.

How would these compared to Ardents? And then Minion SS, Forekaster or Rekon out back? Or another brands tire out back? I am pretty settled on the Chunky Monkey up front.

The Chunky Monkey is a good tire. More predictable than the Ardent (I personally hate the Ardent) the Forkaster is a great XC tire, fast rolling and doesn't pack up with damp dirt, but it's not going to give you any cushion on the rear neither will the SS. I think a bony XR4 would be a great tire to combo with the CC on a hardtail. both tires are big volume.

mtbr member
    You can also get the Bonty XR2 in a 2.35 width. Good tire for loose rock and sand .
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    You can also get the Bonty XR2 in a 2.35 width. Good tire for loose rock and sand .
    I don't really have either of those things on my local trails...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Chunky Monkey is a good tire. More predictable than the Ardent (I personally hate the Ardent) the Forkaster is a great XC tire, fast rolling and doesn't pack up with damp dirt, but it's not going to give you any cushion on the rear neither will the SS. I think a bony XR4 would be a great tire to combo with the CC on a hardtail. both tires are big volume.
    Ok I will keep that one in mind. Thanks.

I am going to use up my current Ardent 2.4 first with a Chunky Monkey front then I'll swap the rear.

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

Riding trails like you describe, I dropped the Ardents and have had very good success with a 2.35 Ikon 3c EXO in the front and a 2.35 Ardent Race 3C EXO. in the rear. This is a fast rolling and grippy combo for hardback clay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rekon, Forekaster, Continental Mountain King, XR4 all very similar to Ardent IMO and at this point a little bit better. If you decide faster rolling in the rear Rekon and ForeKaster still should be considered but something like an Ikon should also be on your list as mentioned above, just note though that tire is nothing like an ardent is for grip, if you are constantly standing or have loose climbs a faster rolling read is going to take some getting used to.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!