I26 or i30 for xc/trail usage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

I26 or i30 for xc/trail usage

Want a more xc oriented speedy 29 wheelset for my genius tuned. Have a 27.5 i30 that runs 2.8 rekons and will use that set for nore burly and liftbased stuff. Love those tyres tyres but it's a tad draggy for more xc style riding.

I love the mavic xa pro carbon i have in my ht so i am set on that wheelset. 2018 models is i26 with its4 and 2019 is i30 with 360 hub.
    I am 72kg. I was planning to run some fast rekon race 2.35 rear and perhaps some ikon/rekon 2.6 front. What do you recommend as inner widths?

As I prefer its4 better poe and trust its4 I already have a i26 rearwheel stand by. It can be returned if needed. And was planning a i30 2019 model for the front. I am in doubt if I should go i30 also in rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Light Bicycle has a very simple table for tire size / rim width compatibility here:
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...cycle-rim.html

According to them, an i25 rim is good for tires from 2.1" to 2.5-2.7", while an i30 rim is good for 2.3" to 2.5-2.7" tires. I'm sure you can make this much more complicated, but I'd say the i26 rim is good for what you want to do, although the i30 rim would give a wider (and arguable better) footprint for the tire sizes you are considering.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I'd go i25 for that. I use i25 for my XC 29er setup to keep it fast. I run as skinny as 2.1 and as wide as 2.35, they work excellent with both. For only up to a 2.35, I would not go i30.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

monster member
    Another vote for the I26 or I24 or whatever; for front and back for xc/trail since you already have i30 for trail/enduro.

But I'm not really much of a believer in fat tires, and so not much of a need for fat rims, so take this opinion for what it's worth. ;-)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanx for the input guys. I know this sounds a bit hysterical, and I make this complicated, but my experience is you can actually feel if the rim is to wide or to narrow. I think there is a sweet spot. It's all personal and about tyre and situation.

I will never go smaller than 2.35 as the genius is specced for 2.4 to 2.6 for 29. I think i26 is perfect for 2.35 non wt tyre as the rekon race but perhap it kind of limits future upgradability?
    I want to keep this 10 years plus and want to be sure I can use it on the future tires. I know...bit difficult to predict or what?

On my ht xc wheelset I run 2.1/2.35 on i26 and it's super. Just to give some impression of my preferabilities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It depends on the tire you choose. 2.35 tires are all very different. It's worthless to generalize with a chart.
    Terrain and speed make a big difference too.
    The thicker and heavier sidewall you need the skinnier the rim to match it.
    And the higher the pressure you run.

Some 2.35s were originally designed when 19-21mm rims were the norm. Their tread profile roundness can get squared off if you run them on wide 30-35mm rims. The outer knobs will dig when cornering.
    Some newer tires may have been designed with higher volume and a more rounded tread profile. Those tires can create a big footprint with lower pressure on a wide rim that supports the tire sidewall. The sidewall will wrinkle instead of folding over in cornering. There's the bigger footprint. This gives you a slower more controllable side-out.
    My favorite tires for the terrain and uses you've outlined are pretty fast rolling on par with Nobby Nics. But they last longer. Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35s. They also have 120tpi sidewalls for better flexibility. High volume with a very rounded tread profile. 35mm inner for this tire. 40mm for the 2.6. I've run these tires since 2014. Other tires may also be good choices.

I also don't support Mavic wheels. They use proprietary spokes and hubs that don't offer enough offsetting benefits. They're a mid level road bike wheel source at best. Build your own carbon wheels with Sapim spokes and nipples and Dt hubs. Chinese carbon rims from CarbonFan or BTLOS are so close to spec they require minimal truing when you lace them. They're the easiest for a first time builder.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    It depends on the tire you choose. 2.35 tires are all very different. It's worthless to generalize with a chart.
    Terrain and speed make a big difference too.
    The thicker and heavier sidewall you need the skinnier the rim to match it.
    And the higher the pressure you run.

Some 2.35s were originally designed when 19-21mm rims were the norm. Their tread profile roundness can get squared off if you run them on wide 30-35mm rims. The outer knobs will dig when cornering.
    Some newer tires may have been designed with higher volume and a more rounded tread profile. Those tires can create a big footprint with lower pressure on a wide rim that supports the tire sidewall. The sidewall will wrinkle instead of folding over in cornering. There's the bigger footprint. This gives you a slower more controllable side-out.
    My favorite tires for the terrain and uses you've outlined are pretty fast rolling on par with Nobby Nics. But they last longer. Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35s. They also have 120tpi sidewalls for better flexibility. High volume with a very rounded tread profile. 35mm inner for this tire. 40mm for the 2.6. I've run these tires since 2014. Other tires may also be good choices.

I also don't support Mavic wheels. They use proprietary spokes and hubs that don't offer enough offsetting benefits. They're a mid level road bike wheel source at best. Build your own carbon wheels with Sapim spokes and nipples and Dt hubs. Chinese carbon rims from CarbonFan or BTLOS are so close to spec they require minimal truing when you lace them. They're the easiest for a first time builder.

Tuned in.

I'm in a similar situation in determining rear rim width, i26 or i29.

I plan on sticking with 2.4" tires that seem to be made for wider rims, spcifically the Bonti XR/SE4.

Like the OP I'd want the ability to also run 2.6" tires. On that point, I know that 2.6" tires feel alot better on a rim at least i30. The benefit of the 2.6" is being able to run low psi. Without the sidewall support of a wider rim they just don't feel right.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Tuned in.

I plan on sticking with 2.4" tires that seem to be made for wider rims, spcifically the Bonti XR/SE4.

Like the OP I'd want the ability to also run 2.6" tires. On that point, I know that 2.6" tires feel alot better on a rim at least i30. The benefit of the 2.6" is being able to run low psi. Without the sidewall support of a wider rim they just don't feel right.
    On my AM/Enduro bike, I run up to 2.5, where i30 seems to work very well. One caveat though is that I bought a minion DHF 2.3 with the thought of replacing my front tire, I could not get that thing to roll over on edge on my rim, it was exactly as described above, designed for a skinnier rim, and the profile wasn't rounded enough for me to change direction/switch lines. I switched it to the rear and was back in business, going with a more rounded and slightly bigger front tire.

I run maxxis icon 2.35s on my 29er on my i25 and that's like magic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ran Racing Ralph 2.35's on I30's and there was not enough rim protection period. Currently have I25 rims running a front Bontrager 2.6 & a Maxxis 2.25 rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    On my AM/Enduro bike, I run up to 2.5, where i30 seems to work very well. One caveat though is that I bought a minion DHF 2.3 with the thought of replacing my front tire, I could not get that thing to roll over on edge on my rim, it was exactly as described above, designed for a skinnier rim, and the profile wasn't rounded enough for me to change direction/switch lines. I switched it to the rear and was back in business, going with a more rounded and slightly bigger front tire.

I run maxxis icon 2.35s on my 29er on my i25 and that's like magic.
    This whole 'what tire works on what rim' is becoming a headache. It seems like the manufacturer will need to specify for each specific tire what range of rim widths they recommend the tire to be used on. And even if they do that, people will still debate it based on their own experience/opinion.

In all fairness, I'm guessing most people won't really notice or care. I'm wondering if I really will....

The ironic part is that there was a very similar discussion 8-10 years ago where spreadsheets were being created to record what tires were compatible with what rims when setup tubeless. That whole issue has pretty much gone away thankfully. I guess it should give me hope that rim width/tire width compatibility will get simpler given some time.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I ran Racing Ralph 2.35's on I30's and there was not enough rim protection period. Currently have I25 rims running a front Bontrager 2.6 & a Maxxis 2.25 rear.
    I swear you can cut the sidewall on the Racing Ralphs if you look at 'em funny....

mtbr member
    I30 for me on anything 2.3 and larger and some smaller tires that have a large volume casing for their size (2.2 ikon, 2.2 rekon etc).

For the most part on 2.2 and below, I want to be on ~ i26. I don't see any reason for a mtb wheel smaller then i26. Even road bikers are now running 28c tires on 21mm iw wheels and 23mm iw for 32-35c. Absolutely no reason to run a tire 1.5-2x larger on a wheel that size.

Hitching a ride
    "c" is not a unit of measurement dude. If you mean mm just say mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    "c" is not a unit of measurement dude. If you mean mm just say mm.
    Simmer down forum cop. Road tires are referred to in c sizing up to 37c-40c and then we leave the cyclocross world and transfer over into the real measurement world of mtb. I'm sorry that my reference to the tires as they are listed within the industry offended you and made my post totally intelligible to you and everyone else on this forum. Because of this, the advice i gave is obviously completely useless and should be totally ignored. I'm super glad people like you are here to donate their time correcting all of the injustices of each and every post so that you can make sure people only refer to things as you see fit.

Ride safe and hopefully don't be too furious at all the terrible posting injustices you have to police.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Tuned in.

If you know you'll be running the Bonti 2.4 - 2.6 tires they were designed around a 30i rim.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Simmer down forum cop. Road tires are referred to in c sizing up to 37c-40c and then...
    Haha, wrong. A 700c road tire would be 700c x 37mm. If you have received a diploma you need to contact the issuing organization and demand a refund.

Also a clever man wouldn't neg rep a poster in a technical forum for helping him not look like a moron. But thanks for doubling down for all to see.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Tuned in.

I think you answered our dilemma. We have a crop of new 2.4 on market that was designed for i30 and as you for eg. the 2.6 rekon I use it definitively works better on i30.
    I think that goes for most if not all new 2.4/2.6 tires?
    New non wt tyres as rekon race will not be optimal on i30 at least for lighter riders and more xc purpose but it will be very close. I think I will trade some speed for more futureproofing and flexibility to eg. try tyres like xr2/xr4 that definitively demands wider rims. It seems to me xc is settling for i25/26 and trail for i30-35. So atm I tilt slightly more towards i30 for this situation.
    Thanx guys. Lots of good argument and open to new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Haha, wrong. A 700c road tire would be 700c x 37mm. If you have received a diploma you need to contact the issuing organization and demand a refund.

Also a clever man wouldn't neg rep a poster in a technical forum for helping him not look like a moron. But thanks for doubling down for all to see.
    I usually don't feed trolls that just forum shit and don't add anything to discussions but wtf... since you seem to have nothing better to do (like ride a bike maybe), I'll play ball.

Hold my beer (i got this) while I call up maxxis and schwalbe and ask them to change how they list their tires. As I said before, this is how mfg's in the industry are referring to their tires. I didn't proclaim to be some sort of expert on the standards... I'm just using the tire listing as they are shown in most mfg catalogs. Again, as I stated before, it's not as if this clarification made my post un-intelligible. For the purpose of this thread, you have added nothing to it, and now you've sucked me into dragging this discussion down, so thanks for that, that was worth a negative props.

Sorry to offend you and create this horrible first world injustice that had to be corrected. Go outside, take a deep breath, make some friends... everything will be ok, trust me.

I26 or i30 for xc/trail usage-road-tire-sizes.jpg
    I26 or i30 for xc/trail usage-screenshot_2.jpg

In an effort to move this thread back on course... The comment about riding weight is interesting. I'm about 185lbs geared and I've found that with my riding style, there is no way to run the pressures on my bikes that I read about some people running. Anything under 26psi is just constant sidewall folding and rim strikes. Some times I wonder if that's what is leading people to shy away from non WT casing tires on 27-30 iw wheels.

I do agree that for xc riding and for tires 2.1-2.3 - 26mm iw works just dandy an usually comes with a nice weight at a lower price. That being said, I really like a 2.3 DHF/DHR on an 29-30 iw wheel. Especially for a ripper short travel trail bike.

Hitching a ride
    Yes, also bicycle magazine writers and website monkeys use the wrong terminology or confusing terminology. That is why this is so confusing for poor readers.

If you look at the Maxxis list you posted, under the cyclocross tires, you see the Speed Terrane is listed in 28x33mm and 700x33c. So they have taken the "c" from the 700 and moved it to the end, perhaps to save space. But for the 28" tires the c is gone.

Same for the Schwalbe, you'll see there is no "c" when 700 is not mentioned.

So if you are just referring to the carcass size, "c" is not a unit of measurement. "c" is referring to the diameter of the WHEEL.

It isn't that big of a deal until people start confusing 650b with 700c which is happening now that both are used on gravel bikes.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable technical information.