mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Headset "knocking" - adjustment

hopefully i'm posting this in the ride section.

Yesterday, i put a new stem on my bike and go through the usual steps to tighten everything down (steerer tube end about 4mm below top of the stem, tighten top cap until no play, then tighten stem bolts).

Afterward, i did the usual test - left hand holding front brake lever, and right hand on bottom of headtube / top of fork.

When i move the bike back and forth, everything feels tight for my right hand - no feeling of movement or knocking. However, i can feel some slight "knocking" on my left hand through the handlebar.

Since i can't feel any knocking from my hand on the headtube/fork section, should i assume everything is tight and good to go, and ignore whatever knocking i was feeling on the handlebar while rocking the bike?

NOt sure if anyone has this happened before or not....
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brake pads can shift in the caliper and give the sensation of a loose headset. You can also add a taller spacer for the tightening procedure then install shorter after tightened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Do you have cable housings that run internal to the frame? Sometimes it can be the cable housing clicking against the inside somewhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Brake pads can shift in the caliper and give the sensation of a loose headset. You can also add a taller spacer for the tightening procedure then install shorter after tightened.
    ah, didn't even think about brake pad shifting. I'll look into that tonight when i get home.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    Do you have cable housings that run internal to the frame? Sometimes it can be the cable housing clicking against the inside somewhere.
    No, all my cable routing are external. I did check that and didn't notice any cable rubbing/knocking from what i can see.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wheel axle tight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Wheel axle tight?
    Yup - all tight
    Kona Process 153 29er

Combat Wombat
    What Keen said. Feeling the brake pads shifting while holding the brakes and rocking the bike back and forth is normal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another test is to turn the bars 90 degrees and rock back and forth with no brake. Or simply drop the front end and listen for a rattle. Bear in mind that brakes rattle too but it is a different sound.

A couple years back I put a new fork on my bike and I couldn’t keep the headset tight. I use a Oneup EDC so no star nut but the headset was fine on the Pike with a Chromag BZA stem. The new fork is a DVO Diamond. The LBS Loaned me a cheaper Bontrager stem with far fewer lightening holes and problem solved. We concluded that the BZA with its skeletal design combined with perhaps a more slick DVO steer tube was the cause. So possibly the new stem has not got enough surface area to hold?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Another test is to turn the bars 90 degrees and rock back and forth with no brake. Or simply drop the front end and listen for a rattle. Bear in mind that brakes rattle too but it is a different sound.

A couple years back I put a new fork on my bike and I couldn’t keep the headset tight. I use a Oneup EDC so no star nut but the headset was fine on the Pike with a Chromag BZA stem. The new fork is a DVO Diamond. The LBS Loaned me a cheaper Bontrager stem with far fewer lightening holes and problem solved. We concluded that the BZA with its skeletal design combined with perhaps a more slick DVO steer tube was the cause. So possibly the new stem has not got enough surface area to hold?
    I'll definitely check on that as well when i get home. My new stem is RF turbine r35 32mm stem and it does have "less" surface vs. my stock Kona stem. Thanks for bringing this up. Will test it tonight.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    I'll definitely check on that as well when i get home. My new stem is RF turbine r35 32mm stem and it does have "less" surface vs. my stock Kona stem. Thanks for bringing this up. Will test it tonight.
    If the new stem has less stack height (the height of the part that attaches to the steer tube) then this could be the source of the knock. So you'll need another spacer or trim the tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If the new stem has less stack height (the height of the part that attaches to the steer tube) then this could be the source of the knock. So you'll need another spacer or trim the tube.
    The new stem actually has a higher stack, so I had to take out one of my 2mm spacer. All good now. I'm pretty sure the knocking I "felt" came from somewhere else on the bike. I also did a test where I hold the rear brake, lift front bike and turn handle bar 90 degree, then do a "wiggle" test and there is no play at all.

Went for a ride today to test out the new stem all it felt great.

Thanks all again for the insight.
    Kona Process 153 29er