mtbr member
    Nov 2018

How bad are Suntour forks with yellow sticker on them?

I wonder how bad are Suntour forks with yellow sticker on them? I mean the mtb forks that have a sticker on them with some text like: “do not use them on mountain, only on country roads”.
    So you buy a mtb with such a fork and you a not allowed to use it on mountain, and using them on mountain voids the warranty, than why they name them mtb, shouldn’t be named countrybike?
    The only bikes that I can afford as new ($300-$450) have forks with yellow sticker.
    Are these forks so bad that is impossible to be used on hills, or is only the manufacturer that tries to offer a limited warranty by discouraging the heavy use of the forks?
    Any of you tried to use them on moderate hills? How they work? I can’t afford more expensive fork brands like Rockshock or Fox but I am scared of the warning on the yellow sticker. Are they useless on anything than country gravel roads?

mtbr member
    Sometimes color of the sticker is to match the frame, you need to find out what series is, sometimes it says on the sticker like xcr, xc, etc. No expensive bikes can comes with coil fork not air.
    SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The models suntour xct, or xcm or xcr all have the yellow sticker. The sticker doesn’t show the model, the sticker is only with a text of warning do not use on mountain ride because you void the warranty. Here is the image of the scary sticker:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12104272/
    Are they serious?

Cycologist
    You can use them on moderate hills as long as they are smooth paths. They won't hold up to riding over chunky rocks, roots, logs, ruts, etc. I would consider a used bike if I were you.

Ah, I see you are in Romania so it may be difficult to find a good used bike. Sorry, I don't know what is available to you. If you are wanting to ride on some rougher trails, you'd probably be better off with a rigid (no suspension at all) bike but again, I don't know what you have available or what your trails are like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    Sometimes color of the sticker is to match the frame, you need to find out what series is, sometimes it says on the sticker like xcr, xc, etc. No expensive bikes can comes with coil fork not air.
    He's not talking about the decals. That yellow sticker...probably something like the one below warning not to use for offroad/mtb/rough stuff (several variations around) means just what it says. Luckily for OP, freeride and dirt jumping aren't where beginner riders start.

How bad are Suntour forks with yellow sticker on them?-warningsticker.jpg

OP, if you want to ride that type of fork on rough trails it'll sort of work for a while, but not all that well and it'll die an early death. Luckily, Suntour has an upgrade program for people who buy bikes with their forks on them. Look up "Suntour upgrade program". Around $200 to upgrade to a decent one IIRC. Not sure it's available worldwide, so check it out. The other route is getting something used that's been well maintained. You usually get about twice the bike but obviously no warranty or LBS support if something goes wrong.

Cycologist
    Ahh, OP was posting the link to the sticker as I was posting. As per noapathy, it should be ok to start riding as long as you're not pounding it really hard. If it says something more like your original post, “do not use them on mountain, only on country roads”, then you'll need to stick to smoother surfaces or it will get trashed really quick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    He's not talking about the decals. That yellow sticker...probably something like the one below warning not to use for offroad/mtb/rough stuff (several variations around) means just what it says. Luckily for OP, freeride and dirt jumping aren't where beginner riders start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warningsticker.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	1237746

OP, if you want to ride that type of fork on rough trails it'll sort of work for a while, but not all that well and it'll die an early death. Luckily, Suntour has an upgrade program for people who buy bikes with their forks on them. Look up "Suntour upgrade program". Around $200 to upgrade to a decent one IIRC. Not sure it's available worldwide, so check it out. The other route is getting something used that's been well maintained. You usually get about twice the bike but obviously no warranty or LBS support if something goes wrong.
    Do they have the upgrade program when the previous Suntour fork is new (the one with yellow sticker)? I mean do I have to trade in the new fork and an extra $200 in order to upgrade the fork, or can upgrade with $200 after the end of life of the previous fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ahh, OP was posting the link to the sticker as I was posting. As per noapathy, it should be ok to start riding as long as you're not pounding it really hard. If it says something more like your original post, “do not use them on mountain, only on country roads”, then you'll need to stick to smoother surfaces or it will get trashed really quick.
    I don’t want to buy a mtb for smooth roads, for those roads are road bikes. I mean it doesn’t make sense.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by adenew View Post
    I don’t want to buy a mtb for smooth roads, for those roads are road bikes. I mean it doesn’t make sense.
    What's the bike make and model? Very low-end forks aren't exactly constructed for mountain bike trails. You are better off searching Pink Bike or Craigslist for a used bike in your budget. You can find some good ones with better forks.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    All the brands, even the famous brands for models under $500, all have suntour forks and the bikes are sold as mtb not as road bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    1 Minute Ago
    All the brands, even the famous brands for models under $500, all have suntour forks and the bikes are sold as mtb not as road bikes

mtbr member
    The sticker says it's for leisure cross country and that's pretty accurate. You can take it on cross country style mtb trails that are relatively tame (as in no real jumps or drops, don't try to plow through a rock garden at 20 mph, etc).

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I wonder for tame trails is there any need of suspension fork or rigid fork would be way better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adenew View Post
    I wonder for tame trails is there any need of suspension fork or rigid fork would be way better?
    Yeah, good question. No suspension is better than poor suspension, that is true.

Bikesexual
    ^^Fully agree with rigid vs. crappy fork. I rode on of those Suntour forks when I started, I wish I had known, rigid would have been much better.

The $200.00 upgrade you don't have to ship the original fork. You pay for the new one and they ship it. Not sure how world wide that is though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    ^^Fully agree with rigid vs. crappy fork. I rode on of those Suntour forks when I started, I wish I had known, rigid would have been much better.

The $200.00 upgrade you don't have to ship the original fork. You pay for the new one and they ship it. Not sure how world wide that is though.
    Thank you. Is nice to have an upgrade program for a decent upgrade price but I haven’t find anything like that for Europe, it seems that Suntour Upgrade Program is only for US.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those forks don't have adjustable rebound damping. This means they can pogo when you go over closely spaced rocks and roots at speed. This can make it hard to hold on to the bars and can make you more likely to lose control and crash.
    Inside the fork these have plastic bushings instead of metal. If you run them hard over multiple rocks/roots/bumps the bushings will start to quickly fail. You'll see black grease rings around the stanchions. They aren't rebuildable. The grease is lube for the spring.
    If you stay on smooth trails and bike paths the forks can last for awhile no problem.
    That's why Suntour tells you to stay off mt bike trails. They make other forks that work fine on trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ah, I see you are in Romania so it may be difficult to find a good used bike.
    Romania is not a third world country or the end of the civilised world.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    Romania is not a third world country or the end of the civilised world.
    Hence why I said "may be difficult" and "I don't know what is available to you."