Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    So...
    Anything else out there in the same class?
    I didn't want to wait another 2+ months with a new wheelset I just got built, so I went with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6s.

mtbr member
    Anyone put there hands or calipers on the new offerings from Terravaill? They have 29x2.6 tires available right now but have heard nothing about them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Anyone put there hands or calipers on the new offerings from Terravaill? They have 29x2.6 tires available right now but have heard nothing about them.
    After a little stretching, my teravail Cumberland is about 2.7" at the tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    I didn't want to wait another 2+ months with a new wheelset I just got built, so I went with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6s.
    Right! Of course the NNs. Maybe Iíll pick up one or two. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorshanks View Post
    After a little stretching, my teravail Cumberland is about 2.7" at the tread.
    With 2.7Ē,I guess that wonít fit on a Hightower..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    I may have to grab another Chunky Monkey or maybe a 2.5" DHF while I wait for the Rekon. Or maybe Kenda will have the 2.6" Nevegal 2 out soon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I may have to grab another Chunky Monkey or maybe a 2.5" DHF while I wait for the Rekon. Or maybe Kenda will have the 2.6" Nevegal 2 out soon...
    Anyone know the width of the DHF 2.5?

Iím needing to replace a tire soon. Might try a NN on the front, or maybe the DHF.

--Reamer

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Nobby nic 2.6 has about the same tread width as the DHF 2.5, but the NN has a much bigger casing. I would estimate 25% larger volume over a DHF. The DHF is heavier, slower and has significantly more grip. Especially when you are leaned over on the cornering knobs.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Yeah, like Reamer said, no comparison between the NN and DHF in terms of grip, just none. Look at what you are currently running, then determine if it is "enough" or if you need more, then look to which tyre to use to achieve this goal.
    Anyone know the width of the DHF 2.5? Iím needing to replace a tire soon. Might try a NN on the front, or maybe the DHF.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

WNC Native
    Anyone know the width of the DHF 2.5?
    2.5 WT DHF on i30 at 20psi tubeless is 2.4" casing and 2.53" at the widest knobs.
    Also if I remember correctly - 2.5 DHF (non WT) was 2.575" on widest knobs and around or right under 2.5" casing on i35 at 18-19psi tubeless

Just swapped from a 2.6NN to the 2.5 WT DHF on the back of my bike, noticeably less volume. I'd agree with the above number of around 20-25%.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I class the DHF as a completely different type of tyre to the NN, the NN being much more XC oriented, especially when paired to a Rocket Ron on the rear. I've ran the 2.6 RR/NN combo on my 27.5" setup and found it to be a speedy option but with nowhere near the levels of grip the 2.5 WT DHF and 2.4 WT DHR II combo offers.

Like LyNx says, look at what you want and need from a tyre and adjust accordingly...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    With 2.7Ē,I guess that wonít fit on a Hightower..
    Yeah, I should mention that's on an i35 rim too. It's 2.6" at the casing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorshanks View Post
    Yeah, I should mention that's on an i35 rim too. It's 2.6" at the casing.
    i think I'm gonna try the cumberland 29X2.6 once my carbon wheels with i30 comes on the hightower

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    i think I'm gonna try the cumberland 29X2.6 once my carbon wheels with i30 comes on the hightower
    Word on the street is that the Cumberland is around 2.7Ē at the knobs.
    Donít think itíll work

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    FYI the Cumberland and Kennebec in the "durable" casing are 1150 grams.....I'm still waiting and hoping the Rekons will be around 850.

mtbr member
    Any word on the availability or specs of the Bontrager xr4 29 x 2.60?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I class the DHF as a completely different type of tyre to the NN, the NN being much more XC oriented, especially when paired to a Rocket Ron on the rear. I've ran the 2.6 RR/NN combo on my 27.5" setup and found it to be a speedy option but with nowhere near the levels of grip the 2.5 WT DHF and 2.4 WT DHR II combo offers.
    I love the combination of volume and grip on my 3.0 DHF and DFR II on my 29+ bike and would love to try those in a 2.6 size and my 29'r. Just picked up a 2.4 WT DHR II to replace my chunky monkey. Hopefully by the time that is due for replacement we have more 2.6" options.

mtbr member
    I love the combination of volume and grip on my 3.0 DHF and DFR II on my 29+ bike and would love to try those in a 2.6 size and my 29'r. Just picked up a 2.4 WT DHR II to replace my chunky monkey. Hopefully by the time that is due for replacement we have more 2.6" options.
    It is a great tyre, Iíve ran it on my Switchblade since June and love how predictable it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    You're running the DHR2 on the front? If so, very curious to hear your thoughts as compared to the CM/ At first it was a bit of a learning experience with the SB/CM, but that didn't take long and then once I had gotten accustomed to them, nothing worked as well, really liked the CM on the front, don't find the 2.3" DHR2 to be as good from what I can remember.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You're running the DHR2 on the front? If so, very curious to hear your thoughts as compared to the CM/ At first it was a bit of a learning experience with the SB/CM, but that didn't take long and then once I had gotten accustomed to them, nothing worked as well, really liked the CM on the front, don't find the 2.3" DHR2 to be as good from what I can remember.
    Actually running the DHR II 2.4" on the rear. Just mounted it up and it appears to have a lot less volume than the chunky monkey and is noticeably thinner. Still, I like the way his big brother (29x3.0 DHR II) rides so hopefully the 2.4" will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any word on the availability or specs of the Bontrager xr4 29 x 2.60?
    Last week of January I was told some flavor would be shipping. Hopefully a team issue XR4 or SE4. Me want!
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Last week of January I was told some flavor would be shipping. Hopefully a team issue XR4 or SE4. Me want!

--Reamer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I noticed these are available on the Maxxis website today. 60 & 120 TPI varieties. Not sure when they went live, anyone get their hands on them yet?

mtbr member
    Ordered mine this morning from Maxxis 60tpi $91

mtbr member
    Glad they are now available. Now 60tpi or 120?

Category Winner
    Ordered mine. Stoke is high.

Went with the 120tpi myself.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Damn! Thatís a lot of coin!

--Reamer

Live Free & Ride
    Looking to get mine at Universal Cycles as soon as they come in!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

Keep on Rockin...
    Excellent, but a Forekaster makes a much better all-rounder. Hoping for that next. Just can't see a Rekon giving enough grab up front. Back yes, front no.

mtbr member
    Curious what bike you're looking at this for and what sort of riding? My experience with the Rekon on the front, 2.8" version, 650B, was that it is a very decent front for Agro XC/Light Trail/Trail depending on your trail surface and type of bike and speed you do. In looking at it, the Rekon looks like a cross between an Ardent and a HR2, without the lack of transition knobs and too big space between centre and outer knobs, the original Ardent design suffers from. I wouldn't mind even giving it a go as a replacement for a DHR2.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Excellent, but a Forekaster makes a much better all-rounder. Hoping for that next. Just can't see a Rekon giving enough grab up front. Back yes, front no.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Curious what bike you're looking at this for and what sort of riding? My experience with the Rekon on the front, 2.8" version, 650B, was that it is a very decent front for Agro XC/Light Trail/Trail depending on your trail surface and type of bike and speed you do. In looking at it, the Rekon looks like a cross between an Ardent and a HR2, without the lack of transition knobs and too big space between centre and outer knobs, the original Ardent design suffers from. I wouldn't mind even giving it a go as a replacement for a DHR2.
    Agreed. I love my Rekons and feel that they strike a perfect balance between grip and light weight. The trails I ride 99% of the time require a lot of pedaling so weight is important to me, and Rekons have a lot of cornering bite compared to more XC-oriented tires they compete with in terms of weight and rolling resistance.

Keep on Rockin...
    The Rekon _appears_ to lack sufficient knob height to allow it to penetrate dirt, leaves, loam, etc. As a front tire does not appear to have enough bite for trail to AM riding. For lighter duty XC riding, would likely be ok. It also has a relatively tightly spaced pattern that is typically very prone to packing up in wet or sticky conditions. Although, I may be wrong on that - perhaps it is spaced out better than I thought.

The Forekaster has a "classic" open knobby design that has been around a really long time. It is seen on many other tires from other brands such as Schwalbe and Bontrager, even Maxxis uses it on the Shorty. It's just a matter of the maker playing with the casing and durometer and knob height. That design rolls well, bites the trail, and importantly for me, clears out easily.

mtbr member
    I'll deal with this as I don't have a load of time on the Rekon in wet conditions, but the few times I've ridden in the wet, on my trails without much leave litter, it has been fantastic.

As to the Forekaster, in those conditions with loose, loam, leaf litter, soft m ud etc, then yes it would work better, but once it gets hardpack, those taller, skinnier knobs can start to get quite rolly/squirmy, especially on hardpack, rocks, roots when wet. I personally would have liked to see the tread blocks increased by about 15-20%, they remind me a bit of the original Mtn King in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The Forekaster has a "classic" open knobby design that has been around a really long time. It is seen on many other tires from other brands such as Schwalbe and Bontrager, even Maxxis uses it on the Shorty. It's just a matter of the maker playing with the casing and durometer and knob height. That design rolls well, bites the trail, and importantly for me, clears out easily.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'll deal with this as I don't have a load of time on the Rekon in wet conditions, but the few times I've ridden in the wet, on my trails without much leave litter, it has been fantastic.

As to the Forekaster, in those conditions with loose, loam, leaf litter, soft m ud etc, then yes it would work better, but once it gets hardpack, those taller, skinnier knobs can start to get quite rolly/squirmy, especially on hardpack, rocks, roots when wet. I personally would have liked to see the tread blocks increased by about 15-20%, they remind me a bit of the original Mtn King in that regard.
    Agree with those thoughts.

Those 2.6" tires, at least in a 275, give traction that is at another level from traditional tire sizes. So something like the Rekon in a 2.6 is going to be way grippier, even in wet, than the same tire with less width.

Yeah, those knobs on the Forekaster could squirm. It helps to run a harder dual compound out back. We just don't have a lot of high speed, hard pack type trails where that would be a problem.

A lot of where we are coming from probably has to do with what types of trail conditions we face.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Duplicate

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Damn! Thatís a lot of coin!

Bikeman Maxxis Rekon Tire 29 x 2.6" 120tpi Triple Compound MaxxTerra EXO Casing Tubeless Ready, Black

$73 here

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I reached out to Worldwide Cyclery and they added the 2.6 Rekons to their website. $118.04 shipped for TWO 120tpi tires with coupon code MTBRAD20.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...tubeless-ready

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I reached out to Worldwide Cyclery and they added the 2.6 Rekons to their website. $118.04 shipped for TWO 120tpi tires with coupon code MTBRAD20.

Thanks

mtbr member

Perfect, thank you!

mtbr member
    You damn guys are encouragable, you know that Luckily I'm working on my self restraint from buying stuff I really don't "need" like these. While everyone is all about the higher volume these days, did anyone notice they have a 29x2.25" listed? Think this would be a very interesting XC/Light Trail option at 670g for the 3C/EXO/TR option

mtbr member
    You damn guys are encouragable, you know that Luckily I'm working on my self restraint from buying stuff I really don't "need" like these. While everyone is all about the higher volume these days, did anyone notice they have a 29x2.25" listed? Think this would be a very interesting XC/Light Trail option at 670g for the 3C/EXO/TR option
    The last thing I needed was another pair of tyres, but guess what's winging it's way over the Atlantic now, thanks to this thread?!

mtbr member

Thanks!
    I see Universal has them now, too, but this is a better price.

--Reamer

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any ride reviews yet?

How do the Rekons compare to the Ardents? More aggressive trail tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcobra View Post
    Any ride reviews yet?

How do the Rekons compare to the Ardents? More aggressive trail tire?
    Mine arrives on Tuesday so I'll report back next weekend.

Category Winner
    Ride one. Gotta dial in the pressure before I can make a judgment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.-img_9755.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Ride one. Gotta dial in the pressure before I can make a judgment.

That's what I get for posting from my phone.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What do they measure in terms of width?

Pinehurst NC
    What does that box say?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    What do they measure in terms of width?

2.45 on a Stans Arch 17lb tire pressure

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What's the internal width on that wheelset? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynec View Post
    2.45 on a Stans Arch 17lb tire pressure
    Well that's disappointing. Not sure what I was expecting being a Maxxis tire though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    What's the internal width on that wheelset? Thanks.
    26mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stumanbmx View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Not sure what I was expecting being a Maxxis tire though.

Not really far off from what the Nobby Nic 2.6 measures on a similar wheelset. I should have my new Ripley X01 Werx build w/Ibis 942 wheels in a week or so. I'm installing Rekons the day it arrives so I'll be sure to get some measurements.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not really far off from what the Nobby Nic 2.6 measures on a similar wheelset. I should have my new Ripley X01 Werx build w/Ibis 942 wheels in a week or so. I'm installing Rekons the day it arrives so I'll be sure to get some measurements.
    Sounds good. Hopefully they are closer to 2.6 on some i35 rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any idea how much taller in diameter they will be compared to a 2.4?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    This thread is getting me excited to run a rekon on my bike. It'll be a front tire for me, paired with an ardent race in back for my longer, faster rides... now I just have to wait for my wheeelset to come in.
    Last edited by neologisticzand; 12-25-2017 at 07:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I got my Recons a couple days ago. I mounted up without sealantó wanted to make sure it would fit in the back end of my Santa Cruz TBTLc. It fit no prob.

On an i 29mm rim at about 18 psi the tire casing and knobs were just a bit over 2.4Ē. Iím guessing it will stretch some once I get some sealant in there and it hold some pressure.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How tall are they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    How tall are they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Too tall for my bike. Maxxis states 759Ī5mm for this tire. However, this is likely on a i35 rim.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I got my Recons a couple days ago. I mounted up without sealantó wanted to make sure it would fit in the back end of my Santa Cruz TBTLc. It fit no prob.

On an i 29mm rim at about 18 psi the tire casing and knobs were just a bit over 2.4Ē. Iím guessing it will stretch some once I get some sealant in there and it hold some pressure.
    I wish that it would fit on the back of my TB3. I've already heard on the tb3 picture thread that it doesn't fit. Oh well, front only for me then.

I too am curious about the height of the tire. Any chance you can whip out come calipers and measure it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neologisticzand View Post
    I wish that it would fit on the back of my TB3. I've already heard on the tb3 picture thread that it doesn't fit. Oh well, front only for me then.

I too am curious about the height of the tire. Any chance you can whip out come calipers and measure it?
    Calipers are out.
    Where does one measure from? Top edge of the rim?

--Reamer

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Calipers are out.
    Where does one measure from? Top edge of the rim?

That works and also a measurement from the flood to the top of the tire helps see the diameter.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    That works and also a measurement from the flood to the top of the tire helps see the diameter.
    After a while at 30psi the width was 2.49Ē and height from the rim bead 2.35Ē
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    From floor to top of tire was just less than 29.5Ē / 75cm.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for all the measurements!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    To add to the list of measurements, two of these just arrived today and measured 776g and 786g (advertised 780g, 120tpi).

mtbr member
    Glad Matt provided the coupon code for Worldwide Cyclery. My 2.6" Rekon measures 2.4" on a 29mm ID rim which is the same width as my trusty 2.4" chunky monkey tires...I got my first ride this morning with the rekon mounted up front. I'm 200lbs and started with 18psi and dropped it to 15psi by the end of the ride. I'll continue to play with pressure. Also my riding buddy spotted a small shallow cut in the sideway before I even unloaded the bike. Anyone else notice any sidewall nicks on their new Rekons?

mtbr member
    Don't let us down, I'll be looking to you or others who've ridden the On One tyres for comparison, as , well, they really are just that good. Curious to hear your thoughts on grip/feel as front compared to the CM.

Glad Matt provided the coupon code for Worldwide Cyclery. My 2.6" Rekon measures 2.4" on a 29mm ID rim which is the same width as my trusty 2.4" chunky monkey tires...I got my first ride this morning with the rekon mounted up front. I'm 200lbs and started with 18psi and dropped it to 15psi by the end of the ride. I'll continue to play with pressure. Also my riding buddy spotted a small shallow cut in the sideway before I even unloaded the bike. Anyone else notice any sidewall nicks on their new Rekons?

SPECIALizED
    Did you inflate it to max pressure and let it sit overnight? I was told to do this from Maxxis and it worked for my 29◊2.35 Forekasters. They measured 2.2 when I first installed them then "grew" to 2.35 overnight.

mtbr member
    Don't let us down, I'll be looking to you or others who've ridden the On One tyres for comparison, as , well, they really are just that good. Curious to hear your thoughts on grip/feel as front compared to the CM.
    I am a chunky monkey fan and will report back with a comparison after I have some more time on the Rekon. I did have 3-4 times today where the front wheel drifted ever so slightly in high speed turns. It hooked up again really quickly but it was a bit disconcerting the first couple of times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Did you inflate it to max pressure and let it sit overnight? I was told to do this from Maxxis and it worked for my 29◊2.35 Forekasters. They measured 2.2 when I first installed them then "grew" to 2.35 overnight.
    I did not inflate to the max psi's. The beads seated nicely at about 30psi and I left it there overnight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    To add to the list of measurements, two of these just arrived today and measured 776g and 786g (advertised 780g, 120tpi).
    Awesome, I'm really glad to hear that they are close to the advertised weight.

mtbr member
    Once it's nothing "Ardent like", then that's fine. Could just be you needing to get accustomed to where the knobs are on the casing relative to the CM. When I first got my One One tyres, I tried Smorgasbord F&R and I had a similar experience exiting a mainly dirt trail onto wet grass on a slight corner, happened a few times during that ride and so the CM went on the front, but I think had I give them a few more rides, I may have gotten accustomed to it, just didn't want to have another "Ardent experience". Compared to older Maxxis tyres, the On Ones outer knobs were further around/out the casing, so you had to lean them over a bit more before they would bite, i.e. be a bit more aggressive, but once I got accustomed to this, they were fantastic.

I am a chunky monkey fan and will report back with a comparison after I have some more time on the Rekon. I did have 3-4 times today where the front wheel drifted ever so slightly in high speed turns. It hooked up again really quickly but it was a bit disconcerting the first couple of times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anybody have any idea have an idea how these will wear compared to a Nobby Nic 2.6? Have the 29x2.6 Nobby Nics but am debating getting these for a long bikepacking trip. It seems like some people have durability problems with the NN's, wondering if these will be better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have 1,000 miles on a set of 27.5x2.8 60tpi Rekons on my Mojo 3...the front still looks new, and the rear center tread is a bit worn down but not enough to warrant replacement. Never had a single puncture and I've ridden some pretty gnarly trails in western NC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the review. I ended up ordering a 60 tpi pair with the discount code from worldwide cyclery. Hoping they do the trick for me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Sooo..anyone have any updates / ride reports yet?

Category Winner
    Sooo..anyone have any updates / ride reports yet?
    I should soon. Rode yesterday. Down to 12psi one 120 tpi version (135lb rider).

It was a good day.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I should soon. Rode yesterday. Down to 12psi one 120 tpi version (135lb rider).

It was a good day.
    Thatís really low, I canít wait to see what this 235lbs rider will be able to run. For comparison I run 14/13 on my 29x3ís.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thatís really low, I canít wait to see what this 235lbs rider will be able to run. For comparison I run 14/13 on my 29x3ís.

I was surprised because I was running my DHR+ at 11psi... which makes think I could go even lower with it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I was surprised because I was running my DHR+ at 11psi... which makes think I could go even lower with it.
    Yes it certainly seems that way!

Iím just hoping for similar levels of performance to the WT Minions these are replacing but from a lighter tyre. I should have them in the next couple of days, so weíll see.

mtbr member
    i jumped on board and have one in hand. blimey, its a light tyre. No way it has a minion carcass, so higher relative pressure is going to be a given, i'd wager. I'm going to run it on the front, so durability shouldnt be a major issue. we'll see....looking forward to giving i a try. the bike its going on is this..

Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.-32740018223_f5860dd384_z.jpg

It currently has a dhf 29x3 on a 40mm nextie rim. i've always wanted to try a 2.8, but 2.6 is fine. the rear is a maxxis tomahawk, which was outgunned by the traction and ability to ride aggressively the DHF delivered.

We'll see...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Anybody know if this is possible to order this from any european sites? Not even Maxxis Europe lists them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    Anybody know if this is possible to order this from any european sites? Not even Maxxis Europe lists them.
    I couldnít find anywhere so ended up ordering from Worldwide Cyclery, I paid a £22 customs fee the other day for the privilege but I really want these tyres!

mtbr member
    Once it's nothing "Ardent like", then that's fine. Could just be you needing to get accustomed to where the knobs are on the casing relative to the CM. When I first got my One One tyres, I tried Smorgasbord F&R and I had a similar experience exiting a mainly dirt trail onto wet grass on a slight corner, happened a few times during that ride and so the CM went on the front, but I think had I give them a few more rides, I may have gotten accustomed to it, just didn't want to have another "Ardent experience". Compared to older Maxxis tyres, the On Ones outer knobs were further around/out the casing, so you had to lean them over a bit more before they would bite, i.e. be a bit more aggressive, but once I got accustomed to this, they were fantastic.
    I rode a trail today that is slippery (small loose gravel over hard pack) and the Rekon did not give me lots of confidence...I found I was braking earlier than normal so that the tire would not lose traction in the corners. Anyway, I have been using the chunky monkey as a front tire for 2-3 years now so it may just take some time to adjust.
    Last edited by noosa2; 01-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I rode a trail today that is slippery (small loose gravel over hard pack) and the Rekon did to give me lots of confidence...I found I was braking earlier than normal so the the tire was not lose traction in the corners. Anyway, I have been using the chunky monkey as a front tire for 2-3 years now so it may just take some time to adjust.
    It's always interesting to me how people can feel so different about tire setups...I usually run an ardent race front and rear, so I expect this tire to have a good bit more bite. To me, it's a step up in grip. Haha.

mtbr member
    Djorn, I think you're going to notice a huge difference going from a 3" DHF to the 2.6" Rekon, if you like it, who knows, but it will definitely be a big change going from the amount of grip I get on my DHF 3.0". Also I think you'll notice a big volume/squish change, as the DHF is just so big, I run mine down at 9PSI on an i39 rim on my rigid KM, can't imagine going back to something less.

It's not feeling different, not in your case, you're running an XC tyre setup, so of course going to a more trail oriented tyre should instill more confidence, Noosa was coming from one of the most confidence inspiring trail/am tyres I know of, so quite easy to not be as impressed or it take a bit of time to get accustomed to the new tread design as the Chunky Monkey is a very unique tyre in that regard.

It's always interesting to me how people can feel so different about tire setups...I usually run an ardent race front and rear, so I expect this tire to have a good bit more bite. To me, it's a step up in grip. Haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

It's not feeling different, not in your case, you're running an XC tyre setup, so of course going to a more trail oriented tyre should instill more confidence, Noosa was coming from one of the most confidence inspiring trail/am tyres I know of, so quite easy to not be as impressed or it take a bit of time to get accustomed to the new tread design as the Chunky Monkey is a very unique tyre in that regard.
    My apologies, I was not very clear with what I meant when I said "feel different about tire setups." What I meant was, I think it is interesting how people have different preferences about tire setups and how they can be very personal. Some people prioritize grip, while other people prioritize rolling resistance and weight. For example, in my case, I wouldn't use a tire like a 3.0 minion due to it's weight, but someone else would say the opposite about my tire choice, that ardent race's are too light duty.

mtbr member
    Hey man, no worries, I know what you mean and those Ardent Races would make excellent XC/Light Trail tyres IMHO, but if I was to be pushing it, I would just replace the front with either a Rekon, DHR2 or DHF, depending on how hard and conditions. Haven't personally tried the new Race version of the Ardent, but it looks fast, while still looking to provide enough bit on the rear, on the front not sure I'd trust it, maybe the same centre tread with a bit bigger side knobs.

When I rode mainly XC I used to run Crossmark rear/Ignitor front and it worked really well, but that was a while ago and these days I have bikes with better geometry which inspires confidence and allows me to push harder and I honestly no longer really worry about how much drag, just pedal the damn bike

My apologies, I was not very clear with what I meant when I said "feel different about tire setups." What I meant was, I think it is interesting how people have different preferences about tire setups and how they can be very personal. Some people prioritize grip, while other people prioritize rolling resistance and weight. For example, in my case, I wouldn't use a tire like a 3.0 minion due to it's weight, but someone else would say the opposite about my tire choice, that ardent race's are too light duty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Djorn, I think you're going to notice a huge difference going from a 3" DHF to the 2.6" Rekon, if you like it, who knows, but it will definitely be a big change going from the amount of grip I get on my DHF 3.0". Also I think you'll notice a big volume/squish change, as the DHF is just so big, I run mine down at 9PSI on an i39 rim on my rigid KM, can't imagine going back to something less.

Hey man, no worries, I know what you mean and those Ardent Races would make excellent XC/Light Trail tyres IMHO, but if I was to be pushing it, I would just replace the front with either a Rekon, DHR2 or DHF, depending on how hard and conditions. Haven't personally tried the new Race version of the Ardent, but it looks fast, while still looking to provide enough bit on the rear, on the front not sure I'd trust it, maybe the same centre tread with a bit bigger side knobs.

When I rode mainly XC I used to run Crossmark rear/Ignitor front and it worked really well, but that was a while ago and these days I have bikes with better geometry which inspires confidence and allows me to push harder and I honestly no longer really worry about how much drag, just pedal the damn bike
    Ardent Races make great XC/light trail tires. And I agree, I have a different tire setup for trails that are chunkier. In the past I would throw on a DHF in the front (often with a minion SS in the rear) but I'm hoping the new 2.6 Rekon can help bridge the gap a bit without notably slowing my bike down on my 20-30 mile rides.

I'm a big fan of the Ardent Races and think that they are better than the old ardents, as they have a surprising amount of grip and do not have any dead spots in transition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Rekon vs Nobby NIc

Here's a 29x2.6 Rekon next to a 29x2.6 Nobby Nic, both on i30 rims. Really close size-wise.
    Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.-img_20180102_161855-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic. Even before seeing the pic I would have said I'd take the Rekon any day of the week, but now seeing them side by side, most definitely the Rekon any day of the week. Going from how well the 2.8" B+ version rolls, these will be a very popular tyre, both on the rear paired with something more aggressive like the DHF and also on the front paired with something less like a Ardent Race, Ikon or such.

Quote Originally Posted by ski5 View Post
    Here's a 29x2.6 Rekon next to a 29x2.6 Nobby Nic, both on i30 rims. Really close size-wise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180102_161855(1).jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	1175985

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the pic. Even before seeing the pic I would have said I'd take the Rekon any day of the week, but now seeing them side by side, most definitely the Rekon any day of the week. Going from how well the 2.8" B+ version rolls, these will be a very popular tyre, both on the rear paired with something more aggressive like the DHF and also on the front paired with something less like a Ardent Race, Ikon or such.
    A rekon on the front paired with an ardent race looks like it will be an amazing setup for 20-30 mile daily rides. Can't wait to get my new wheels to use the new rekon as I think 24mm internal is too narrow to match this tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I can confirm that the Rekon 29x2.6 fits the new Ripley LS V3 with plenty of clearance. Just got my Ripley today and they mounted right up to the 942 wheelset right from the first pump with a floor pump. I was amazed. Currently sitting at 35psi, will get some measurements soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    A rekon on the front paired with an ardent race looks like it will be an amazing setup for 20-30 mile daily rides. Can't wait to get my new wheels to use the new rekon as I think 24mm internal is too narrow to match this tire.
    Quoting myself here, but as a follow up, while I'm still waiting on raceface to ship my new wheels, I test fit the tire to a 24mm internal rim and it isn't actually a bad fit. Wider rim would be better, but I'm pleased with it on a narrower rim for now. We'll see how it is on the trail

mtbr member
    Coming from Ardent 2.4s the Recon 29x2.60s really surprised me.

Granted, Iím only one ride in, but these are a great improvement for my ride.

The bike is Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc with i29mm rims. Prescott, AZ trails. Very dry conditions right now. These tires were very confidence inspiring. Stuck like glue in dry dusty trails - some of which were newly cut and unfamiliar to me...
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Not really surprising in the least. IMHO the Ardent is one of Maxxis worst tyre designs they've come up with, for every one person who likes it, there are probably 20 who don't. The issues to me with it was how big the transitional space was between the outer and center knobs, especially when running it on a narrower rim and then those too few intermediate knobs. If you compare the channel between the outer and center knobs from say a HR2, DHF or DHR2, it is much smaller compared to the Ardent on a similar with rim.

Coming from Ardent 2.4s the Recon 29x2.60s really surprised me.

Granted, Iím only one ride in, but these are a great improvement for my ride.

The bike is Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc with i29mm rims. Prescott, AZ trails. Very dry conditions right now. These tires were very confidence inspiring. Stuck like glue in dry dusty trails - some of which were newly cut and unfamiliar to me...

mtbr member
    I can confirm that the Rekon 29x2.6 fits the new Ripley LS V3 with plenty of clearance. Just got my Ripley today and they mounted right up to the 942 wheelset right from the first pump with a floor pump. I was amazed. Currently sitting at 35psi, will get some measurements soon.
    Whoa, timely post. I just pulled the trigger on the Ripley LS and was wondering about these tires on the same rims. Post the width when you get a chance. Good to hear about the ease of tubeless with this combo too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Whoa, timely post. I just pulled the trigger on the Ripley LS and was wondering about these tires on the same rims. Post the width when you get a chance. Good to hear about the ease of tubeless with this combo too!
    Nice bike! And it has awesome tire clearance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Just wanted to put it out there that the tire works well on an easton arc 24 rim, which has a 24mm internal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast