mtbr member
    Mar 2018

new 29'' wheelset

Hi, i am thinking to replace my 29'' wheelset so i could install wider tires.
    For my kind of riding i ended up to these two which both are for max 120kg and ASTM CATEGORY 3.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...700-spline-25/
    https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/xa-eli...html#1028=3283
    which would you suggest ?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sotak1 View Post
    Hi, i am thinking to replace my 29'' wheelset so i could install wider tires.
    For my kind of riding i ended up to these two which both are for max 120kg and ASTM CATEGORY 3.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...700-spline-25/
    https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/xa-eli...html#1028=3283
    which would you suggest ?

Thanks.
    I'd go at least 30mm inner(35 better) to get good performance at lower psi out of 2.35 and 2.4" higher volume rounded profile more modern design tires. So you have to pick the right tire too. A wider rim for the front wheel of say 40mm inner would allow you to experiment with lower pressures and 2.6-2.8" actual width tires. Dt is much better, imo, to Mavic especially considering Mavics use of 'special' parts.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What rims you need is going to depend on tire choice.

Up to 2.4 tires 25mm inner rims are perfect. 2.4 or bigger(especially bigger) you will want to go wider. FYI though 25mm inner rims are becoming standard width these days. The days of sub 20mm inner width mtb wheels are all but dead.

Tire profile has nothing to do with modern or not, has to do with tire design. Each is designed more square or more rounded depending on the type of riding they are meant for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

turtles make me hot
    I was running 2.2 and 2.35" tires on 35mm rims for a long time and LOVED the combination. I don't know that I would ever go back to a rim narrower than 35mm ever. MAYBE a 30.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had wider, very happy with 27mm inners I have on my latest set. I run 2.3.2.5 tires.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    i intend to use max 2.35/2.4 tyres on a 29er hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post

Tire profile has nothing to do with modern or not, has to do with tire design. Each is designed more square or more rounded depending on the type of riding they are meant for.
    Totally incorrect, my friend.
    Many Maxxis 2.35 or 2.4 tires and many Schwalbe 2.35 tires were designed back when 21mm inner width rims were the standard offering by manufacturers. Those designs aren't geared to 30mm rims and square off when you put them on wide rims. A tire like the Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35 has a wider carcass and tread pattern that is wide and more rounded. Put that on a 35mm rim and lower the pressure. It doesn't square off. It doesn't fold over at lower pressures. You get really good traction on a wide rim.

OP. Ask a Trek dealer about ordering this tire. It's priced pretty low. But it lasts.

mtbr member
    I had a Mavic Elite rear wheel for less than a month, couldn't get used to the flexy feeling back there every time I cornered. I chalked that up to the 24 spokes. I put a set of Stan's rims, 32H, and DT Swiss hubs and couldn't be happier. FWIW, I'm about 215 pounds geared up.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Totally incorrect, my friend.
    Many Maxxis 2.35 or 2.4 tires and many Schwalbe 2.35 tires were designed back when 21mm inner width rims were the standard offering by manufacturers. Those designs aren't geared to 30mm rims and square off when you put them on wide rims. A tire like the Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35 has a wider carcass and tread pattern that is wide and more rounded. Put that on a 35mm rim and lower the pressure. It doesn't square off. It doesn't fold over at lower pressures. You get really good traction on a wide rim.

OP. Ask a Trek dealer about ordering this tire. It's priced pretty low. But it lasts.
    Actually your completely incorrect. Even brand new tires only out the last couple years or so the profile varies widely. I have tires from several major brands. And cam function off more than the XR2.

The XR2 has been around for some time as well has many other rounded profile tires. And more square profiles designed for plus rims are made now as well.

Yes some old designs remain, but round versus square has OBSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how long the tire has been around. Its the intended discipline they are designed for.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by sotak1 View Post
    i intend to use max 2.35/2.4 tyres on a 29er hardtail

25/30mm inside would serve you well imho, it would also afford some additional protection from rim strikes.
    Last edited by life behind bars; 04-01-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: speeling
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just sent a pm, if you have boost, I have a brand new set of 29mm internal carbon wheels I'm selling on classifieds. cheers,
    W

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Actually your completely incorrect. Even brand new tires only out the last couple years or so the profile varies widely. I have tires from several major brands. And cam function off more than the XR2.

The XR2 has been around for some time as well has many other rounded profile tires. And more square profiles designed for plus rims are made now as well.

Yes some old designs remain, but round versus square has OBSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how long the tire has been around. Its the intended discipline they are designed for.

Ignore him, he cuts and pastes the same thing in every thread about wheels, tires, bikes- anything. I bet he can't wrap his mind around a brand new bike being released that can't 2.4 in the rear.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 04-02-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Narrowest tires I own are 2.8 lol. My plan was just to make the OP aware that tire preference plays a part on how wide of rims to go. Instead created a debate lol.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Narrowest tires I own are 2.8 lol. My plan was just to make the OP aware that tire preference plays a part on how wide of rims to go. Instead created a debate lol.

Everything on MTBR creates a debate. Or an outright flame war.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Everything on MTBR creates a debate. Or an outright flame war.
    I spent a few minutes thinking, your right. Never a discussion that doesnt end up with someone upset. Though truly here is SO MUCH MORE REASONABLE THAN SOCIAL MEDIA. Points and opinions here at least have some level of experience or knowledge to them.

But we all ride bikes. Debates and flaming come from frustrations of mother nature being a bipolar biatch and other things keeping us from riding.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm running 2.35 on my 21mm wheels for my XC. 2.6 on 29mm wheels. They both handle excellently.