Which Nox Rims> Is Wider Worth It?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Which Nox Rims> Is Wider Worth It?

I was all set to order the Nox XC rims when a friend said to take a look at the wider AM version. The inner diameter on the xc is 23mm which is good for xc, the am rim has a 29mm with a weight penalty of 100g for the set.

Is the wider 29mm rim width significant enough in performance on a 29r, that already has a larger contact area, over a 23mm rim? Or would the increased rotational mass not be worth the gains of going with the wider rim?

The bike will be short travel xc/trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    IMO the 23mm inner profile of the Nox XC rim is plenty wide and my Nox XC wheelset has been great thus far for XC trail riding (been riding a Nox wheelset for a few months now). The "wide rim is better" notion was debated ad nauseam in the wheels & tires forum a few weeks ago. FWIW I don't think you will be disappointed with a Nox XC wheelset. Cheers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...pe-900712.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've started this season riding 2.2 tires on 30mm internal width Wide Lightnings. The difference is noticeable for added corner traction at 18 front and 23 rear. Of course you still have limits. The added cushioning on my carbon SF 9.8 is also noticeable from the increased volume.
    I think the benefit is worth 100 grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went to Flow EX and Now Derbys all with the same tires. I prefer the wider rims. I'd take a hit on weight for the benefit.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been trying to decide this very thing. I think I am going with the wide rims myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the link, don't know how I missed that hot mess. Many informed posts; no real conclusion other than there are many physical variables and personal preference.

Definitely don't need to go there again until more back to back comparisons are available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What width are you looking at?

This is turning out to be a more complicated decision than I anticipated but nothing new especially when trying to spend wisely on very expensive bike parts. Bike tech is always an education!

11 is one louder than 10
    I like wide rims, but I've been really happy with anything from 2.2 - 2.4 on the 23mm nox rims.

Love this wheelset thus far also.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks all - going with 23mm width this time but who knows, maybe a second set of light bike wide rims for my old CK hub down the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just got my new 35mm wide carbon rims, loving the improved nimbleness of the bike. Still experimenting with pressures though, I seem to bouncing sideways off stuff I didn't used to with the Arch ex running the same tires/pressures, Any ideas on how much lower to go? 25&20psi currently

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm pondering the same thing myself, but leaning towards the AM rim after an email conversation with Brad at Nox. I'm currently on Crossmax ST's (19mm internal) with a 2.35 Hans Dampf on front and 2.2 Nobby Nic on back. A set of AM-29 built with I9s will be approx 100 g lighter, yet stronger, stiffer, and 10mm wider vs the Mavics.

It sounds like the wider rim will result in a significantly larger tire contact patch, so I can swap out the awesome-yet-heavy Hans D for a lighter tire, which will more than make up for the 45 g weight difference between the AM and XCR rims. The increased strength and stiffness of the AM is appealing as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Brad at Nox and Dave at Speeddream Wheels are proponents of the wider rims. Check out the link that Cusco referenced, really interesting discussion on rim width that I am sure will be revisited many times. Both Nox rim widths have advantages and potential disadvantages and although I ordered the xc rims (23mm internal is excellent width for an xc rim) this time, I look forward to a demo of the wider version at some point.

I would be interesting to find a comparison value of just how much stronger the AM version is over the XC. At 50g per wheel more, the material/area would be close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    wider rims look cool and they are also stronger...

tyre manufacturers also recommend the wider rims for wider tyres

also note ID can be measured from inside the top edges of the rim or where the bead sits
    this also leads to some confusion

and what everyone else said

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had the same dilemma when I ordered my wheels for my new Ripley a couple months ago. I ended up switching from the NOX XC to the NOX AM for a couple reasons:

1. I tend to run wider, meatier tires for the type and style of riding I do, so the wider rim seems to make sense for me as I'm not crazy about some of the squirm I get with wide tires on skinny rims. (High Roller 2, Minion DHR II, Ardent, etc.)
    2. The AM version does away with the bead hook and is supposed to make for a stronger bead. This sounds plausible enough to me and the durability benefit seems to be worth it.
    3. With the 29er wheel size, I prefer as much stiffness laterally as possible, so I figured the extra bit of material on the AM version would help with this.

I just picked up the new wheels this weekend from Dave Thomas/SpeedDream. He built up a set of AM29s with I9 hubs and they look amazing. FWIW, I've become a bit of a wheel snob and after 3 different sets of wheels from Dave I can't ride anybody else's wheels. Hand-built perfection...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hayakawasaki, how are the AM 29 wheels? What tires you running? I'm torn between the xcr and AM. I'm on board with all the benefits of the wider rim, but I'm worried about tire width. I like to run a faster 2.2 to 2.25 on the rear. Wondering if thats a problem on a such a wide rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The AM29 wheels are awesome. I'm currently running a Minion DHR II 2.3 in the front and an Ardent 2.25 in the back. They are incredibly (kind of shocking at first, actually) stiff, so that takes a little bit of getting used to. There is no sloppiness in corners at all and they are so stiff it actually transmits more of the trail through the suspension.

The width creates a bit more volume in the tires so you actually have to decrease your tire pressure a bit. I'm now down to 19-20 psi in the back and 17-19 in the front. There are no issues so far running the 2.25 in the back for me. The sidewalls seem to have a better position for cornering.