Moving! I need a new large, high volume, and fast rear tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Moving! I need a new large, high volume, and fast rear tire

Moving to Redding CA which is a lot smoother and less rocky than where I'm an now. But does have some dust and decomposed granite so I'm looking for a tire that'll be nice for spring through fall. So I'm looking for a large (2.3 to 2.4), high volume and fast 29er tire. Weight isn't important as long as it isn't a 800g+.

Weirwolf LT 2.55 was one of my favorites and would fit the bill perfectly...except they redesigned it and its terrible now.

Ikon looks like it would fit the bill but its a bit on the small side. Eskar looks okay but not sure how slow it is. Is the Ardent my only choice?

I know I'm asking a lot out of a rear tire but can you lend me a hand? Thanks

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    By far the best choice is Schwalbe's Hans Dampf!!! The best tire I have put on my bike, I have only tried it on the rear (which it is fantastic there) I will have one on the front as well! I currently run a Nevegal on the front but it washes out in the turns much sooner than the Hans does!

Rod
    mtbr member
    This is a little smaller than what you asked for, but I am very hapy with my Race King 2.2 on the rear. Large volume, fast, and it grips great. 650 grams

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rod" View Post
    This is a little smaller than what you asked for, but I am very hapy with my Race King 2.2 on the rear. Large volume, fast, and it grips great. 650 grams
    I actually owned a Race King and was pleased with its speed and it was decently grippy. The reason I won't own it again is the sidewalls are like paper and it barely holds sealant.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Smaller as well, but the Geax AKA 2.2 might work for you.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Smaller as well, but the Geax AKA 2.2 might work for you.
    Agree......really like this tire, especially on the SS here in So. Cal.

They just wear out so quickly......especially on hard pack and DG trails.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Rides the Desert
    Purgatory 2.4 or Ground Control 2.3

I have an Eskar 2.3 rear but its kinda slow Ground Control will be the fastest of them

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph?

Nobby Nic?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ltk1144 View Post
    Purgatory 2.4 or Ground Control 2.3

I have an Eskar 2.3 rear but its kinda slow Ground Control will be the fastest of them
    I have a Purgatory on it now and while it doesn't roll bad I can definately feel it on pavement and hardpack. Looking for something a bit faster. Ground control looks cool but they don't make it in a 29x2.3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Ground control looks cool but they don't make it in a 29x2.3
    Rumor has it that 29 x 2.3 will be available this summer
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Geax Saguaro! Folding casing is under 700g and its not really all that much narrower than a weirwolf 2.55 LT. It also holds up well, and is cheap. I've got probably 2000 miles on mine and the tread and sidewalls still look just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    Geax Saguaro! Folding casing is under 700g and its not really all that much narrower than a weirwolf 2.55 LT. It also holds up well, and is cheap. I've got probably 2000 miles on mine and the tread and sidewalls still look just fine.
    +1 in the TNT casing.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Racing Ralph?

Nobby Nic?
    Yup, throw on one of the new RR 2.35's or NN 2.35's. Both have excellent rolling resistance. Forget all those iddy-biddy 2.2's everyone is mentioning.

BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Yup, throw on one of the new RR 2.35's or NN 2.35's. Both have excellent rolling resistance. Forget all those iddy-biddy 2.2's everyone is mentioning.

BB
    Wish they weren't $90 each , maybe a sale I shall seek.

Always Learning
    They are available a lot cheaper than that. Check eBay and/or Google the tires for shopping. Pretty easy to get them (with free shipping) in the $60-65 range.

BB

mtbr member
    Kenda small block eight 2.35 DTC compound weight just under 700 gram

also comes in a downhill compound same size but thicker tackier rubber at 1100 gram

schwalbe tires have always come in bigger sized and the racing ralph is a great tire.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Captain in a 2.2 is pretty large.

mtbr member
    Check the UK mail order shops.....Wiggle, Merlin, CRC etc.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I actually owned a Race King and was pleased with its speed and it was decently grippy. The reason I won't own it again is the sidewalls are like paper and it barely holds sealant.
    Get the new Protection version. Tubeless ready so it seals well and the sidewalls are decently stout. I have a couple of them and they are a much improved tire. the one I mounted was 647g.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Racing Ralphs prove to me to be the fastest rolling tire but hate their hookup and handling... at least compared to the hans damps. Nobby Nic seems to be right in the middle as far as weight and grip

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Kenda small block eight 2.35 DTC compound weight just under 700 gram
    Where did you find a 29x2.35 small block 8?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I'm in love with my Maxxis Aspen for a drive tyre in a 2.1, absolute speed demon still hooks up well in the corners, nice volume to it. The pay off being that it's sidewalls are paper thin, so you need to make sure your line choice is spot on, I haven't slashed one yet, but the possibility is there.

If you're after something a little sturdier, the 29er Maxxis Crossmarks come in a tubeless form, think they weigh in about the 700g mark and have much sturdier sidewalls, and great speed to them.

And now I read OP correctly, you're after wider tyres. Maxxis Ardent's, come in 2.4 and roll pretty quickly.

Nox Trailbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    I'm in love with my Maxxis Aspen for a drive tyre in a 2.1, absolute speed demon still hooks up well in the corners, nice volume to it. The pay off being that it's sidewalls are paper thin, so you need to make sure your line choice is spot on, I haven't slashed one yet, but the possibility is there.
    How about Maxxis Ikons with the EXO sidewall....Hi volume 2.2 , 587 g.
    I'm still trying to decide, this is one of my top picks. Ignitors are another.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Ikon's are a great tyre, I match an Ikon (front) with an Aspen (back) on my 29'er and I think it's a top notch combo. Get the EXO, I got the non-exo and I put a GREAT big tear in my sidewall last week. Probably the only thing that gets close would be Xking/Race King in ProTection TRT for fast rolling high grip combo.

I've never run ignitors, I hear good things in the grip department but I also hear they wear out quite quickly. The 3C Ikons have a lot of life in them, the tread wares VERY well. Actually my Aspens have worn out really well come to think of it, the tyre's probably seen around 500km of usage so far and apart from some scuffing and dirt it's still performing like it did the day I put it on. I'm pretty in love with the Aspen on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    Where did you find a 29x2.35 small block 8?
    He didn't. Must have meant in 26".

mtbr member
    I've been running the SW's 2.3 Ground Control tyres tubeless on my winter bike and they are excellent, great grip and not at all sluggish in the speed dept.
    On my summer bike i run the SW's1.9 and they are very quick for a nobby tyre.
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Check the UK mail order shops.....Wiggle, Merlin, CRC etc.
    German mailorder
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm on the East Coast, but used to ride in Redding a LONG time ago. So, I kind of know the terrain. I'm running a RaRa 2.25 in the front and an Ikon 2.2 in the rear. This is my favorite combo so far and would work really well in that area too. If you want a little more traction you could do a NN front / RaRa rear. My buddy just started running a Hans Dampf in the front and that thing seems to be the little brother to the Maxxis front tires I used to run on my motorcross bike!

Somethine else to consider. I'm not a lightweight (~190) and a friend/LBS owner steered me to use tires with sidewall protection (SnakeSkin, EXO, etc, etc). Even though they're usually a little heavier, I can run them at lower pressures without the loose squirmy feeling. SB8's and AKAs were really bad for this and Ignitor's could run lower, but seemed to have a very fine line.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Check out the Bontrager 29-2 2.35 TLR. I just installed one and it is true to size and fairly fast rolling. Reinforced sidewalls too.

Members who have read this thread: 0