mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Just stick with DHF/DHR2 or go lighter?

I just moved my Pivot Switchblade over to 29 after running 27+ for 6 months and am running DHF 2.3/DHR2 2.3. Wow these are incredible tires for traction - it feels like more than the plus tires i was running (at first Rekon 2.8 then WTB Ranger 3.0). Prior to that I had a 26" bike so I've never run 29er tires with so much rubber before. I live in northern VA and do a mix of XC and chunkier stuff like Gambrill/Watershed/Fountainhead if you know the area. Rims are 25mm internal DT.

So should I just stick with the DHF/DHR2 and suck up the weight (about half to 3/4 lb compared to some lighter tires)? Or try something else lighter? I weigh about 140 at 5'8" so not much weight to lose on myself.

I was thinking maybe Forekaster front, Ardent Race rear? Widest they have with EXO. That would be a lot lighter. But looking for ideas. thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would have both sets and use them depending on the season/ use. Hard to beat DHF/DHR2 in terms of grip.
    If there's lower rolling resistance that you're after you will compromise on grip for sure.
    Ardent Race/ Forecaster is a good set, what are you trying to accomplish?
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Michelin Wild AM 2.35 up front & a Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 out back ^^

The Wild AM blows up close to spec. The FK is quite a bit undersized.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Donít go lighter, not worth it. Tires are wrong place to sacrifice imo.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I used to ride Gambrill all the time. My Switchblade did not like lighter tires. Iíve tried a variety of tires including the setup you have and I ended up going a little bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ride Gambrill and Watershed. Those rock will eat up the Forkaster. I really like the tire in the rear but go through the knobs quick. I just started trying an Agressor. I like it with DHR2 up front. But soon will be the season to change it out for another DHR2.

WillWorkForTrail
    I rode the DHF/DHR combo on the switchbalde I demo'd a couple weeks ago. I honestly think how much grip they have and how they roll is probably dependent on what your trail surface looks like. To me, they had only slightly more traction than my normal Ardent 2.4 front Ardent Race 2.25 rear combo, but they rolled much, much slower. As in I actually felt like the tires were holding me back on the downhills where I demo'd. For Northern VA I would only go so much lighter - if you're looking at Maxxis, EXO is a must. But I think something that rolls better would be a good choice. The DHx tires have not impressed me at all.

mtbr member
    OP, I guess it all depends on if you like to walk your bike or ride it To me if you're riding sharp rocks, the chance of cutting a tyre casing is not worth a few grams saved, that being said, you might fear better than I did with my Forekaster on i29 rims with your i25 rims. I basically got the FK just before a trip to CO end of last summer, rode it there for 4 days without any issues, but once back home on our coral, managed to cut the sidewall just above the bead and couldn't get it to seal, but I did like it enough to run it tubed for quite a while after. If the tread of a 2.35 Ikon will work for you out back, the casing is a bit more robust than the 2.35" FK.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I rode the DHF/DHR combo on the switchbalde I demo'd a couple weeks ago. I honestly think how much grip they have and how they roll is probably dependent on what your trail surface looks like. To me, they had only slightly more traction than my normal Ardent 2.4 front Ardent Race 2.25 rear combo, but they rolled much, much slower. As in I actually felt like the tires were holding me back on the downhills where I demo'd. For Northern VA I would only go so much lighter - if you're looking at Maxxis, EXO is a must. But I think something that rolls better would be a good choice. The DHx tires have not impressed me at all.
    Most trails in NVA and MoCo are hard pack with some roots. Lighter tires and less aggressive tread work well. Upper part of the States are a lot more rocky and you carry more speed if you have the grip. I'd use the aggressive thicker tires there.