Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    81

    no spiderless 180mm cranks?

    Hi Trying to find a way to run a 32t max oval chainring on my ss which is designed for round 32 tooth. This would be easy enough with a spiderless crank setup but I want 180mm cranks. And I cant find a 180mm spiderless crank. Is it just me or does it just not exist? (i've googled for 20 mins!)

  2. #2
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,919
    I keep emailing Raceface for 180mm Aeffects. Strength in numbers. Email em.
    I like turtles

  3. #3
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,855
    huh ? can find many spiderless 180 cranks. for bmx

    can you use bmx cranks?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    81
    Nyrr496 : ha did it.
    localhost : They are quite a bit heavier alas. Not a big weight weenie but nevertheless.

    I'm amazed the market appears that small.

  5. #5
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,919
    Thanks. Hopefully it will help.
    I like turtles

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ladljon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    313
    White Industries has the ENO 180's

  7. #7
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,913
    Why are we fixated on the spiderless thing? Plenty of oval rings for Shimano and standard 104 BCD stuff.

    Here's a few:

    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/coll...hainrings-oval

    https://www.blackspire.com/product-c...gletooth/oval/

    https://absoluteblack.cc/mtb-chainrings/

    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...top-chainrings

    Also, LMAO @ "20 whole minutes".

  8. #8
    Asswipe
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,133
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Why are we fixated on the spiderless thing? Plenty of oval rings for Shimano and standard 104 BCD stuff.

    Here's a few:

    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/coll...hainrings-oval

    https://www.blackspire.com/product-c...gletooth/oval/

    https://absoluteblack.cc/mtb-chainrings/

    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...top-chainrings

    Also, LMAO @ "20 whole minutes".
    ^ I agree, but only because I looked for weeks and came up empty handed.

    I also e-mailed RF asking for Turbine Cinch 180's, or anything really, no dice though. Ultimately I ended up buying Shimano XT cranks, two sets.

    There's nothing wrong with 4 bolt, but if I could have had direct mount I would have preferred that.

    The problem I had with the WI crank was that they (also) use a proprietary direct mount interface so you can only buy their chainrings. This is a HUGE mistake IMO. Otherwise I would have bought them. Actually it was my first choice as I prefer to buy Made in America, but that was a deal breaker for this application.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  9. #9
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,919
    I have Shimano XT 180mm cranks on one of my bikes. Love em. I want the Raceface Aeffects for my fat bikes.
    I like turtles

  10. #10
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,280
    Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    I'm amazed the market appears that small.
    It's because crank length doesn't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  11. #11
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ I agree, but only because I looked for weeks and came up empty handed.

    I also e-mailed RF asking for Turbine Cinch 180's, or anything really, no dice though. Ultimately I ended up buying Shimano XT cranks, two sets.

    There's nothing wrong with 4 bolt, but if I could have had direct mount I would have preferred that.

    The problem I had with the WI crank was that they (also) use a proprietary direct mount interface so you can only buy their chainrings. This is a HUGE mistake IMO. Otherwise I would have bought them. Actually it was my first choice as I prefer to buy Made in America, but that was a deal breaker for this application.
    Aren't they all proprietary? I suspect SRAM/RF/Hope/etc get a cut of their compatible DM rings made by folks like Wolftooth. If I had to guess, even Shimano's new bolt design is probably meant to cut down aftermarket ring production (it's the main reason I stick to their previous gen cranks). At a minimum it forces them to re-tool and the little guys can't always afford that.

    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    It's because crank length doesn't really matter.
    Not 100% sure I agree with this. I prefer 170mm just because I get fewer rock strikes on my FS rig. Otherwise, yeah, the difference is very small.

  12. #12
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,855
    crank length matters a ton if all you do is climb
    and take shuttle rides down just to climb again

    175mm to 180mm is huge I tell you.

    some people...


    for realz though, 5mm matters a lot for squeezing out the guatts on an ss
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  13. #13
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,280
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Not 100% sure I agree with this. I prefer 170mm just because I get fewer rock strikes on my FS rig. Otherwise, yeah, the difference is very small.
    I meant "matter" in an objective sense. Preference has no limit when it comes to what matters to some.

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    crank length matters a ton if all you do is climb
    and take shuttle rides down just to climb again
    If you mean gear ratio there are other ways to skin that cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    175mm to 180mm is huge I tell you.
    It's exactly 1% difference in total gear inches developed. Most riders have a hard time discerning the ~5% difference between a 17t and 18t cog.

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    for realz though, 5mm matters a lot for squeezing out the guatts on an ss
    All I ride is SS and I've ridden 180mm, 175mm, 172.5mm, and 170mm... it doesn't matter to me.
    Maybe I should clarify my point: 180 mm cranks don't offer anything but minute adjustments to gear ratio that can be achieved by other means and therefore the cost:benefit for producing them for the small minority of riders who prefer them says no go.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    81
    Its not about gear inches, its about how your feet and legs feel going round in circles.

    @noapathy, I'm fixated on spiderless because the bike fits 32tooth round exactly(well to a few mm). Oval that fits on 104 ends up not only too wide but almost all of them have offsets that interfere on the chainstay. And exactly how long should I have googled for this to make you happy?

  15. #15
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    @noapathy, I'm fixated on spiderless because the bike fits 32tooth round exactly(well to a few mm). Oval that fits on 104 ends up not only too wide but almost all of them have offsets that interfere on the chainstay. And exactly how long should I have googled for this to make you happy?
    As for search time, I could give a rip how long you spent but why bother putting it there at all? Should we feel sorry for you or something? Yeah, 20 minutes is pathetic.

    As for ovals, I've ridden both and so far my personal results lie somewhere between no difference and a slight edge to the round rings. Not buying any more, but to each their own.

    Crank length - the only diff I've noticed with 170 or 175 as mentioned is fewer pedal strikes. Feeling that pea, eh, princess?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    81
    Really? It takes longer than 20 mins for you to find what your looking for on google? I dont think theres any remedial classes for that.

  17. #17
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    Really? It takes longer than 20 mins for you to find what your looking for on google? I dont think theres any remedial classes for that.
    Nope. Good try though. Google a new attempt at an insult, maybe? I'll check back in a few days and see where you've gotten with it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OregonXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    As for search time, I could give a rip how long you spent but why bother putting it there at all? Should we feel sorry for you or something? Yeah, 20 minutes is pathetic.

    As for ovals, I've ridden both and so far my personal results lie somewhere between no difference and a slight edge to the round rings. Not buying any more, but to each their own.

    Crank length - the only diff I've noticed with 170 or 175 as mentioned is fewer pedal strikes. Feeling that pea, eh, princess?
    Donít be a jerk. Really want to know where to find 180mm direct cranks too. Being a jerk turns people off that could possibly help

  19. #19
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonXC View Post
    Donít be a jerk. Really want to know where to find 180mm direct cranks too. Being a jerk turns people off that could possibly help
    Merry Christmas.

Similar Threads

  1. HBC spiderless ring and Middleburn X-type cranks?
    By rasse1977 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM
  2. sram spiderless cranks???
    By mcd in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
  3. Spiderless chainring compatible cranks...
    By Slow Danger in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
  4. Cranks for spiderless chainring.
    By muell in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
  5. Square or external BB for spiderless cranks.
    By Lonecrow in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.