Help finding suspension fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help finding suspension fork

So, Im looking for a bouncy fork for my fully rigid Stooge Mk3. Would be my first suspension fork; so excuse my ignorance.

Wishlist: 9x100 QR, 51mm offset, 120mm travel and room for some bigger tires. Im currently running 29x2.6 up front which I would like to keep doing, maybe even try out 2.8 someday.

The one that seems to tick most boxes is the RockShox 30 Gold RL, but specs have it at a 2.4 at max tire size.

Anyone know if I could squeeze bigger tires in the above mentioned fork, or have any suggestion for a fork that fit my needs?

Many thanks.

since 4/10/2009
    For any halfway decent squishy fork with disc brakes, you def want a thru axle if you can swing it. Lots of brands abandoned qr for halfway decent suspension forks quite some time ago.

For larger tires like 2.6 and 2.8, you're going to need extra width, too. boost 110 is pretty standard and really expands tire width options above 2.4.

What's your front wheel/hub? Depending on what it is, it may be possible to convert it to fit such a fork.

mtbr member
    Yeah, guess I really needed that to be spelled out for me.

The wheels are from my old and sold Kona Unit 15, and the only thing I know about the hubs is that theyre Joytech.

With that said, I have been thinking about upgrading the wheels for a wider footprint. My initial idea was to keep the spending to the a minimum/most necessary, but perhaps this would be a good time upgrade at least the front wheel.

Many thanks for the quick reply. I guess Ill do some research for a new wheel as well now..

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jocke View Post
    Yeah, guess I really needed that to be spelled out for me.

The wheels are from my old and sold Kona Unit 15, and the only thing I know about the hubs is that theyre Joytech.

With that said, I have been thinking about upgrading the wheels for a wider footprint. My initial idea was to keep the spending to the a minimum/most necessary, but perhaps this would be a good time upgrade at least the front wheel.

Many thanks for the quick reply. I guess Ill do some research for a new wheel as well now..
    As someone who has been on the rigid bike and put a suspension fork on it, I may be able to save you some hassle. That big front tire is really nice when the bike is rigid. With the fork, a lot (but not all) of the advantages are lost in the suspension fork - or even become liabilities. Then you're just left with a heavier tire and all that entails. So you may want to stay focused on the 2.4-2.6 size. Even on my FS I've 2.6 tires nice.