WNC Native

Which has the larger volume - 2.5 DHF, 2.4 Goma, or 2.4 Trail Boss

Which of these 3 tires has the largest volume- 2.5 DHF, 2.4 Goma, or 2.4 Trail Boss?

Currently running a NN 2.6 on my custom hardtail. I'm good on the 2.6 knob width, but I need a tire with more narrow casing width than the 2.6 NN.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Live Free & Ride
    Magic Mary comes to mind. The 2.35 size is beefy at around 2.42 inches on i30 rims, 20 psi all you need. Casing should be a tad more narrow than the 2.6 NN you have now. Great tire for all conditions, especially wet mud or gravel - check it out!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Which of these 3 tires has the largest volume- 2.5 DHF, 2.4 Goma, or 2.4 Trail Boss?

Currently running a NN 2.6 on my custom hardtail. I'm good on the 2.6 knob width, but I need a tire with more narrow casing width than the 2.6 NN.
    You want LESS volume than the 2.6, but of these three tires, you want the one with the MOST volume? The one with the least volume will likely have the narrowest casing, if that's what you're looking for....I'm a bit confused. Do you just want a tire that is wider at the knobs than at the casing?

Rocks belong
    The Goma is a monster. It's a balloon.

I'd say: Goma highest volume and then tie for DHF/Trail Boss
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    The Goma is a monster. It's a balloon.

I'd say: Goma highest volume and then tie for DHF/Trail Boss
    Exactly what I was looking for thanks! I picked up a 2.5WT DHF to swap to, but may grab a Goma too later.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Have a set of Gomas on my SS ROS9, friend rode up thought they were plus at first. Very comfy riding casing too. Only bigger I've had on it was WTB Dissent 2.5s, rough ride though but hookup for days.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Uhhh, tire carcasses are circular in cross section so a wider tire will have more volume and vice versa. IMO, it's kinda silly to talk about volume.
    Do the math.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You want LESS volume than the 2.6, but of these three tires, you want the one with the MOST volume? The one with the least volume will likely have the narrowest casing, if that's what you're looking for....I'm a bit confused. Do you just want a tire that is wider at the knobs than at the casing?
    Thought I made it pretty clear, wanting the tire with the biggest volume (widest casing/ Bead to bead) out of these three mentioned tires. I like the volume of the 2.6 NN, however it's rubbing ever so slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Uhhh, tire carcasses are circular in cross section so a wider tire will have more volume and vice versa. IMO, it's kinda silly to talk about volume.
    How's that, when the whole post is about the largest volume tire under the NN 2.6............

mtbr member
    Thought I made it pretty clear, wanting the tire with the biggest volume (widest casing/ Bead to bead) out of these three mentioned tires. I like the volume of the 2.6 NN, however it's rubbing ever so slightly.
    It's not clear because the highest volume tire in that group may be wider than the Nobby Nic in question. Especially the Goma.

But you're right, I think, to concentrate on bead to bead. Measure the NoNi B2B and then pick the tire in your group that has the greatest without exceeding the B2B of the NoNi.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It's not clear because the highest volume tire in that group may be wider than the Nobby Nic in question. Especially the Goma.
    Highly doubt that, given that even on my 30mm internal width rim at 18psi, this NN casing is over 2.6" wide.

mtbr member
    Highly doubt that, given that even on my 30mm internal width rim at 18psi, this NN casing is over 2.6" wide.
    My NoNi on a 35 id is 2.5915".... I would check the sizes before buying.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-02-2017 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My goma is 64 mm at casing and 63.5 at tread on i36 rims.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    My goma is 64 mm at casing and 63.5 at tread on i36 rims.
    Thanks for the numbers! My DHF 2.5 WT is 61.5mm (2.420") at casing and 64.5mm (2.540") at knobs on i30, after one full day of sitting tubeless at 30 psi.