GX Eagle Cassette stuck on XD Freehub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

GX Eagle Cassette stuck on XD Freehub

Trying to remove the GX eagle cassette from my Bontrager Rapid Drive 108 hub with XD Drive Freehub on my ’20 Fuel EX 8 and can not get it to budge for the life of me. Using a park tool chain whip and the FR-5.5H cassette tool and all my not inconsiderable weight…like I’ve actually stood/jumped on it. Thoughts?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Systolic View Post
    Trying to remove the GX eagle cassette from my Bontrager Rapid Drive 108 hub with XD Drive Freehub on my ’20 Fuel EX 8 and can not get it to budge for the life of me. Using a park tool chain whip and the FR-5.5H cassette tool and all my not inconsiderable weight…like I’ve actually stood/jumped on it. Thoughts?
    I've heard from time to time on this board reports of some of these that were installed incorrectly by the bike company, as in too much torque. If this is a bike you bought locally, then take it back to that shop and have them remove it, make it their responsibility to remove and not damage. If not, some mainstays are penetrating oil and heat (for expansion). I've put these on and taken them off many times and it's obvious to me when they are on securely, it's nowhere near the amount of force you are describing to remove, so either someone over-torqued it when installing it, or they used some sort of locking compound (where heat comes into this). Either way, penetrating oil and heat.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    This bike came directly from the Trek factory, so there was no shop involved and the cassette was already installed in the box. Penetrating oil + heat gun + breaker bar is my next step I guess.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Systolic View Post
    This bike came directly from the Trek factory, so there was not shop involved and the cassette was already installed in the box. Penetrating oil + heat gun + breaker bar is my next step I guess.
    Personally I would take it to a Trek store and ask them to pop it off. They will probably do it for free.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    I'm not getting the weight reference or jumping on it.

I put the chain whip on one of the larger cogs, stand to the right of the wheel leaning against a wall or something, hold the whip with my left arm and push on the cassette lock ring wrench with my right arm. There's no weight directly involved in that. Extend the handles of the whip and wrench with pipe if necessary. It might be helpful to have an assistant steady things for you.

An alternative is to put the lock ring tool pointing upward in a bench vise. Put the wheel on that and use the chain whip to loosen the cassette. You can extend the handle of the chain whip with a piece of pipe. It might be helpful to have an assistant steady things for you.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    I would also:
    1. Take it to a shop. They've seen this before.
    2. Get someone to help. If you are off-axis at all on the removal tool, you may strip out some of the teeth. Then you're looking at a new cassette + a new XD driver.
    Put someone in charge of the chain whip and you can concentrate on keeping the removal tool in place properly while you apply torque.

mtbr member
    I would take it to a Trek shop. I have had the splines on the XD cassette break off and then you need to replace the entire driver and cassette

GX Eagle Cassette stuck on XD Freehub-20161009_124943-m.jpg

GX Eagle Cassette stuck on XD Freehub-20161009_125048-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Don't normally go to a shop for stuff like this, but I'm going to make an exception this time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    If it was cross threaded, I could imagine this happening. Some of these are so tight when new, it almost feels like they are cross threaded out of the box. I always grease these threads as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hit it with an impact gun... Just make sure it's going the right direction lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Personally I would take it to a Trek store and ask them to pop it off. They will probably do it for free.
    Exactly.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.