noob putting a bike together. chainwheel shaft not quite long enough?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

noob putting a bike together. chainwheel shaft not quite long enough?

I guess you have to start somewhere! I've got a 2018 Krampus I'm trying to build up. I'm using a Shimano BB-MT800 and a SLX FC M7000-11-B2

my problem seems to be that the shaft doesn't seem quite long enough to fully attach the left crank arm. almost but not quite. I can't thread in the locknut on the left side. The BB came with 3 washers and I'm not sure if I can remove those to get the shaft through far enough or is that going to screw with my chain alignment? Currently I've got two washers on the right and 1 on the left. Any help would be appreciated!

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakelite View Post
    I guess you have to start somewhere! I've got a 2018 Krampus I'm trying to build up. I'm using a Shimano BB-MT800 and a SLX FC M7000-11-B2

my problem seems to be that the shaft doesn't seem quite long enough to fully attach the left crank arm. almost but not quite. I can't thread in the locknut on the left side. The BB came with 3 washers and I'm not sure if I can remove those to get the shaft through far enough or is that going to screw with my chain alignment? Currently I've got two washers on the right and 1 on the left. Any help would be appreciated!
    You should only be using 1 spacer on the drive side. The extra spacers are for 68 mm BB widths and need to use them all there. You should have a 73 mm BB and only need to use one spacer. Usually the single spacer goes on the drive side but can be put on the other side if the crank arm spacing by the chainstays need to be more balanced out or for a better chain line.
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2018 Banshee Prime
    2018 Banshee Rune
    2016 Hightower OG
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    fantastic. thank you so much! I'll remove the second spacer on the drive side and no spacer on the left side. that should do it!