Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35 on front- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35 on front

I've noticed most reviews of the Rekon Race is as a rear tire. Even the Maxxis site recommends an Aspen or regular Rekon for the front to pair with the Rekon Race.

I'm currently running an Aspen on front with the smaller Rekon race in the rear (2.2?).

I was wondering if the extra volume of the Rekon Race 2.35 would pair well with my current Rekon Race. I won one, so it would be a zero $ investment, just wondering if it's worth the time and would offer any benefits over the Aspen which is good, but I occasionally flat Aspens even in the EXO version.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    I'm also really interested on how the Rekon Race 2.35 fares as a front tyre

mtbr member
    Well, know it bares no real relevance, but Nino was running them F&R when they were in testing/proto form in 2017 and seem to do well on them. The Intense Sniper comes with them F&R and in looking at them on that bike, can't say I'd have an issue running them that way on an XC bike. Now if I wanted to do some more aggressive trail riding, then I'd consider throwing a regular Rekon on the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I know it's not what you asked but I've been running the Ikon 2.35 up front and the Rekon Race 2.35 on the rear of my hardtail for a little while. I even ran it at the Wilderness 101 this last weekend. Rolls fast and still corners well. I've been loving the combo.
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    If you got the tire for free, you might as well try it out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ran it F&R at both the Pisgah 111 and Wilderness 101k. My wife has been running it F&R for a while and prefers it over the Aspen. I normally like to run Aspen's in most situations but when certain courses are rocky or more flat prone I like the extra knob coverage and volume of the Rekon Race 2.35. For me, I do think the aspen corners slightly better and feels like it rolls faster but I haven't had any problems or complaints running the Rekon Race 2.35 as a front tire. Also, lately the ones I have been getting have been around 690g-710g. I know maxxis doesn't have the weight up on their site yet.

Where on the tire are you flatting? Exo is just a sidewall protection, so if you are flatting between knobs on the aspen then the Rekon Race would give you more coverage there.

Turns right, slides left
    I have found the Ikon 2.35 (Very different tire than the Ikon 2.2) up front combined with an Ardent Race 2.35 in the rear to be a great package for dry conditions- hard pack and loose over hard.

The Rekon Race and Ikon have similar tread patterns so as long as things are dry, you should be ok.The Rekon Race or Ikon would not be my choice in wet or loose conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    I ran it F&R at both the Pisgah 111 and Wilderness 101k. My wife has been running it F&R for a while and prefers it over the Aspen. I normally like to run Aspen's in most situations but when certain courses are rocky or more flat prone I like the extra knob coverage and volume of the Rekon Race 2.35. For me, I do think the aspen corners slightly better and feels like it rolls faster but I haven't had any problems or complaints running the Rekon Race 2.35 as a front tire. Also, lately the ones I have been getting have been around 690g-710g. I know maxxis doesn't have the weight up on their site yet.

Where on the tire are you flatting? Exo is just a sidewall protection, so if you are flatting between knobs on the aspen then the Rekon Race would give you more coverage there.
    Thanks Slim, what's the internal width of your rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    From a trade i got a Rekon 7 weeks ago, a + but i love it, fast with grip. So i read about it and many use 2 Rekons. I will do that when my front wears out.

I am Walt
    I just ordered a 2.35 and a 2.25 for my Pivot LES geared HT. Currently running Ikon 2.35 f/2.20 r, which I love, but want to try out the Rekons. I am running Rekon 2.4 WT's on my Yeti SB100, and really like those on my trail bike, so I want to explore the other Rekons as an alternative to the Ikons, which I know and love.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    This past weekend I put a Rekon Race 2.35" on the front and Aspen 2.25" as a rear. Very impressed with the combination. Previously I'd been running Rekon Races front and rear and also Aspens front and rear. The Rekon Race combo rolled noticeably slower but had more predictable grip. The Aspen was definitely faster rolling but I could never get it to bite in the corners the way the Rekon does.

With the Rekon Race (front) and Aspen (rear) I finally feel like I have confidence in the corners. In this configuration they both seem to break traction in a predictable manner.

FWIW I'm a heavier rider(200ish lbs) and the Aspen even in EXO always felt like the side knobs were mushy in the corners. The Rekon Race feels firmer. Our soils are mostly clayish hardpack in nature with a little loose sand on top depending on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post

I always ssem to flat the aspens with a sidewall puncture or tear. The Rekon seems to have a more robust sidewall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I will go ahead and mount the Rekon 2.35 on the Front and see how it works out. Thanks for all the posts!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am riding I9 trail 270 wheels 27 internal

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone want to provide any additional details or updates? Still liking Rekon Race 2.35 on the front?

What does it measure out to on a wide rim?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Anyone want to provide any additional details or updates? Still liking Rekon Race 2.35 on the front?

What does it measure out to on a wide rim?
    I continued to use the Rekon Race 2.35 on the front into the fall and really liked it. Prior to that I'd been running Aspens but they lacked cornering confidence for me. The Aspens felt like they rolled with less resistance but that is only a feeling and I haven't confirmed this with a roll down test. I also ran an Aspen in the rear and this worked well. At times I ran a Maxxis Tread lite in the rear when the course was very hard packed.

In retrospect and after looking at photos of my position on the bike I feel like the Rekon Race is a band-aid for me. For me it provides better cornering traction than the Aspen because I lack hamstring flexibility to properly weight the front of the bike. My goal over the winter is to improve flexibility so I don't need this tire as I feel it does roll slower than the Aspen or other XC race tires.

I can measure the Rekon Race and get back to you if you'd like. I have it mounted on DT XMC at 25mm internal. Not sure if this is wide enough for you.

mtbr member
    I have been running the Rekon race in the rear for close to a year. Recently I put it in the front and have been really impressed. I was replacing an Aspen which was decent but always was a bit unpredictable. Since switching to the Rekon that has changed. I find myself becoming more and more confident in how the tire hooks up. I did notice I have run just a tad less air pressure though. If it's to hard I would notice it would feel very slick as I would role from side to side in tight S-turns.
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

mtbr member
    Depends if you want to turn or not. I tried a Rekon race in the front and it pushed through turns...just not enough meat on the tread.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts or opinions on the Rekon Race vs Ikon for rear? Let's say 2.35 for either size...Assume a 2.4 Rekon front. Interested in a "fast" trail capable tire combo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Im running continental crosskings 2.3 that measure 2.5, they say its a better rear tire.

Im running them front and rear, and we ride all trail conditions including sloppy wet mud n clay and hardpack and rocky conditions, plus summer conditions. I have not had issue yet and there is no reason to switch to a more aggressive front pattern at my level.

It depends on how hard your actually pushing your current tread patterns

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm late to the party.......got a Scott Spark RC that came with 2.35 recon races front and rear. I was very apprehensive about the front since I tend to run real knobbies on the front of a xc bike. It feels pretty sketchy, kind of "floaty", but as long as you lean the bike in the corners, it's got surprising side bite. On real hard pack, it feels great. But most of our dirt is actually various sizes of gravel mixed with a little dirt. I've since replaced the tire with a 2.4 recon, and it's much more confidence inspiring. And the 2.4 recon is a good bit smaller. Weird......
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been running the Rekon 2.4 on the front, 30mm front rim and Rekon 2.25 rear, on a 27mm rim on a Yeti ASRc and it works well here in the front range of Colorado. Roll well and good traction in all but heavy mud. I used to run Ardent F&R and like the Rekons better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Im running continental crosskings 2.3 that measure 2.5, they say its a better rear tire.

Im running them front and rear, and we ride all trail conditions including sloppy wet mud n clay and hardpack and rocky conditions, plus summer conditions. I have not had issue yet and there is no reason to switch to a more aggressive front pattern at my level.

It depends on how hard your actually pushing your current tread patterns
    how wide are your rims