Hunt Race xc wide wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Hunt Race xc wide wheels

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading my stock wheels on my scott spark rc and I trying to do it on the cheap. Although I could maybe get a wheel build from my local bike shop, I've come across the Hunt Race XC wide wheelset and they seem like a great deal, decently wide for a xc race bike and pretty light. My only fear is that the hub might be not so reliable and that they wheels are flexy.

There seem to be no review out there, anyone has any experience with the wheelset?

Any opinions is welcomed!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hunt is a reputable company and I don't think you'll find anything near that weight for the price. I'd be willing to give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    While not as light, it's DT Swiss for less.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-M-...72.m2749.l2649

Got these for my son's bike.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the comments, still hope to have first impression from someone who actually rode the wheels. The price on the website appears good but once you factor it duty and taxes the wheelset comes in at about 800$ Canadian dollars or justy about 600 USD. Perhaps at that price other option would be available?

Wanna ride bikes?
    For $600 US I could build some pretty sweet wheels. I'm skeptical of any aluminum wheelset at that weight.

A quick check of the specs shows they're narrow, super light for aluminum, 28h, and the hubs are an unknown to me.

If you weigh 135lbs I bet they're reasonably good.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Bumping this- anyone riding these? Getting close to pulling the trigger on these for my Chisel, which is built mostly for super mellow single track, mix of dirt/paved roads, and cruising around with kids.

Stock Rovals have the generic Specialized low-engagement 3-pawl hubs and are boat anchors!

$370 to my door is REALLY tempting. Do they ever have discount codes? If I could get even 10% off I'd try these out...
    '19 Yeti SB130
    '18 Kona Honzo CR

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Bumping this- anyone riding these? Getting close to pulling the trigger on these for my Chisel, which is built mostly for super mellow single track, mix of dirt/paved roads, and cruising around with kids.

Stock Rovals have the generic Specialized low-engagement 3-pawl hubs and are boat anchors!

$370 to my door is REALLY tempting. Do they ever have discount codes? If I could get even 10% off I'd try these out...
    Really, you need to save $37 on a complete wheelset at this price? Just pretend they're actually $407 but on sale.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Really, you need to save $37 on a complete wheelset at this price? Just pretend they're actually $407 but on sale.
    It’s really just psychological, I always feel like I am leaving $ on the table when I can’t find a discount code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '19 Yeti SB130
    '18 Kona Honzo CR

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ive just fitted a set to my 2018 rocky mountain element. the fit and finish is excellent. only one ride so far but that rear hub engagement is fantastic. they felt stiff enough and no real pinging of spokes so i would argue they have been well QC in the factory. no long term observations here but my hunt gravel wheels have been flawless in 4 years of hell!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    ive just fitted a set to my 2018 rocky mountain element. the fit and finish is excellent. only one ride so far but that rear hub engagement is fantastic. they felt stiff enough and no real pinging of spokes so i would argue they have been well QC in the factory. no long term observations here but my hunt gravel wheels have been flawless in 4 years of hell!
    How much do you weigh?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    A friend of mine has been on a set for 3-4 weeks. He's been super happy with them. He is on a hardtail riding them in the New England. He said engagement is great, they are stiff, and tubeless was easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

I pulled the trigger on these today, I’ll update here when I receive them and have a chance to install/ride.

'19 Yeti SB130
    '18 Kona Honzo CR

mtbr member
    I just saw something where Hunt issued a voluntary recall on some of its wheels due to breakage.
    Are only sticks out in my mind because I had never heard of them before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I just saw something where Hunt issued a voluntary recall on some of its wheels due to breakage.
    Are only sticks out in my mind because I had never heard of them before.
    I saw that, it was on one of their road wheel models. Appreciate the heads up!

Received my wheels last Friday (ordered on Tuesday!!) and went on my first ride with them Saturday. Wheels appear well-built, and tubeless setup was super easy. They’re a noticeable improvement over the stock wheels on my Chisel- they’re about ~300g lighter with significantly quicker engagement. Rode 15 miles on rutted single and double track with about 2k feet of climbing and set several climbing PRs on a very hot afternoon.

All in all, very satisfied so far. Time will tell whether they are durable, easily serviceable, etc. But they appear to be a great value given the price point. Will try to remember to update here as I get more miles on them.

'19 Yeti SB130
    '18 Kona Honzo CR

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    I saw that, it was on one of their road wheel models. Appreciate the heads up!

Received my wheels last Friday (ordered on Tuesday!!) and went on my first ride with them Saturday. Wheels appear well-built, and tubeless setup was super easy. They’re a noticeable improvement over the stock wheels on my Chisel- they’re about ~300g lighter with significantly quicker engagement. Rode 15 miles on rutted single and double track with about 2k feet of climbing and set several climbing PRs on a very hot afternoon.

All in all, very satisfied so far. Time will tell whether they are durable, easily serviceable, etc. But they appear to be a great value given the price point. Will try to remember to update here as I get more miles on them.

Any updates on these wheels? How are they performing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photomadnz View Post
    Any updates on these wheels? How are they performing?
    No complaints- I don’t really think about them, which is really the highest praise I can give a set of wheels.

I’ve put about 700 miles on them on a mix of pavement, gravel, and mild singletrack. They’re on the full rigid Chisel pictured, so not very aggressive riding, FWIW.

Added a few oz of Orange Seal last week, but otherwise haven’t touched ‘em!

'19 Yeti SB130
    '18 Kona Honzo CR